How to get Gretel from biting human flesh?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
When our first GSD was a pup he would mouth, nip and bite us when playing. We would grab his lower jaw, place our thumb on his tongue and give him a firm NO!, Give kisses along with a dose of shaker can. When he stopped the behavior, we praised him and loved him up. No more biting within a couple of weeks but he had a hard time controlling his licker though.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Fleeeeeessssshhhhhh....."

IMG_20231201_215128_853~2.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of my favorite movies "Sound of Music" is on television.
Wondering how Gretel is doing?

She's doing peachy and is a good girl. She's now 6.5 lbs, she's doing a lot better with the nipping, house training is making progress, sleeps through most nights, she knows "Leave it!" and "Sit" and "Go potty". She laying on the floor gnawing a chewie right now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If anyone has advice on how to get her to tell us when she has to go potty, I'm all ears. I'm not sure if she's being trained or we are :jet: Is it just a matter of taking her out frequently and eventually she'll get it, or is there a trick to it? She's only 3.5 months old and can't really hold it yet, but at some point we'll want her to let us know when she has to go.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If anyone has advice on how to get her to tell us when she has to go potty, I'm all ears. I'm not sure if she's being trained or we are :jet: Is it just a matter of taking her out frequently and eventually she'll get it, or is there a trick to it? She's only 3.5 months old and can't really hold it yet, but at some point we'll want her to let us know when she has to go.
I've seen a lot of pets alerting with sound devices, like a bell on the door, or a buzzer they step on. Don't know the process to get them to use them. My dog would just stare at me and smile.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Bell on your door -

Go to Amazon type - door bells for dogs the first one that pops up is the one I have and it is on sale at $6.55 today.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Bell on your door -

Go to Amazon type - door bells for dogs the first one that pops up is the one I have and it is on sale at $6.55 today.

I bought one over the summer when I had my son's doodle and she went up and nudged it each time she wanted to go out. I was hoping my 2 dogs would catch on but they didn't. A day or two after hanging it, the cat's started to also ring the bells to go out.

Grumpy

Our dogs have different ways to let us know..One barks, one whines, one stares and one jumps against the door.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Our dogs have different ways to let us know..One barks, one whines, one stares and one jumps against the door.
Same - we have a Chorkie (Yorkshire Terrier & Chihuahua mix) that will just do that - sit - whine to go out. We rescued her during covid. She was 1 year old when we got her. She was most likely an Amish walk-off. She has been a great dog. A few weeks ago she did have a full blown temper tantrum after our son's dog chewed her favorite toy in half. Poor Grinch. I ordered her 2 new ones but they won't be here until after Christmas.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Reward her with praise and a treat when she goes. Get her used to whatever word you use (potty, tinkle) "Go potty'? "Good potty"

black dog

Free America
If it lives outside in a kennel, it doesn't have to tell you.
I would keep the dog in a I side kennel until you know it has to pee or poop. It will let you know when it's time. Take the dog out of the crate and carry it to the outside.
Don't let it walk, it will just pee in the house, carry it.
On biters, it needs a swift reaction just like a child that does it. When bitten, quickly fold over the end of one of his ears and squeeze a bit. You want the dog to give a little yelp. While squeezing tell it NO!! In a stern voice.