How to get Gretel from biting human flesh?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Internet experts are largely full of crap. Not a single one of them, from vets to Chewy to ASPCA, has had any worthwhile advice on anything. They said to immediately stop playing with her so she'll be mad that play stops when she bites and will stop biting because she wants to play. They also said to make a loud noise that she won't like to express my displeasure.

:dork:

Gretel thinks me stopping play IS play. When I pull my hands away, she lunges at them while wagging her tail. When I bark at her she tries to eat my face. When I try to distract her with a toy she *can* chew, she's like, "Mmmm....no....fleeeeesssssshhhhhhhh!"

brains.png

Any tips? I'd like her to stop sooner rather than later because I look like a pincushion and I want to be able to play with her.

On another note, her house training is going well. We are accident free today. :yahoo: And she's starting to come when I call her, so that's exciting.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Don't know about dogs, but I've seen a number of cat videos where if they are biting, you bite them back gently on the scruff of the neck like a mother cat would do. They stop pretty quick. Don't know if it would work on a dog, but let us know if you try it.... :whistle:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I would tap 'em on the nose and say "NO BITE"

After a few times, they seem to catch on.

Even my cat understands this. I'll say "NO BITE" and he stop and licks me with his sandpaper tongue.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What has worked without fail for me is that I have my pointer finger ready to flip the nose. When they would get close to the hand they would get a flip and eventually back off (especially if the flipping generates a sneeze).

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Don't know about dogs, but I've seen a number of cat videos where if they are biting, you bite them back gently on the scruff of the neck like a mother cat would do. They stop pretty quick. Don't know if it would work on a dog, but let us know if you try it.... :whistle:
Yep.

Ruby did that until I nipped her ear and after that, she understood. ( just enough to make the point, not too hard. )

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What has worked without fail for me is that I have my pointer finger ready to flip the nose. When they would get close to the hand they would get a flip and eventually back off (especially if the flipping generates a sneeze).

Well, I hate to physically punish my sweet tiny girl but this seems to be the winner. We had a training session last night - just a loud NO and boop on the nose - and after a few of those she gave up and settled down. This morning all I had to do was raise the finger and she was like, "Um...just a little....no?....okay...licklicklick" This is after two weeks of stopping play, removing myself, and hoping she'll eventually make the connection.

So why do you suppose "the experts" don't recommend this, which seems to have worked in a very short time, over the crap they suggest which doesn't work at all?

It's like "they" say puppies don't remember past a few seconds, yet Gretel remembers where Aunt Leigh and Aunt Peggy live after being there one time a week ago. She remembers that Uncle Tony has a dog she likes and she remembers that Aunt Jodie gives her treats. Now she seems to remember that if she bites me she's going to get reprimanded and whacked on the nose. So why do "animal experts" say stupid things that clearly aren't true?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's like "they" say puppies don't remember past a few seconds, yet Gretel remembers where Aunt Leigh and Aunt Peggy live after being there one time a week ago. She remembers that Uncle Tony has a dog she likes and she remembers that Aunt Jodie gives her treats. Now she seems to remember that if she bites me she's going to get reprimanded and whacked on the nose. So why do "animal experts" say stupid things that clearly aren't true?
:yay:

There are a lot os things "experts" have said about dogs over the years that ring Bull#### based on direct observation of the many I've had in my lifetime.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
So why do you suppose "the experts" don't recommend this, which seems to have worked in a very short time, over the crap they suggest which doesn't work at all?
Don't know, I just know what worked for me. Maybe its like the old adage about teachers - "Those that can do, those that can't teach".

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Well, I hate to physically punish my sweet tiny girl....

They don't suggest what works for doggies for the same reason they don't suggest you do what works with children, or criminals, or

See, now I've sent your doggie thread to the political side.

Sawry. :offtopic:

mitzi

Internet experts are largely full of crap. Not a single one of them, from vets to Chewy to ASPCA, has had any worthwhile advice on anything. They said to immediately stop playing with her so she'll be mad that play stops when she bites and will stop biting because she wants to play. They also said to make a loud noise that she won't like to express my displeasure.

:dork:

Gretel thinks me stopping play IS play. When I pull my hands away, she lunges at them while wagging her tail. When I bark at her she tries to eat my face. When I try to distract her with a toy she *can* chew, she's like, "Mmmm....no....fleeeeesssssshhhhhhhh!"

Just don't call the cops