Iep

QueenB

It's not HaHa time....
Both of my girls were in it and one of them was able to "graduate" from the speech therapy this year, and the other one should be done by the end of the school year. Hopefully :fingerscrossed: They were in it last year too. And we noticed a major improvement, and were very pleased with how the principals, teachers, and therapist all coordinated with us to figure out the best approach and how they kept us updated on the progess.

Imthemom

:yeahthat: My son just started for a mild speech delay through his school.

I was just notified by my sons school that they would like to have a meeting about putting him in IEP for speech. I wasn't sure what it was and so I looked on the internet and it was saying it was special education/disability and that had me scared.

SoMDGirl42

I was just notified by my sons school that they would like to have a meeting about putting him in IEP for speech. I wasn't sure what it was and so I looked on the internet and it was saying it was special education/disability and that had me scared.

Don't let it scare you, it's a good thing. It means he will get the specialized attention he needs. :yay:

My son had an IEP for a Central Auditory Deficit Disorder he had.

3labs

Don't let it scare you, it's a good thing. It means he will get the specialized attention he needs. :yay:

:yeahthat: It isn't a bad thing. It will make sure that he recieves the services he needs to help him in school. Many kids recieve speech services, and most only need the services for a couple of years. The earlier he recieves services, the better.

An IEP is a document that tracks the services or accomodations a child will recieve while in school. It can follow a student through college if it is needed.

It's not a scary thing at all! My daughter needed IEP for speech in elementary school too and she has fond memories of it and she's in high school now and is a confident, out going student at the top of all of her classes.

Last edited:

Imthemom

It's not a scary thing at all! My daughter needed IEP for speech in elementary school too and she has fond memories of it and she's in high school now and is a confident, out going student at the top of all of classes.

Thank you! I feel so much better about all of this now. I know it's going to help him and it's not about labeling him or making him feel like he's different than his classmates. That is what I was mostly afraid of.

poster

An IEP is a good thing, don't let it scare you.
This is extra help that will be given because the teachers see a need for it.
I have a child at St. Leonard that has an IEP, there has been HUGE improvement in her.

We've had several of those meetings and it's hard sometimes to follow what they're telling you. Ask questions, the teachers/staff tend to talk "teacher language".

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

:yeahthat: It isn't a bad thing. It will make sure that he recieves the services he needs to help him in school. Many kids recieve speech services, and most only need the services for a couple of years. The earlier he recieves services, the better.

An IEP is a document that tracks the services or accomodations a child will recieve while in school. It can follow a student through college if it is needed.

It's not a scary thing at all! My daughter needed IEP for speech in elementary school too and she has fond memories of it and she's in high school now and is a confident, out going student at the top of all of classes.

My son has two classmates in his speech class, which helps a lot with him not feeling "different". Yesterday was his first session and he LOVED it. All he talked about was how much fun he had and how nice the teacher was. I had the same worries as the OP but with each meeting that we had to discuss it, the more I felt that this was a good thing. Just keep the whole experience positive when talking to your child about it. If they think that you think it will be a fun and exciting thing, they won't be nervous about it when it starts.

Good luck. Seems like you (and I) have a lot of support from other who have had the same experience on here.

QueenB

It's not HaHa time....
Our girls went to Town Creek last year and Hollywood this year and they had nothing but good things to say when they would come home on a Speech day. The therapist/teacher made it fun for them. They would come home and couldnt wait to start telling us about their class. Kid A needed it more than Kid B but the teachers still made sure that in at least one of Kid A's sessions, her sister was in it with her so that made it easier. Kid B says she misses it and wants to go back, but we are trying to explain to her that it did what it was supposed to do. I have nothing but amazing things to say about it.

3labs

Thank you! I feel so much better about all of this now. I know it's going to help him and it's not about labeling him or making him feel like he's different than his classmates. That is what I was mostly afraid of.

It isn't like it used to be where kids were labeled and put in the far wing of the school. You would be surprised how many children recieve help. It is actually normal for kids to be pulled out for many different reasons, so most of the kids don't even know or care when the kids leave. He will be great and like others have said probably even enjoy it!

SoccerMom2

My son had one. I don't know why they stop giving him help with his speech. Granted he has gotten better but he still has some issues. His teacher has even brought to my attention that she has hard time understanding him. I told her i wanted him to see the speech teacher again but he got denied. Not happy at all. Going to go through my doctors and get help that way. Hopefully his new school next year will help him.

sockgirl77

My son had one. I don't know why they stop giving him help with his speech. Granted he has gotten better but he still has some issues. His teacher has even brought to my attention that she has hard time understanding him. I told her i wanted him to see the speech teacher again but he got denied. Not happy at all. Going to go through my doctors and get help that way. Hopefully his new school next year will help him.

Make a complaint to the principal. Why go thru the doctor and pay for it when there's a perfectly good free program thru the school?

My son is in his second year with the IEP Program. It has been wonderful. He has a major speech delay which has formed into a mild studdering issue. His speech therapist has been great. With the IEP program it keeps you updated every few months with your child's progress and future goals. It also opens up the doors to other programs which he/she may not know about or qualify for. My son, for example, was recommended for TREK camp this summer. Because he is IEP and has been listed as still needing help I will not have to pay for the camp. The speech therapist will meet with him this summer at the school that the camp will be at. This has unloaded a huge weight off of my shoulders. First, I could not afford the camp, second I would not be able to take my son to and from the speech appointments during the day, and third I cannot afford a medical speech therapist. All in all, this program is truly a benefit for any child that is behind in development. :yay:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

I'm still new to this IEP thing, but at the last meeting the school and I had before my son started his therapy is that I am the one who is in control over whether or not he receives help. I can stop it at any time and I can ask for it to be continued for however long I deem necessary.

Listen to Socki, go to the Principal, not the Dr.

SoccerMom2

Make a complaint to the principal. Why go thru the doctor and pay for it when there's a perfectly good free program thru the school?

My son is in his second year with the IEP Program. It has been wonderful. He has a major speech delay which has formed into a mild studdering issue. His speech therapist has been great. With the IEP program it keeps you updated every few months with your child's progress and future goals. It also opens up the doors to other programs which he/she may not know about or qualify for. My son, for example, was recommended for TREK camp this summer. Because he is IEP and has been listed as still needing help I will not have to pay for the camp. The speech therapist will meet with him this summer at the school that the camp will be at. This has unloaded a huge weight off of my shoulders. First, I could not afford the camp, second I would not be able to take my son to and from the speech appointments during the day, and third I cannot afford a medical speech therapist. All in all, this program is truly a benefit for any child that is behind in development. :yay:

I tried. She is so rude. They keep telling me that underprivileged kids need it more and my son will do better over time. He gets frustrated sometimes when he talks. He starts to stutter. He knows what he wants to say but can't get the words out. When it came time for the updates i asked if i could bring my daughter with me because i don't have child care they said we can do it over the phone. Never received a call. When i called the school to ask why i didn't get a call they said oh we got no answer. I am going to try one more time with the principle and if i get nothing then im going over her head! This same principle told me that she was glad i was have behavioral issues with my son at home too. Not pleased with Carver at all!