Hydrogen power...neglected option on the East coast

Hessian

I have long advocated for further development of Hydrogen power. I know California has made a 'gesture' in that direction. it looks like the best option would be to link it to solar power...and it can be used for a self sufficient home or transportation (cars). I suspect some of our inspired engineers on base have looked at it too. I suspect if the Biden administration vigorously attacks our petroleum industry cheered on by idiots of the squad,...we have to consider viable alternatives.

So...anyone local interest in pursuing hydrogen? We might get ahead of the regulations that would be forthcoming once hydrogen starts to spread its appeal.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
yeah but is this going to be a net loss like Ethanol

It takes more energy to produce, there by increasing CO2 Emissions from production, thasnthe CO2 is saved

glhs837

Power with Control
yeah but is this going to be a net loss like Ethanol

It takes more energy to produce, there by increasing CO2 Emissions from production, thasnthe CO2 is saved

We have a winner. What works for one guy doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Once you scale up the production and storage and shipment of the hydrogen, you are really no farther ahead.

black dog

Free America
Most Walmart distribution centers use Hydrogen to run all there different forklift rolling stock.
Its pretty impressive.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think this is why compressed NatG was a better option for vehicles

If you used solar you could have independent stations that only needed a well, but how fast could you really make hydrogen, cracking well water

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If you used solar you could have independent stations that only needed a well, but how fast could you really make hydrogen, cracking well water
I used to do that for kicks and giggles. Using a 12VDC battery charger and two probes into a coke bottle of water and acid, it took about 4 hours to fill the bottle. Use two bottles to separate the O2 and H, and it takes a little over 2 hours. Granted, that's very small scale, but it's not a fast process.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I used to do that for kicks and giggles. Using a 12VDC battery charger and two probes into a coke bottle of water and acid, it took about 4 hours to fill the bottle. Use two bottles to separate the O2 and H, and it takes a little over 2 hours. Granted, that's very small scale, but it's not a fast process.
The explains the bright light on the horizon from over your way...

Hessian

We have a winner. What works for one guy doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Once you scale up the production and storage and shipment of the hydrogen, you are really no farther ahead.
Comes down to the economic principle of profitability. Small scale could possibly be viable...until Government regulations & inspectors kick in.
If panels, converters, storage tanks, monitors have a heavy up front cost...how long before it pays for itself? If a home & car cost 500/month for electricity and gas...and your infrastructure runs 20k...its paid for in 3 years, 4 months...then consider upgrades & replacements.

Intriguing. Would the infrastructure run more than 20K??

black dog

Free America
Comes down to the economic principle of profitability. Small scale could possibly be viable...until Government regulations & inspectors kick in.
If panels, converters, storage tanks, monitors have a heavy up front cost...how long before it pays for itself? If a home & car cost 500/month for electricity and gas...and your infrastructure runs 20k...its paid for in 3 years, 4 months...then consider upgrades & replacements.

Intriguing. Would the infrastructure run more than 20K??

I dont know what it costs for hydrogen infrastructure but when you look at the cost once installed it not much when compaired to equipment running on propane, CNG or batterys.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
:lol: I wanted to use that word but just couldn't get the spelling right, so I gave up.....

BTW, that coke bottle that's now filled with H and O2.... put it front of a flame and you get a real nice BANG as the elements recombine. Pretty loud.

Hessian

The engineer in the article apparently has equipped several homes but was not forthcoming with whom he has contracted with.
I suspect the unmentioned drawback is the 'mastery' of a dual energy system. One should have a fundamental knowledge AND be able to consult with professionals if problems arise. Access to replacement parts??

I have a remote parcel that we plan to retire on...no moving water, yet plenty of sun...potential for geo-thermal heating/cooling. Wondering if solar/hydrogen would meet all the other needs.

Hessian

Don't discount methane generation from the septic/compost system. Reliable, low pressure, minimal infrastructure, no additional energy to produce.
ANOTHER option that has had little discussion recently. I suppose if we opt for some farm animals...that certainly has more potential!
Is small-scale methane recovery/usage viable for a homestead?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Is small-scale methane recovery/usage viable for a homestead?
Don't know, haven't really read up on it, but I would have to think it's possible for cooking at a minimum. 3rd world countries use methane to cook because they run out of wood to burn.