How to order whiskey

TPD

the poor dad
I bit late for the holiday festivities but can still be helpful for tonight's outing -

image.jpg

Dukesdad

I have been trying a few different types of bourbon lately. My current favorite is Russell's Reserve by Wild Turkey. it's 110 proof single barrel. It's very smooth and tasty...

TPD

the poor dad
I have been trying a few different types of bourbon lately. My current favorite is Russell's Reserve by Wild Turkey. it's 110 proof single barrel. It's very smooth and tasty...

This is a good rye whiskey -

image.jpg

ReadingTheNews

Only Wisky from Scotland can be spelled without the 'e', all other Wiskey must have the 'e'.
Only Irish Wiskey can be triple distilled.

Or:

Much is made of the word's two spellings: whisky and whiskey. There are two schools of thought on the issue. One is that the spelling difference is simply a matter of regional language convention for the spelling of a word, indicating that the spelling varies depending on the intended audience or the background or personal preferences of the writer (like the difference between color and colour; tire and tyre; or recognize and recognise), and the other is that the spelling should depend on the style or origin of the spirit being described. There is general agreement that when quoting the proper name printed on a label, the spelling on the label should not be altered. Some writers refer to "whisk(e)y" or "whisky/whiskey" to acknowledge the variation.

The spelling whiskey is common in Ireland and the United States while whisky is used in every other whisky producing country in the world. In the US, the usage has not always been consistent. From the late eighteenth century to the mid twentieth century American writers used both spellings interchangeably until the introduction of newspaper style guides. Since the 1960s, American writers have increasingly used whiskey as the accepted spelling for aged grain spirits made in the US and whisky for aged grain spirits made outside the US. However, some prominent American brands, such as George Dickel, Maker's Mark, and Old Forester (all made by different companies), use the 'whisky' spelling on their labels, and the Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, the legal regulations for spirit in the US, also use the 'whisky' spelling throughout.

"Scotch" is the internationally recognized term for "Scotch whisky".

From that infallible source :)sarcasm:) known as Wikipedia.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I got tanked on Courvoisier at Vince's on Christmas. Monello had to tell me how to pronounce it.

Oh, and I was drinking it straight, over ice.

Hijinx

I spell Scotch K-e-r-o-s-e-n-e.

I would as soon drink one as the other. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks

TPD

the poor dad

So if I drink a grasshopper or 2 every day, I should live forever!

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-dairy-may-lower-blood-pressure-CVD-risk.aspx

the analysis revealed that as total dairy, low-fat dairy and milk (just over two cups a day) consumption increased, the risk for high blood pressure decreased. Milk intake was not statistically significantly associated with risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and total mortality.

TPD

the poor dad
I spell Scotch K-e-r-o-s-e-n-e.

I would as soon drink one as the other. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks

Tried some brandy 2 weeks ago for the 1st time and felt the same way. But I've got a fifth so, maybe I will like it by the time I get to the bottom...

bulldog

An even better reason to get top shelf whiskey, courtesy of the US military:

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...-largest-buyer-of-jack-daniel-s-single-barrel

And one of the big commands is right here in my 'hood - MacDill AFB.

Yep! When you buy a full barrel of the J.D. Single Barrel they will wood burn the barrel with your command logo / name on it and each bottle from that barrel comes with a "necklace" with that same command logo / name.

The PAX NEX was going to do a promotion where, for every bottle you purchased, you got a ticket. When all of the bottles were sold, they would hold a drawing and the winner got the empty barrel that the J.D. had been stored in. Not sure what became of that idea.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
My favorites:

Everyday Irish: Tullamore Dew

Favorite Single Malt: Bushmills 21 YO

Scotch: Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Local: Bowman Brothers (Fredericksburg) their head distiller used to work at Buffalo Trace

Honorable Mention: Angel's Envy (Cool bottle)

And nobody beats Nicks (Waldorf/PF) prices outside a base

Last edited: