I Did It!

elaine said:
Never heard of it, but I wasn't thrilled with the NCRF, so I won't be returning anyway.
We've done MD a bazillion times, hit PA quite a few times... I have never hit the VA Fest, but my sister wasn't impressed when she went... we never hit the NC one. I think the VA one is under new ownership now tho... maybe we have to hit that one.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
kwillia said:
We've done MD a bazillion times, hit PA quite a few times... I have never hit the VA Fest, but my sister wasn't impressed when she went... we never hit the NC one. I think the VA one is under new ownership now tho... maybe we have to hit that one.

VA is still very small. New owner 2 years ago. She mortgaged her life to keep the VARF fair going, and without our patronage, she'll lose everything. I'm sure MDRF wasn't that good it's first couple of years, but devoted patrons made it a success.

What I didn't like about NC was that it is far too commercial, and I didn't get that "warm and fuzzy" that I get with VA or MD. What I like about VA is that it is small, so you get swept up in the actual story line. MD is so big that you miss a lot of it. In NC, if I hadn't read the web site, I wouldn't have even known what the story line was. Other things I didn't like was having so many modern structures that you couldn't take a good pic from any angle, we weren't allowed to interact with other patrons (we usually give trinkets to the kids), and you have to stay in the "cattle cage" to drink your beer, rather than being able to walk around with it. NC has tons of rules.

That's good stuff to know. On our way to Fredricksburg a couple weeks ago... my sis mentioned wanting to give the VA one another try... we'll have to check out the website.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
kwillia said:
That's good stuff to know. On our way to Fredricksburg a couple weeks ago... my sis mentioned wanting to give the VA one another try... we'll have to check out the website.

You should give another try. I like the idea that we're growing with it. We know a lot of people, so when we're there it's like old home week. FB manages to weasel his way into the acts, too. Funny.

Agee

elaine said:
Other things I didn't like was having so many modern structures that you couldn't take a good pic from any angle, we weren't allowed to interact with other patrons (we usually give trinkets to the kids), and you have to stay in the "cattle cage" to drink your beer, rather than being able to walk around with it. NC has tons of rules<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->.
Rules should be chucked out the window at any Renfest.

Triggerfish

RoseRed said:
Kewl! We are going from July 5 - 9 and I am getting really excited about it now that it is all booked and ready to go! :biggrin:

OUCH!!! High season. I grew up in Orlando and my father worked at EPCOT center so we had pretty much unlimited admission in the Disney parks. Going early is the best. If you can get there when the park opens, otherwise you'll wait about 90 minutes for a ride like dumbo. Get the speedpasses. BTW I didn't see you state what park speciffically you would be visiting in Disney.

Magic Kingdom?
EPCOT?
Disney-MGM studios?
Animal Kingdom?

If you're going to Magic Kingdom do not miss "Mickey's PhilharMagic." It is the new 3-D movie. Not only is the movie 3-D they use 4 of your 5 sense. Sight, hearing, smell, and touch.

Also are you staying at a Disney Resort or a non-Disney hotel off Disney grounds? Staying at a Disney hotel gives you some benefits such as early park admissions sometimes, you can drops off merchandise you buy at certain places in the parks and they'll deliver it to your hotel room, free transportation within WDW. You can get ride between the parks, Downtown Disney, the hotel and other places. They provide transportation from Orlando international and according to them you don't even have to pick up your luggage they'll take it from your plane to your hotel room.

Disney All_star resorts start at about $80 a night.

Last edited:

Triggerfish

RoseRed said:
That is my plan. Go early in the morning and early part of the day. Then go back to he hotel and hang at the pool, then back out for fireworks.

Someone else alse suggested that we pre-schedule breakfast at Cinderalla Castle.

Unless you feel you'd be too worn out you may want to try Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach water parks in Disney.

Tina2001aniT

RoseRed said:
Thanks! Chicklet will turn 6 a few days before we go. We plan on going to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. We will be staying here: http://www.comfortsuitesfl.com/

I do not know what you will be paying for that room, but if it is similiar to what you would pay at the disney all star resorts (the cheapest ones at disney) it is definately worth it to stay at a disney hotel, the perks are VERY nice......

When we went last year my kiddo was 5 and we all agreed that animal kingdom, except for the lion king show, was definately our last choice in parks, just didn't "do it" for us......I would definately consider epcot instead.....you had mentioned fireworks.....I have never seen fireworks as nice as the ones at Epcot, they are a must see....IMO Epcot is much nicer than Animal Kingdom....

