Ideas for New Businesses in Southern MD

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
The problem with a classy pool hall is that it wouldn't stay classy for long. As popular as pool is around here, the kids and gamblers would take it over in no time. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

One thing I know we lack is a decent music store. I guess with MP3s and internet sales, that's why the small music stores we did have went under. But a Borders or a Tower Records & Video would go good here, I think.

alex

I would love to see a REAL bakery at the old Western Steer. One that sold a good selection of bread, bagels, etc. Plus cakes and pastries. The could also do coffee. I miss being able to buy a dozen fresh rolls on a Sunday morning after church and REAL Italians pastries would be worth their weight in gold to me. The stuff they sell at Wildewood just isn't worth it to me.

As for traffic at the 1st Colony site they are going to have to put in a another light on Rt 4 when BJ's opens. It is crazy enough now, when that store opens all hell will brake loose.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I'd like to see a good, clean, well-run pet store with healthy animals (no puppies or kittens) and good service. Like Crawley's Precious Angels (in Dunkirk), for example.

tater

Originally posted by tipsy mcgee
The problem with a classy pool hall is that it wouldn't stay classy for long. As popular as pool is around here, the kids and gamblers would take it over in no time.

I guess it would depend on who's running it. There were plenty of derelict kids and gamblers (nothing wrong with gambling BTW :wink:) in Virginia Beach too, but Bay Billiards on Shore drive was the shiznit :biggrin:

And if any high rollers wanna give me some backing ($$$$$), I'll build a kick butt one. I've been eyeballing the old place in San Douci next to where the CVS used to be :wink:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by tipsy mcgee
As popular as pool is around here, the kids and gamblers would take it over in no time.

What's wrong with Gamblers??

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I'd like to see a nice movie theater in California/Lex Park. Say 10 screens, with stadium seating and a modern sound system. Then the one in PF and Lex Park could convert to second run theaters.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by sleuth14
I'd like to see a nice movie theater in California/Lex Park. Say 10 screens, with stadium seating and a modern sound system. Then the one in PF and Lex Park could convert to second run theaters.

Already proposed and rejected. The First Colony developer couldn't get any interest from theater chains. That's why (after a long legal fight with the county) BJ's Warehouse is going there instead.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by Tonio
Is Charlie's the same as the old Showtime Deli? Same owners and menu?

Thanks, Chuckster. I would be curious to know what the owner had to pay. I've heard that the rents for business space in St. Mary's are obscenely high.

Also, I wonder if a business closes and the bank finds someone else to move into that space, does the bank fold all or part of the old merchant's debts into the new merchant's rent?

No, Charlies Deli is different owners and menu. Great food.
Not sure if the bank is involved with the bagel bakery. The qwner will probably sell off the equipment and turn in the franchise. Rents are not that bad for businesses but when you include the cost of labor, electric and everything else it gets costly.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Already proposed and rejected. The First Colony developer couldn't get any interest from theater chains. That's why (after a long legal fight with the county) BJ's Warehouse is going there instead.

Didn't have the population to cover the cost of a multi-plex. Would be a very long ROI

What I don't understand is that some of the businesses wanted/named are here now. If there is a problem with one of them why don't you voice your opinion to the owner. If they don't know they can't fix it.
We have pet stores, bakeries, pool halls etc. What gives?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'

That's sad...
Half the time we don't even get some of the movies that I want to see in PF or Lex Park.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by sleuth14
That's sad...
Half the time we don't even get some of the movies that I want to see in PF or Lex Park.

I still say we don't know the "behind closed doors" conversations about the movie theatre. I don't see how it is possible that people would think a new theatre would do poorly here. I have been to places MUCH smaller than this which had nice a nice movie theatre. Considering the amount of money given by the developer (passed on from BJs itself) I would have to suspect money had something to do with the situation. Just another signal that developers here have the local government in their back pocket. At least the old crew. We'll see if anything changes in the future.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by demsformd
Do you think that there is a market here in St. Mary's for another law firm? I'm exploring the possibilities...

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I like you DFM, but, no more lawyers!

Biscuit

Livin' Large
Bars seem to do well in the area. They have a longer shelf life than a Mc Donalds around these parts.:cheers: :cheers:

PS. Thats why we have all the lawyers!:biggrin:

Biscuit

Livin' Large
Originally posted by bluto
Leonardtown has lost all of their bars except Sis's Hideaway. Duke's, Town Inn, Friendly Bar, Park Avenue Bar, Leonardtown Wharf. I miss all the drunks sitting on the window sill in front of Duke's. Wait a minute, I used to do that....

Ahh... The good old day's :cheers:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by bluto
I miss all the drunks sitting on the window sill in front of Duke's. Wait a minute, I used to do that....
Gee, maybe I know you???? :biggrin:

chuckster

IMFUBARED
I hear that the new Italian Restaurant in Wildewood is almost ready to open. Word is that he needs some waitresses and possibly other employees. Pass this on if you know of anybody looking for restaurant work. I hear that this guy is very nice and has been in the business for years. I hope he does well.

I also hear that Alices has cut it's hours of operation back again. Wonder why he hasn't posted his new Inigoes Grill sign and given that a shot. I still think that would be a great building to open a club in.