Hypothetical here...

BuddyLee

Football addict
Chain729 said:
That's what I would do. If he didn't get the hint, at 3 am when the younger pup wanted to pee, I'd kick his cans over and let her have at it. Being the sterotypical 6 mo-old lab that she is, he'd be busy for awhile.

By "those neighbors" are they just #######s or are they the cop calling type?
Both.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
punjabigyrl said:
Hnnnmmmm sounds horrible. I had a problem of the dogs doing thier business in my yard so I put tons of cayenne pepper where the dogs sniffed, I also put tons of cat food for the dogs. So thier nose burned and the had a bad case of diahrrea. and the next time I got my shot gun and waited like clock work the owner let them out and pointed at my house and as soon as he saw me take aim....they got dragged out of there...I shot pretty close to one of the dogs foot.... The owner just looked at me. then I picked up the crap and put it in his yard. Never had that problem again.
:lol: I have this mental picture of Granny Clampett.

greyhound

If you and your neighbors Call animal control enough times, the dog becomes a nusience animal. No video needed. A dog in my neighborhood barked all day & night. You have to fill out paper work with a complaint. 2 of my neighbors did this. Everytime animal control came out to ivestigate the owner was fined. He never payed the fines so he was summonsed to court. He didn't show up for court, the judge put out a bench warrent. He was arrested later that day. He finally moved.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Barbra said:
If you harm or poison those dogs, Buddy, you can be charged with cruelty to animals per Animal Control Regulations:

§212.5 CRUELTY

A. It shall be a violation of these Regulations for any person to:
(3) Administer poison to any animal, knowingly place, or leave any poisonous or other harmful substance with intent to injure or kill any animal other than vermin.
(5) Cause, arrange, or participate in authorize these acts.

My suggestion is that you contact Tony Malaspina, Supervisor of Animal Control, at (301) 475-4200 Ext. 2115 on Monday after 8 am.

Do land mines fall under these rules. Its quick and potentially painless if you step on it just right! :lmao:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Barbra said:
I don't find you funny.

If you can't control your animals and the law will not assist you in the cause then whatever it takes to neutralize the situation is what it takes. I am kidding about the land mines as most normal people in this forum can see but if someone breaks out high powered sniper rifle and blows the dogs to pieces then I won't lose any sleep over it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Barbra said:
(3) Administer poison to any animal, knowingly place, or leave any poisonous or other harmful substance with intent to injure or kill any animal other than vermin.
That would be awfully hard to prove. Putting ammonia or cayenne in your own trash isn't against the law and it's hardly your fault if someone's dog rips your bag open and gets a snootful.

Putting out anti-freeze to lure the dog would probably fall under that law (not to mention cruel and not the best way to handle it). But I don't think BuddyLee wants to hurt or kill the dog - just wants to deter it from ripping open his trash bags, which is not unreasonable.

People shouldn't let their animals run loose and cause problems, then they wouldn't have to worry about it. :shrug:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
vraiblonde said:
That would be awfully hard to prove. Putting ammonia or cayenne in your own trash isn't against the law and it's hardly your fault if someone's dog rips your bag open and gets a snootful.

Putting out anti-freeze to lure the dog would probably fall under that law (not to mention cruel and not the best way to handle it). But I don't think BuddyLee wants to hurt or kill the dog - just wants to deter it from ripping open his trash bags, which is not unreasonable.

People shouldn't let their animals run loose and cause problems, then they wouldn't have to worry about it. :shrug:

Yeah, what she said!

:thewave:

keekee

There is a fine for having an "Animal at Large". There are more fines if you don't have proof of UTD shots, or if your animal is not licensed, plus the fee you pay when you pick up your animal from the shelter.

Call Animal Control. Just tell them there is a nuisance dog that is running around your neighborhood. They'll do the rest.

Homer J

Power Chord
Vince said:
First call animal control. Then a pellet gun is a good deterent. As soon as you see them in the trash can vicinity....if that doesn't work, I've built a wooden box to house mine. Never had a problem with animals getting into it.

I would recommend against the pellet gun. My brother used this solution a few years ago. Unfortunatly the dog's owner happend to be a county judge. Bro was arrested for animal cruelty, forced to pay the vet bills, and put on probation for a year. My recommendation, Paintball Gun. Stings like hell and the owner can see the results.

My nephew on the other hand utilized the other alternative. His neighbor's dogs came on their property and almost killed his dog and the guy wouldn't do anything about it. Needles to say, the neighbor's critters are now sleeping in a dirt doghouse. The neighbor hasn't said a word about it either.

Last edited:

Animals4Life

Homer J said:
I would recommend against the pellet gun. My brother used this solution a few years ago. Unfortunatly the dog's owner happend to be a county judge. Bro was arrested for animal cruelty, forced to pay the vet bills, and put on probation for a year. My recommendation, Paintball Gun. Stings like hell and the owner can see the results.

My nephew on the other hand utilized the other alternative. His neighbor's dogs came on their property and almost killed his dog and the guy wouldn't do anything about it. Needles to say, the neighbor's critters are now sleeping in a dirt doghouse. The neighbor hasn't said a word about it either.
Oh My!!!! I agree with whomever advised you to call Animal Control. It is against the law for the dogs to be running at large and it is not like you have not tried every other reasonable attempt to alert the owner as to what was going on. In this situation the owner will be fined and maybe the dogs will take a trip to the shelter and the owner will have to pay to reclaim them as well. That does sound like a pain in de ars. If they wind up dead then you could be sued if it is ever proven and I am one for humane efforts at all costs but you do have to do something.

greyhound

Homer J said:

I had a neighbor that shot another neighbors dog. He had asked them several times to keep the dog on their property. The dog had run after his grandchildren. When the police investigated he was cited, not for killing the dog, but for discharging a firearm within so many feet of another house.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
greyhound said:
When the police investigated he was cited, not for killing the dog, but for discharging a firearm within so many feet of another house.
:eyebrow:

I'm going to buy an island and go live there. Then I can shoot trespassers without the cops getting in my face about it.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Get the cans which sit in a rolling cart so he can't tip them over, and tie the cans across the lids and onto to the cart so the lids don't pup off when it falls over if he tips the whole shebang. the lids popping off is actually his reward and if that doesn't happen, he's not rewarded. Inside and outside of the can, put something like hot sauce or some other deterrent all over the top of the can, and down the sides so it is especially nasty. you have to be consistent with the stuff, so it's ALWAYS there, and after a few times he'll begin to associate trash cans with a burning nose sensation. I would request the animal control bring out live traps for the area in which the cans are placed. He shouldn't be there. the neighbor will see them and know they are specifically for the dog and perhaps get the idea and restrain his dog. Gotta love the country way of life.

D

dems4me

happyappygirl said:
Get the cans which sit in a rolling cart so he can't tip them over, and tie the cans across the lids and onto to the cart so the lids don't pup off when it falls over if he tips the whole shebang. the lids popping off is actually his reward and if that doesn't happen, he's not rewarded. Inside and outside of the can, put something like hot sauce or some other deterrent all over the top of the can, and down the sides so it is especially nasty. you have to be consistent with the stuff, so it's ALWAYS there, and after a few times he'll begin to associate trash cans with a burning nose sensation. I would request the animal control bring out live traps for the area in which the cans are placed. He shouldn't be there. the neighbor will see them and know they are specifically for the dog and perhaps get the idea and restrain his dog. Gotta love the country way of life.

good idea... also sounds like a good deterrent for Racoons and possums as well!! :clap: