I have a couple of driving rants

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Something I forgot to add to my post is that I, too, use my cruise control. If i don't I find myself going much faster than I want to go. So, I know I'm maintaining a constant speed. I also don't linger in the left lane. When I pass, I do so quickly. I will speed up substantially just to get around the person and get out of the left lane. But, like you, I have had it happen to me countless times that the person I am passing will speed up, as if to say "oh no, you're not passing me".

We have a Subaru with Dynamic Cruise. I set it to 65 and it will do 65 until it comes upon slower traffic, it then slows to their speed and maintains a set distance, even stops behind the car in front of you at stop lighst.. stop signs.. or when the drive in front of you panic stops for whatever god only knows reason.

This works great until Saturday we're cruising up 235 towards Lexington Park and we come upon a slower car.. don't think anything of it. After a couple of miles I look back and traffic is backing up, I look down and the Jackalope is doing 30 - 35... I never even noticed, was just letting the car do it's thing.

black dog

Free America
We have a Subaru with Dynamic Cruise. I set it to 65 and it will do 65 until it comes upon slower traffic, it then slows to their speed and maintains a set distance, even stops behind the car in front of you at stop lighst.. stop signs.. or when the drive in front of you panic stops for whatever god only knows reason.

This works great until Saturday we're cruising up 235 towards Lexington Park and we come upon a slower car.. don't think anything of it. After a couple of miles I look back and traffic is backing up, I look down and the Jackalope is doing 30 - 35... I never even noticed, was just letting the car do it's thing.

I've been told a time or two from the roomie in the passenger seat, hey pick up the pace a little the Bluehairs are passing us.

thurley42

HY;FR
The same old SOMD thread about traffic.....people get offended because someone passes them and want to attack anyone driving over the speed limit lmao......

I saw a few people talking about 70, 79, and 68.....I drive home to just north of Dayton 4-6 times a year and as soon as I clear 270 it's a pleasant smooth trip...coming back I don't see my first left land campers typically until I hit Hagerstown.

thurley42

HY;FR
The same old SOMD thread about traffic.....people get offended because someone passes them and want to attack anyone driving over the speed limit lmao......

I saw a few people talking about 70, 79, and 68.....I drive home to just north of Dayton 4-6 times a year and as soon as I clear 270 it's a pleasant smooth trip...coming back I don't see my first left land campers typically until I hit Hagerstown.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have to confess to doing - from time to time - one of the things that pisses off almost everyone...

Driving at the speed limit in the left lane.

But I have a reason, and it's fairly infuriating.
A typical example. I'm heading up 235 and there's a good amount of traffic. I'm passing St. John's and the CVS, but I will eventually make a left turn up on 245 (Hollywood Road).
It's easily a MILE away.

Now, I'm minding my own business doing the speed limit on the right. I start to move over to the left, and people start speeding up to keep me out. I can now SEE the turn up ahead.
I signal - NOW, the idiot who's been tailgating me IN THE SLOW LANE also decides that NOW, he wants to pass me - right after I've signaled to change lanes. You know - out of his way.
By this time, there's a line of people due to the schmuck behind me and I still can't get over. I decided to slow down, because - I'm running out of TIME. Signal still going.
I can't get over. At all. Everyone is zooming past me. So I miss my turn and finally do a U-turn at the fire house -

The next time - I pull all the way over. I'm not letting it happen TWICE. You don't like it? Stop screwing with people.
I know a LOT of people who never signal because people will ALWAYS react to block their entrance into the lane.

See, to me, it's self evident that if you want to enter that lane, you should be willing to speed up to match their speed. Under the Bills Prime Directive rule, you should, as that will minimize your effect on other drivers and the amount of turbulence you introduce into the traffic flow. If that lane is going 60-65 or so, get on up there for the short time it take to merge in. Yes, you of course have the legal right to travel at the speed limit wherever the heck you want to. But having the right to doesn't mean its the safest way to go.

Wife Jeep has Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). Might even be made by the same company a lot of these systems trace back to one vendor who supplies systems to a lot of carmakers. Bosch, Johnson controls, etc. And yes, it can lead you down a garden path. I rarely use it around here. Taking 301 into VA heading to Richmond, I'll use it there.

SamSpade

See, to me, it's self evident that if you want to enter that lane, you should be willing to speed up to match their speed. .

BUT - if the man in front of you is going about your speed - you don't have a choice. You can't speed up to move in, but you CAN slow down.
Also - if the gaps in the next lane are too tight - you're still not getting in.

Which leads into my NEXT rant - those dotted lanes on the right. They're for emerging traffic and safely turning to the right, especially where there's no intersection (such as a San Souci or Chancellor's Run Road). It is NOT - a travel lane.

BUT - people will pop into it and zoom down it like they're at Indy. What's bad is, if you're in that lane after you pass St Andrew's Church Road going south past the WaWa - there's a number of places to turn before it ends down towards the Giant. You SHOULD turn into that lane once you've past the last right turn IF you're headed to Giant. This gives the people LEAVING places like Starbucks a reasonable area to merge with. Oh, but it doesn't work that way - schmucks will no sooner cross St Andrew's Church before they IMMEDIATELY swerve into that lane - even cutting off people leaving the WaWa! Ditto for when people pass Chancellor's Run - JUST past the traffic light, zoom over by the Sheetz and zoom all the way to San Souci - cutting off all the cars emerging from lanes all the way there.

edreedisgod20

Entertaining thread to read. Tend to agree with it being an enforcement issue. There is little reason to not go 60-65 on RT4 during the rush hours, because CCSO is just not pulling people over for rolling at that speed at that time (nor should they, IMO, but I also think RT4 should be 60 between the towns as it is). So, doesn't make you wrong for going 55 if you are so inclined, but then you can't stick your head in the sand and pretend it's such a big deal to be breaking the law by speeding a few miles over when our local cops aren't sweating it. Same as the right turn lane expressway on 235 in the evening. You are breaking the law, but if the local PDs aren't enforcing it...so again, little reason not to do it. How often do you ever see anyone get pulled over for tailgating or aggressive driving? If there was a more focused enforcement on these things, I think it'd generally be a better place to drive.

Restitution

Entertaining thread to read. Tend to agree with it being an enforcement issue. There is little reason to not go 60-65 on RT4 during the rush hours, because CCSO is just not pulling people over for rolling at that speed at that time (nor should they, IMO, but I also think RT4 should be 60 between the towns as it is). So, doesn't make you wrong for going 55 if you are so inclined, but then you can't stick your head in the sand and pretend it's such a big deal to be breaking the law by speeding a few miles over when our local cops aren't sweating it. Same as the right turn lane expressway on 235 in the evening. You are breaking the law, but if the local PDs aren't enforcing it...so again, little reason not to do it. How often do you ever see anyone get pulled over for tailgating or aggressive driving? If there was a more focused enforcement on these things, I think it'd generally be a better place to drive.

It also doesn't help when your local sheriff publically states that it is too dangerous for his people to enforce traffic laws during rush hour(s)

Its like a license to steal... :shrug:

black dog

Free America
It also doesn't help when your local sheriff publically states that it is too dangerous for his people to enforce traffic laws during rush hour(s)

Its like a license to steal... :shrug:

It tells me,
That he can make better money putting his Deputy's elsewhere.

glhs837

Power with Control
BUT - if the man in front of you is going about your speed - you don't have a choice. You can't speed up to move in, but you CAN slow down.
Also - if the gaps in the next lane are too tight - you're still not getting in.

Me, I would drop back to get running room, then speed up to match, although that implies you might be too close to start with ;) Or seeing that guy ahead of me is not moving before closing, I might not get that close to begin with, knowing I'll need that room to match speeds with the faster moving left lane. It's a long game I'm playing, planning lane choices a mile to two out. Another aspect is how much throttle is needed to get up to left lane speed. I'm certainly not afraid to go WOT in need be. In the Charger SRT, I tried not to do that in traffic, since it could literally startle people. But the Jeep isn't that crazy.

I know, it's a lot of mental headwork, but being more involved with the flow of traffic means there's not a lot that comes as a surprise. Taught the kids to do the same, make a game of it, predicting what drivers are going to do.

Or, here's a crazy thought, hang a right back down the road and come at that intersection from Sotterly........ avoids the heartache completely. There are quite a few intersections in the county I reroute a bit to come at them from a better direction.

PeoplesElbow

I drive home to just north of Dayton 4-6 times a year and as soon as I clear 270 it's a pleasant smooth trip...coming back I don't see my first left land campers typically until I hit Hagerstown.

That is exactly my experience. The drive is so much nicer past Frederick, even if I-70 is stopped for some reason the drivers are usually pleasant and not trying to block lane changers etc.

black dog

Free America
I've done the drive to central and southern Indiana since the early nineties, I agree with most of what you guys are saying depending opon what time you roll through Western Maryland heading east, the a$$holely0's tend to start around Flintstone.
And Columbus at rush hour is just as stupid as 270 is.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've found merging and passing are a lot easier since I got my Jetta. It's funny when people don't know what the TDI on the trunk lid stands for and try to #### block me. :biggrin:

PeoplesElbow

I've found merging and passing are a lot easier since I got my Jetta. It's funny when people don't know what the TDI on the trunk lid stands for and try to #### block me. :biggrin:

They are just shocked that its not a 20 something year old girl driving it.

calvcopf

Today I saw a guy come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Then proceed to put his car in reverse and slam into the car behind him. While the guy was looking at it he tried to drive off until he realized there were witnesses (who stopped) and decided to return back to the scene. The entire incident was totally bizarre.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Today I saw a guy come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

When I first read this first sentence, I was thinking; What? Someone actually stopped at a stop sign? Not a rolling stop, or California stop? But a full and complete stop? Where was this? Was it a kid with a "Driver in training" bumper sticker? An older gentleman or lady? Who could this person be, making a full and complete stop at a stop sign? Were there tv cameras around? Was someone being punked? Because I haven't seen that happen in a very long time.

black dog

Free America

Merging is easy when you turn on the blinker and your 10 ply Michelins start to moving over into their lane when they try to be Aholes. I love my F350..

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
They are just shocked that its not a 20 something year old girl driving it.

Damn, that's harsh, Bro! Please don't tell me that I bought a girl car! I though those were Passats.

:yikes:

At this point in my life, I've decided that I don't care what other people think. We used to laugh at Aps and his Miata, but now I've come to appreciate anything that makes life's mundane tasks more interesting.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

I'm too much of a control freak to allow my car to make these decisions for me. Computers fail and I don't want to be on the wrong end of that.