Hyundai Elantra Road Traction?

hamsterfang

The hamster litter reject
I just received a used 2000 Hyundai Elantra only several months ago, and today was the first day I have driven it in the snow. Although I never "lost control" of my car (I was able to gain control of it), it did jump around and slide quite a bit, even when going very slow. This didn't happen once, either. It also had major trouble getting going on the road after it came to a complete stop. I've never had this problem with other cars of mine, and its a bit of a concern. The tires appear to be in decent condition, but I was wondering if they have snow tires for such little cars. :ohwell:

SeaRide

Leadfoot?

j/k...

Not sure how your car tracks, but why don't you have the wheels checked for alignment? Make sure it tracks straight and true so it won't slide for no reason.

Just a thought.

MerF

You smell funny
No offense, but it IS a hyundai...not exactly the most sought after car for it's exciting features or safety ratings...it was probably doing all it CAN do.

dustin

UAIOE
does it have a limited slip differential or traction control?

how does the ABS work if equipped?

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Ehhh you would think with no torque the car would be great in the snow.. I would lend to the fact that maybe there is a set of tires on it not made for truely all weather..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
hamsterfang said:
I just received a used 2000 Hyundai Elantra :blahblah: Although I never "lost control" of my car (I was able to gain control of it), it did jump around and slide quite a bit, even when going very slow. This didn't happen once, either. :blahblah: . The tires appear to be in decent condition, but I was wondering if they have snow tires for such little cars. :ohwell:
huntr1 said:
My bet is on bad tires.
Safe bet. Yes they make "Winter" tires for your car. Check out the Tire Rack if you want to use dedicated winter tires.
If the car is "jumping around", second best guess would be driver error.

hamsterfang

The hamster litter reject
MerF said:
No offense, but it IS a hyundai...not exactly the most sought after car for it's exciting features or safety ratings...it was probably doing all it CAN do.

None taken :) It has been very reliable when it comes to starting...my old car, an 89 Olds Wagon, couldn't be counted on even for that! It also enjoyed randomly stalling in dangerous places and once even stalled out right in front of the STAR repair shop in Lusby.