Also someone had suggested you get a book, they sell them at the disney store and are a wonderful help in planning your trip.....

OMG whatever you guys decide to do, you will have a BLAST....I am so jealous...

Makavide

Not too talkative
RoseRed said:
That is my plan. Go early in the morning and early part of the day. Then go back to he hotel and hang at the pool, then back out for fireworks.

Someone else alse suggested that we pre-schedule breakfast at Cinderalla Castle.

If you hope to have breakfast with Cinderella, you definetyl want to pre-book the seating. If you wait till you are already at Disney you will never get a seat. You can make the reservation upto 90 days before you go. (and for July time frame if you wait to try and book it less then 75 days out you may not get a reservation. The number to call for dining reservations is 407-WDW-DINE (407-939-3463). So I would recommend you call today for Cinderella dining.

(We are fgoing or the second time in 1.5 years, July 16 - July 23, staying in the park - which is the way to go in my opinion)

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
elaine said:
Oh, gawd! I hate DisneyWorld. I hope you both have a great time, though.
:lol: :yeahthat: I'm not into the 'disney' thing either ... we just went to take DQ since her dad bailed on his promise to do it last summer. I had a far better time at the tiki bar and heated pool at our resort. :martini:

Hope you and chicklet have a great time, RR! :cheers:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Makavide said:
If you hope to have breakfast with Cinderella, you definetyl want to pre-book the seating. If you wait till you are already at Disney you will never get a seat. You can make the reservation upto 90 days before you go. (and for July time frame if you wait to try and book it less then 75 days out you may not get a reservation. The number to call for dining reservations is 407-WDW-DINE (407-939-3463). So I would recommend you call today for Cinderella dining.

(We are fgoing or the second time in 1.5 years, July 16 - July 23, staying in the park - which is the way to go in my opinion)
Thank you! I have to call back tomorrow. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
:lol: :yeahthat: I'm not into the 'disney' thing either ... we just went to take DQ since her dad bailed on his promise to do it last summer. I had a far better time at the tiki bar and heated pool at our resort. :martini:

Hope you and chicklet have a great time, RR! :cheers:

She has been asking to go and is at a good age for it, so what the heck. Myself, I would rather be laying on the beach somewhere in the Carib with a Pina Colada. :martini:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
kwillia said:
On the way to Quantico passed a REN site that has a for sale sign on it, is this the same one?

B

baswm

Animal Kingdom is at the bottom of the disney parks in my opinion as well.

Elle

Happy Camper!
RoseRed said:

Make sure you make your reservations early, this seems to be the most popular one they offer. I think you can reserve up to 90 days in advance.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Elle said:
Make sure you make your reservations early, this seems to be the most popular one they offer. I think you can reserve up to 90 days in advance.
Already done. Made them for lunch instead though. :yay:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Tina2001aniT said:
When we went last year my kiddo was 5 and we all agreed that animal kingdom, except for the lion king show, was definately our last choice in parks, just didn't "do it" for us......I would definately consider epcot instead.....you had mentioned fireworks.....I have never seen fireworks as nice as the ones at Epcot, they are a must see....IMO Epcot is much nicer than Animal Kingdom....
We were let down by Animal Kingdom as well, it's a great park and I'm glad we went just to say we have been there but when we go back I think we'll skip it. The safari was really nice but nothing that I don't think you can't see at the zoo and the white water rapids ride was nothing like we were expecting ~ a huge letdown from all the talk and hype. MK was the best followed by MGM (and we only finished 1/2 the park in the one day we went). I liked EPCOT but hubby and Ty were bored by World Showcase.

marianne

Triggerfish said:
OUCH!!! High season. I grew up in Orlando and my father worked at EPCOT center...

You're the right person to ask - when is the best time to go to Disney? I would have expected the answer to be summer 'cause I figured no one wants to be in FL in the summer but I guess not!

My DD told me the other day she wants to meet Mulan and say hi to her. I should have bit my tongue but said Mulan lives at Disney World; and so does Cinderella and Snow White and :blahblah: . Well of course now I'm getting "When are we going to Disney World?" every day now. So I'd like to start planning a trip, especially while my brother is living in Orlando. I just don't know when is a good time to go.

I've heard good things about a report you can get somewhere off the web. It's like $14. You input the dates and types of activities you want to do there and it gives you a minute-by-minute itinerary of exactly what rides you should go on based on their massive database of ride wait times. I've heard it saves you hours by following this itinerary. It's called RideMax - here's a link http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/ms030919.htm. Unfortunately I think it's only for DisneyLand and not DisneyWorld.

Last edited: