If you were stranded in the desert...

Loper

Animal Poor!
My nephew is back out for his second tour in A'stan and hasn't requested anything out of the ordinary yet, but he's only been back there for a couple weeks so far.
I could use some creative ideas as well to send him stuff. (sorry Nickel, don't want to hijack the thread) :buddies:

onebdzee

off the shelf
Home Made Chocolate Chip cookies or assorted home made goodies.

ALWAYS a big hit!

They don't make the trip....I tried when my second and third were in Iraq together....they end up a pile of moldy crumbs

and muffins(my oldest loves lemon poppy seed)....yea, they don't make it either :barf:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
How do you adopt a soldier or where would one send stuff in general....I have some "young guy" type magazines I would like to send instead of just throwing them out...."Motocross, Truckin type, ATV riders type, etc" Might even throw some other stuff in the box too....

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
lubriderm lotion, baby wipes, nice toilet paper, baby powder, neosporin, ladies deo, disposable ladies razors, small containers of ladies shaving cream, washcloths, cocoa, kool-aid, crystal light packets (the kind you add to water bottles), individul portion foods (like instant mac n cheese), slim jims/beef jerky; fruit cups, leave-in spray conditioner, and febreeze - if you know her sizes, underarmor sports bras and a pair of flip flops

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
How do you adopt a soldier or where would one send stuff in general....I have some "young guy" type magazines I would like to send instead of just throwing them out...."Motocross, Truckin type, ATV riders type, etc" Might even throw some other stuff in the box too....

Give them to me and I can send to my guy, it's actually a guy who grew up with TomTone. You know his dad. Or you can go to Adopt A US Soldier and adopt one. I did it for a yr and now I am sending to a guy who is on a ship for two years.

Attachments

• Solar powered fan..jpg
    Solar powered fan..jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 56

molly_21

baby wipes, girly smelling lotion, slippers, febreeze, shower gel, foot powder, a little girly inspired chapstick, face sunblock, a magazine sub to something girly...

I would also sent "hygiene" stuff since most people forget about the women. I am sure they can get that stuff over there, but it is nice to send it anyway.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Bath and Body Works!!! :yahoo:
... maybe some powder mixes for water... they have the G2 mixes out (walmart has a few flavors)

and here is a :huggy: for you...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
They don't make the trip....I tried when my second and third were in Iraq together....they end up a pile of moldy crumbs

and muffins(my oldest loves lemon poppy seed)....yea, they don't make it either :barf:

Shoot, I guess regular mail you're right.

We use DHL and Fed-Ex, and if we were thinking would have had the wives here pack up some goodies to send to them.

As it is, DHL and Fed-Ex both take about a week (4 - 7 days) to get in country, then the Marines have to come get it.

onebdzee

off the shelf

I have an address if you want it....it's to the guys that are shutting down Camp Ballad, Iraq....they will be there another 6-8 months(at least that's what I was told)....send me a msg on facebook and I'll forward it to you

onebdzee

off the shelf
Just FYI on this....if you are sending stuff to a particular person and the box is filled with stuff that anyone can use, make sure you mark the box as "deliver to anyone" if they cannot find the addressee

Sometimes these guys go home early and/or go on leave and if the box is undeliverable they will leave it sit for about a week or two and then send it back to the states because of limited space....if it is marked as "deliver to anyone", someone from the unit will open it and make use the items

mamaof1

baked goods

Homemade Baked goods can make it.... a few tricks though - pack some marshmallows or slices of bread in with them and pack them TIGHT. The less movement they have the better. Keeps them from being a pile of crumbs and the bread/mallows keep some moisture along the way.

We send thousands of cookies over through my spouses squadron around the Christmas holidays each year. We have not had too many issues with them not making it.

Thanks for doing this - I am sure your soldier will enjoy this treat.

NTNG

My son just wrote from Afghanistan today. Foot powder, OD green socks, Slim Jims, Spicy Chex Mix, Old Spice deoderant, and newspapers, magazines, etc. He said the best "down time" is reading about home, even if the papers or magazines are dated.

Oh yeah, and air conditioning. It was a balmy 104 degrees at 11:30 am!

Katelin

one day the dark will end
I adopted a soldier last week and it's a girl! :dance: :lol: I signed up through Soldiers' Angels and they ask that you send one letter a week and one care package a month. I sent my second letter today and haven't heard back from her yet. Obviously the mail takes awhile, they are very busy, and you're told that you may not even hear back from your soldier. All fine. But, since I haven't heard back from her I don't know if there's anything she needs. I'm just planning on stocking the first care package with snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. In addition to the generic care package items, what would your girly luxury item be if you were over in Afghanistan? Mine would be mascara, but I have a feeling it's COMPLETELY impractical and she will think I'm an idiot. :lmao: Someone suggested fingernail polish (for her toes!) and I thought that was an awesome idea, but when I was in line at the post office today I glanced at a big "Do not send these items" sign and wouldn't ya know it - nail polish was front and center. I don't know if she likes to read, but I might include a good book or two and suggest she pass them around if she isn't interested.

So, any more ideas?

Scented body wipes....not a lot of shower time out there...
Or perhaps some nice body powder...to keep dry!!
Maybe you can find a nice something from Bath and Body Works...Just the package says she is special and their stuff is so nice!!
Thank you for doing this!!
:)

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
One of those daily peel off calendars. Jabba got me one for my b-day a couple years ago, "Wild Words from Wild Women" and I still have a couple of my favs hung up at my desk.

If you don't know if they like to read or what they like to read those cute quote books that you can get from the grocery store are good.