How would you feel if...

Is it ok to quarter a deer in a parking lot of a grocery store?

• Ew, thats disgusting, take your deer cleaning elsewhere. Its not my business if it spoils or not.

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Sure. The meat is better tasting and better for you than the stuff sold in that store anyhow.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I don't really care either way, its not like I have to look at the deer if I don't want to.

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters

SoMDGirl42

I probably would have thought it was gross, and if I had my 2 year old with me it would have upset me more to let her see that, however, I don't like seeing the butcher in the grocery store cutting up the meat either. It's surprising I do eat meat, but I won't eat it with a bone in it. Weird.

Anyway, it would have been more respectful if you had gone around back to do it and not taken the chance to po anyone. Congrats on your kill. I'm glad to hear you are using the meat and not just killing for the sport.

There more I thought about this, can you imagine someone taking the trash out the next morning and seeing a puddle of blood in the parking lot. I can so see the mobile crime lab on the scene now. :killingme

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
All of us one time or another have to be reminded that just because our actions at the time seemed not out of the ordinary does not necessarily mean is justified in the eyes of others. Women breast feeding in public, wearing of certain clothing on Airlines are just a couple of common circumstances that can upset or offend. A little for thought (common sense) before taking the plunge will keep any negative attention at the minimum.

They can get over it. I'm not changing my behaviour, or hiding an action that 200 years ago wasn't only not taboo to see, but NECESSARY to partake in to survive because some psychotically sensitive schmuck has a problem with it.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That reminds me...

Two hunters were dragging their dead deer back to their car.

Another hunter approached pulling his along too.

"Hey, I don't want to tell you how to do something ... but I can tell you that it's much easier if you drag the deer in the other direction. Then the antlers won't dig into the ground."

After the third hunter left, the two decided to try it.

A little while later one hunter said to the other, "You know, that guy was right. This is a lot easier!"

"Yeah, but we're getting farther from the truck," the other added.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Two hunters were dragging their dead deer back to their car.

Another hunter approached pulling his along too.

"Hey, I don't want to tell you how to do something ... but I can tell you that it's much easier if you drag the deer in the other direction. Then the antlers won't dig into the ground."

After the third hunter left, the two decided to try it.

A little while later one hunter said to the other, "You know, that guy was right. This is a lot easier!"

"Yeah, but we're getting farther from the truck," the other added.

:killingme

BernieP

Resident PIA
There wasn't a mess made...

I guess i should clarify.

quartering is just the division of the deer (after its been skinned, but we kept the skin...we wouldn't leave a mess for the store.) into big pieces to be put in a cooler to keep cold until you can actually take the meat off.

The gutting is done right there in the field or whatever, thats why its referred to as "field dressing". that is when you take all the organs out.
10-4 In which case I have no problem with it. Oh, kids should know where thos big Macs come from (or in this case Bambi Burgers) yum

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I can see where non-hunters would be offended by this, I agree with behind the building. I'm not surprised such a big deal was made about it.

The whole kids and bambi thing?......my daughter has no problem with eating deer and is fully aware of the whole hunting, processing, etc. because she's always been exposed to it.

Funny - we went to the mountains recently, where we stayed the deer were VERY tame and came right up to the decks to be fed apples. My daughter oos and aas over how pretty they are and in the next breath turns to her dad and says, "you should have brought your gun, we could have filled the freezer." -- Husband say's "that's my girl!"
Thought I would die laughing.

Reminded me of our "kids same the darndest things..." story:

Our cat (Charlie Hobo) had been missing for a few days. Dad spotted cat in the ditch while turning into the driveway. Dad stopped, picked the cat up, and laid him in the back of the pickup.

Two-yr-old son was sniffling and asked what daddy was going to do with the cat. Daddy replied that we would take him home and bury him.

Two-yr-old promptly burst into tears, howling "Daddy, you can't bury Charlie Hobo...

...there's a lot of good meat on him!"

Thought the older boys (7 & 9) would die! We laughed over that one for years! Boy is 17 now, and still gets embarassed when we repeat this story.

(My freezer always has venison in it - YUM!)

Last edited:

General Lee

Were you skinning it as well or just quartering it up? I wouldn't skin it in the parking lot, like one said, too many Anti's out there. But quartering it....... a little on the un-normal side. Its not much different from the butchers inside hacking up steaks and such but you being outside..... its not something you normally see. I think thats why the people got up tight.

We normally throw bags of loose ice into the cavity to keep it cool if it is that hot out... if I HAD to quarter it, I would move to the end of the parking lot - somwhere out of direct view, but that is me...

Normally, you would skin it before you quarter it though; at least that is the way I was taught...