I thought the Democrats were only siccing the IRS on the rich?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The clues are all around you.
Maybe try finding out what the IRS defines as a gift and a gratuity? Webster doesn't collect your taxes...

The IRS says it's a discretionary payment to an employee by a customer.

That wasn't hard, and yet I had to answer back my own argument because everyone else was all, "Well if you don't know I'm not going to tell you! AND you're an idiot!!"

Sometimes I just like to play with you people.

WingsOfGold

Resort fees, say MGM advertised $50/night, when you book the room there is a $20/night resort fee. They told me it was for the wifi and other amenities, their wifi sucked so bad I couldn't use it to check into my flight. It's pretty common at big tourist destinations.
They waive it......... if you piss enough away. 🥵

OccamsRazor

That wasn't hard, and yet I had to answer back my own argument because everyone else was all, "Well if you don't know I'm not going to tell you! AND you're an idiot!!"

Sometimes I just like to play with you people.
arguing-with-idiotsis-like-playing-chess-with-a-pigeon-no-14033992.png

Clem72

From the Google...

"Is Tipping the same as gifting?

Tips are considered wages. That makes the federal income tax implications very simple: income to Knutson of $12,000. Gifts, however, have very different tax implications. For federal income tax purposes, gifts are not taxable to the recipient."

So essentially, by tipping, you are supplementing the business owner's wages to the employee.

You are missing a big part of this equation. The giver is responsible for the taxes when giving cash. So yes, the server won't owe any taxes on that $20 gift, but technically speaking you do.