How to keep snakes out of the basement

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Really? Guess we have a different kind of basement...

Guess it depends on the size of your basement and how many mothballs you use :lol:

Lady across the street from me saw a black snake and spread a few boxes in her crawl space.
Couple of days later she had to get somebody to remove them and then spent a few days at a motel while her house aired out.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Guess it depends on the size of your basement and how many mothballs you use :lol:

Lady across the street from me saw a black snake and spread a few boxes in her crawl space.
Couple of days later she had to get somebody to remove them and then spent a few days at a motel while her house aired out.

A few boxes????? OK, now I see where the problem is, Houston. Good lord!
I used maybe a 1/2 box in a big, spread out, full sized, unfinished basement.

It only takes a few here and there. :buddies:

KDENISE977

:buddies: Thanks everyone, I'm going to try a few things, probly both the spray stuff as well as the moth balls for extra protection :buddies:

Hank

my war
DO NOT put mothballs in your basement.
In about two days you won't be able to breathe inside of your house

DO put them around the outside of your foundation and they'll keep the critters away from your house.

Yeah, but if you put them around the perimeter and there are already snakes within that perimeter then you have trapped them in said perimeter...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Best solution - move to Florida. There are no basements. The snakes, including all four ingenious poisonous snakes in the US, will be at ground level with you, including 2nd floors.

We just have to adapt to their levels.....:popcorn::popcorn:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Was it you that had the big snake ball in the yard that disappeared before you could get someone to get rid of it?

That video of the big snake breeding ball that someone posted on the thread still gives me nightmares.

Yes but they didn't disappear, I just got used to them and then fascinated by them and then scheduled time to stand on my porch and watch them. I had to desensitize myself in case they came in the house.

bcp

In My Opinion
Those that honestly think a snake can come in through plumbing, dont understand plumbing.
No, unless you drain directly into the woods with your toilet, a snake cannot make it to the toilet through the plumbing. even on septic they would have to get into your drain field pipes some 13 or so feed under the dirt, then make their way up and through the septic tank, then into the house plumbing, past the water traps, then into the toilet. Not likely.
Likely would be that the snake came in under a door, or through a crack somewhere and crawled into the bowl by way of the space under the toilet seat.
Sump pumps, more likely than house hold plumbing, but think about the way the plumbing is put together here. Certainly a snake could get into the drain pipe for your sump pump, and no doubt he could get all the way to the pump, but then he needs to get past the pump parts themselves, and then out of the small intakes on the bottom of that pump. Nothing bigger than a new born snake is really suited for this type of trip. again, not likely.

Hank

my war
Those that honestly think a snake can come in through plumbing, dont understand plumbing.
No, unless you drain directly into the woods with your toilet, a snake cannot make it to the toilet through the plumbing. even on septic they would have to get into your drain field pipes some 13 or so feed under the dirt, then make their way up and through the septic tank, then into the house plumbing, past the water traps, then into the toilet. Not likely.
Likely would be that the snake came in under a door, or through a crack somewhere and crawled into the bowl by way of the space under the toilet seat.
Sump pumps, more likely than house hold plumbing, but think about the way the plumbing is put together here. Certainly a snake could get into the drain pipe for your sump pump, and no doubt he could get all the way to the pump, but then he needs to get past the pump parts themselves, and then out of the small intakes on the bottom of that pump. Nothing bigger than a new born snake is really suited for this type of trip. again, not likely.

Yeah, but what about the dryer vent... :yikes:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Places I have personally discovered snakes in my lifetime:

Crawling along the baseboard heater (hot water pipes)
Kitchen sink
On the stove wrapped around a soup pot with his head in the pot
Top of the refrigerator
On the top of the refrigerator door
Window sills
Bath tub
Door frame
Strolling across the living room floor like he owned the place
In the dish cabinet
In the habitrail (rest in peace little gerbil)
On top of the television set
In the pump house
Wrapped around the oil burner
In every barn and out building
In the basement
In the washing machine
In the bird's nest on a porch
Lounging around on various tree branches

Hank

my war
Places I have personally discovered snakes in my lifetime:

Crawling along the baseboard heater (hot water pipes)
Kitchen sink
On the stove wrapped around a soup pot with his head in the pot
Top of the refrigerator
On the top of the refrigerator door
Window sills
Bath tub
Door frame
Strolling across the living room floor like he owned the place
In the dish cabinet
In the habitrail (rest in peace little gerbil)
On top of the television set
In the pump house
Wrapped around the oil burner
In every barn and out building
In the basement
In the washing machine
In the bird's nest on a porch
Lounging around on various tree branches

What about tube snakes? :shrug:

MMM_donuts

Yes but they didn't disappear, I just got used to them and then fascinated by them and then scheduled time to stand on my porch and watch them. I had to desensitize myself in case they came in the house.

Do you feel desensitized? I've already seen one while jogging in my neighborhood and I thought it might be best to desensitize myself so I don't do the "I just saw a snake" dance right into oncoming traffic. The people of Wildewood don't take too kindly to my running on the should of the road for the 1/10 mile by the airport where there isn't a pedestrian lane so I'm either going to have to change up my running route or get back in the grass and figure out how to not panic when I see a snake.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Do you feel desensitized? I've already seen one while jogging in my neighborhood and I thought it might be best to desensitize myself so I don't do the "I just saw a snake" dance right into oncoming traffic. The people of Wildewood don't take too kindly to my running on the should of the road for the 1/10 mile by the airport where there isn't a pedestrian lane so I'm either going to have to change up my running route or get back in the grass and figure out how to not panic when I see a snake.

Well I think its just a matter of expecting to see them and looking for them. Its the surprise that jolts you. I do better in the pet store now. Unless its looking right at me then I'm completely intimidated.