If cops are about safety....

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I would rather see cops speeding than doing speed limit causing huge traffic jams.

JohnnyReb

What is interesting is, in 1994, citizens were ticketed daily, and with large fines for going 70MPH on the interstates. In 1995, congress repealed the 55 MPH speed limit on the interstates, and began raising speed limits to 65 MPH and 70 MPH.

In 1997, traffic fatalities dropped to a record low 1.6 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.

A good case could be made, government regulation and enforcement of the 55MPH speed limit cost motorists their lives.
http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa346.pdf

As far as quotas, in that name they do not exist, however they do exist in the form of performance standards, which is especially the case for the state police. If they don't write enough tickets/make enough contacts, they can be disciplined and lose their take home care privilege.

Hypocrisy is strong however, as I know Troopers that drive over 100mph on their way home, by their own admission. They would absolutely cite that any day of the week while working, and stopping a citizen.

Enforcement of traffic laws, is perhaps one of law enforcement's greatest hypocrisies.

As far as wanting to cite people, I'm well aware of "competitions" between traffic officers, who openly compare themselves to others, about who has the most cites.

There are many lawful purposes for LEOs to disregard traffic law, but the belief that its not routinely broken without lawful purposes is intellectually dishonest.

§ 21-106. Emergency vehicles.

(a) Circumstances for which privileges granted.- Subject to the conditions stated in this section, the driver of an emergency vehicle registered in any state may exercise the privileges set forth in this section while:
(1) Responding to an emergency call;
(2) Pursuing a violator or suspected violator of the law; or
(3) Responding to, but not while returning from, a fire alarm.
(b) Enumeration of privileges.- Under the circumstances stated in subsection (a) of this section, the driver of an emergency vehicle may:
(1) Park or stand without regard to the other provisions of this title;
(2) Pass a red or stop signal, a stop sign, or a yield sign, but only after slowing down as necessary for safety;
(3) Exceed any maximum speed limit, but only so long as the driver does not endanger life or property; and
(4) Disregard any traffic control device or regulation governing direction of movement or turning in a specified direction.
(c) Use of audible and visual signs required.-
(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, the privileges set forth in this section apply only while the emergency vehicle is using audible and visual signals that meet the requirements of § 22-218 of this article, except that an emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle need not be equipped with or display the visual signals.
(2) The privileges set forth in subsection (b) (1) of this section apply only while the emergency vehicle is using visual signals that meet the requirements of § 22-218 of this article.
(3) (i) The driver of an emergency vehicle may not use flashing lights or a bell, siren, or exhaust whistle while returning from an emergency call or fire alarm, except that fire apparatus carrying standing firemen may use flashing lights that are visible only to the rear.
(ii) The driver of an emergency vehicle, while parking or backing the emergency vehicle, may use flashing lights within 100 feet of the entrance ramp to a:
1. Fire station; or
2. Rescue station.
(d) Driver not relieved from duty of care.- This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons.

Traffic law is broken everyday. You are not recognized under law as an emergency vehicle without the above conditions being present.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Just Goin' With The Flow

Even keeping up with traffic; CIP: "235 Raceway," can get you pulled over. The "But officer, I was keeping up with traffic": ie; 60-65+; comment means squat, because the reply, many times is, "Yeah, well, I caught you."

bilbur

Even keeping up with traffic; CIP: "235 Raceway," can get you pulled over. The "But officer, I was keeping up with traffic": ie; 60-65+; comment means squat, because the reply, many times is, "Yeah, well, I caught you."

I can see why the keeping up with traffic excuse doesn't work, it would be no different than telling a cop "but officer everyone else was looting the store". What I want to know is has anyone really been pulled over for doing 56 to 64 on 235 where the speed limit is 55? I am not talking about that is what the cop dropped it to on the ticket I am talking about being pulled over for actually traveling within that speed range. Anyone I have talked to that has been pulled over, myself included, was doing 10mph + over the speed limit.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I can see why the keeping up with traffic excuse doesn't work, it would be no different than telling a cop "but officer everyone else was looting the store". What I want to know is has anyone really been pulled over for doing 56 to 64 on 235 where the speed limit is 55? I am not talking about that is what the cop dropped it to on the ticket I am talking about being pulled over for actually traveling within that speed range. Anyone I have talked to that has been pulled over, myself included, was doing 10mph + over the speed limit.

Well, not me. I keep it at 60 if the right lane will allow it.

bilbur

Well, not me. I keep it at 60 if the right lane will allow it.

It has been almost 18 years since my last ticket but from the age of 16 to the age of 20 I got 4 tickets and they all were well deserved. I did community service for all 4 so I wouldn't get points and it wouldn't show up on my record.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It has been almost 18 years since my last ticket but from the age of 16 to the age of 20 I got 4 tickets and they all were well deserved. I did community service for all 4 so I wouldn't get points and it wouldn't show up on my record.
:shocked: You may have just jinxed yourself.

creekboyz

I watched a state cop do well over 65mph with his sirens and lights on coming down Rt.4 the other day.

Lights and sirens for a good few miles, until he got by all the traffic. The lights and sirens went off. The call probably ended, right? Afterall, he did stop at a stop light.

Then, it was off to the races after that. I was doing 60, and he was pulling away, big time. He eventually sped off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Anyway,
Maybe someone could explain something to me. If speeding is as bad as everyone makes it out to be, why is the justice system so lenient for speeders? How come people can just send in money, and they'll get points, but for any other crime, it's not like that. What other crime can you get caught doing it, but are permitted to avoid criminal penalities by mailing a hundred bucks to your local mayor’s court. Why do we, as a society, treat speeding differently? Could it be a recognition by the justice system of the fact that nearly everyone exceeds the artificially low speed limits in the US?

It’s not usually necessary to murder people to catch a murderer, nor is it necessary to rape innocent bystanders to punish a rapist. If your car was stolen, you would not expect the policeman taking your report to arrive in a stolen car. And yet we generally accept the idea that a police officer will break the speed limit in order to catch speeders. Even more interestingly, we accept that it will be “necessary” to break the speed limit by considerably more than the original offender did.

To put it in perpesctive, if a driver is doing 50 in a 40 and passes a stationary cop in a Crown Vic “Police Interceptor”, that cop will need at least ten seconds to pull out and accelerate to 50 miles per hour. At that point, he is at least 400' behind the speeder, probably more. If he wants to catch that speeder within 3 or so minutes and stay within his jurisdiction, he needs to step it up to 55 or 60 mph. He’s now doing half again the speed limit and possibly represents a greater threat to the public welfare than the original offender, wouldn't you say?

This wouldn’t be a problem if cops didn’t crash, but they do. All the time, as a matter of fact. NHTSA states that over 3,000 people have died in police chases during the past decade. In 2001, for example, 365 people were killed, including 140 who were in no way involved with the chase.

If we, as a society, are not willing to risk innocent lives to catch bank robbers or fleeing felons, why should we endure a similar risk simply to tax motorists who are often traveling at a speed which is entirely reasonable and appropriate for the conditions? Speed limits could still be enforced through cameras, automated devices, and the old Ohio Highway Patrol standby of having a cop call ahead to another cop up the road who waves the motorist over to receive a ticket. If this increases the cost of speeding enforcement, perhaps it will inspire municipalities, and the citizens of those municipalities, to more closely consider whether their police are best serving the public by serving as roadside tax collectors.

We allow politicians to pass laws, "even if it saves one life", but allow police to needlessly speed. Putting innocent lives in danger.

http://www.pulitzer.org/files/2013/public-service/01day1.pdf

You lost me when you started comparing speeding to a rapist or murderer. And speeding up to stay in his jurisdiction? If this stationary cop was a state trooper i'm sure he wouldnt be running radar right before another states boundaries. Same goes for a county cop. "I'm going to run radar right before the Charles County line so i have to hurry and speed up to catch them."

Chris0nllyn

You lost me when you started comparing speeding to a rapist or murderer. And speeding up to stay in his jurisdiction? If this stationary cop was a state trooper i'm sure he wouldnt be running radar right before another states boundaries. Same goes for a county cop. "I'm going to run radar right before the Charles County line so i have to hurry and speed up to catch them."

I wasn't comparing the two crimes. I was comparing the ways to go about catching the person who did the crime.

So, it may not happen often, but the point is the same.

They speed up to catch the speeder. sometimes faster, making it more dangerous than the person who was speeding to begine with (obviously dependant on that person's speed).

BernieP

Resident PIA

First, I don't know when you drive on 235 but it's rare the traffic gets TO the speed limit let alone above.

And I know someone this happened to, not here, but on a single lane. They were in the middle of a pack of say 10 vehicles. The officer's response to "why me" was simply because I choose you.

Now if you were in King George County Va the reason you would be selected might be very clear, you have the out of state plates.
But before you cry discrimination, Barney Fife is notorious for writing tickets for out of state LEO as well - even if they had their lights on.
Off duty deputy responded to a disturbance call. When they were wrapping up, Barney gave him a ticket the deputy a ticket for speeding.

dontknowwhy

If what you say about tickets and funding were correct, why would the same people you consider to be pushing for ticket revenue, sign a law which prohibits quotas? Wouldn't it be the opposite? Wouldn't they sign a law mandating quotas?

why is O'Malley pressing the gun control issue all while being under the protection of an armed security team?
Shouldn't it be the opposite? Shouldn't we all have armed security 24/7 paid for the same way he pays for it?
Wouldn't he sign a law mandating armed protection for everyone?

And before you answer, remember: according to the supreme court, that's not the job of the police

DEEKAYPEE8569

First, I don't know when you drive on 235 but it's rare the traffic gets TO the speed limit let alone above.
True

And I know someone this happened to, not here, but on a single lane. They were in the middle of a pack of say 10 vehicles. The officer's response to "why me" was simply because I choose you.

Now if you were in King George County Va the reason you would be selected might be very clear, you have the out of state plates.
But before you cry discrimination, Barney Fife is notorious for writing tickets for out of state LEO as well - even if they had their lights on.
Off duty deputy responded to a disturbance call. When they were wrapping up, Barney gave him a ticket the deputy a ticket for speeding

The deputy that was ticketed; wasn't it his/her fault that the local constabulary wasn't notified? Something like "St. Mary's Unit 5 in pursuit of orange Dodge Charger with "01" on the doors." "Headed into King George at 110 miles an hour....." just as a notification that the pursuit would be entering King George County's jurisdiction?

Yeah, I know.....110 on the Nice Bridge isn't really possible. IS it?

Chris0nllyn

True

The deputy that was ticketed; wasn't it his/her fault that the local constabulary wasn't notified? Something like "St. Mary's Unit 5 in pursuit of orange Dodge Charger with "01" on the doors." "Headed into King George at 110 miles an hour....." just as a notification that the pursuit would be entering King George County's jurisdiction?

Maybe King George County's radios are encrypted.

:elaine:

itsrequired

why is O'Malley pressing the gun control issue all while being under the protection of an armed security team?
Shouldn't it be the opposite? Shouldn't we all have armed security 24/7 paid for the same way he pays for it?
Wouldn't he sign a law mandating armed protection for everyone?

And before you answer, remember: according to the supreme court, that's not the job of the police

Because O'Malley is a screaming liberal who thinks he is better and knows better than everyone else.

What answer did you think I would give?

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

BernieP

Resident PIA
True

I beleive there have been issues between Chuck Co. as well, this was off duty (but had car) and heard the call about the brawl. Officer responded (along with others). The way I heard it they were pretty much WITH the other cars responding (sort of like the line of cars).