I'm in love...

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I have a question for those of you whom are fans of .40. Why do you prefer it over .45ACP? I ask out of sincere curiosity, not any sort of derision. I've talked to a few people who prefer .40, but never heard any reasons that were compelling to me.

I personally prefer .45, and every semi-auto I own is chambered as such, except for one 9mm. I mostly own it for giggles and for the occasions when a smallish female wants to learn to handle a firearm and might be intimidated by .45 the first time they ever shoot.

I explained my posistion here before but for ME .40 makes no sense. I have several 9mms and a couple .45's. The only way I would consider .40 is if I only own one handgun.

There is one thing that I have found in all the ballistic testing I've seen/read about. In general, the heavier the projectile of what ever caliber you choose the better the performance.

So
9mm=147 gr.
.40=180 gr.
.45=230 gr.

This applys to SD situations only, as I am not too worried about performance on cardboard/steel targets myself.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Can't blame that on the glock, same thing would of happened with any gun, the dummy didn't eject the mag before he "cleared" the chamber. As far as Plax goes, yeah if you are gonna carry a glock you should probably carry it in a proper holster instead of like a thug, but I guess that makes too much sense for those kind of idiots.

Two simple things that will prevent any unintended discharge:
1. Maintain proper control of your firearm
2. Don't pull the trigger until you are ready to destroy the target.

I'm not blaming anything on the inanimate object. I am saying that I, personally, don't like the design and that I think it is inherently more dangerous in terms of AD's and ND's.

I feel completely safe with my 1911 and my 92 in condition 1, though I still think of them as red hot in condition 1. They are not going to fire with out more deliberate action than required with a Glock and I am less likely, in my view, to have an AD or an ND with either of them than a Glock.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I'm not blaming anything on the inanimate object. I am saying that I, personally, don't like the design and that I think it is inherently more dangerous in terms of AD's and ND's.

I feel completely safe with my 1911 and my 92 in condition 1, though I still think of them as red hot in condition 1. They are not going to fire with out more deliberate action than required with a Glock and I am less likely, in my view, to have an AD or an ND with either of them than a Glock.

I understand, I just think Glock gets a bad reputation in this department as there are several types of guns that have no real manual safety.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!

When it comes right down to it, the only real "safety" is the one we all carry between the ears and unfortunately THAT one doesn't work the same for everybody. I know people that are completely capable of shooting themselves in the foot with a rubber duck.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I understand, I just think Glock gets a bad reputation in this department as there are several types of guns that have no real manual safety.

They get a bad rep because of all the AD's and ND's cop's have with them in the locker room and because of all the AD's and ND's common folk have with them and the fact that they are such a huge success. If they sold 1,000 pistols a year, we wouldn't be talking about their design; we'd probably be talking about trigger safety designs. It's just easier and more to the point to say 'Glock'.

:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
When it comes right down to it, the only real "safety" is the one we all carry between the ears and unfortunately THAT one doesn't work the same for everybody. I know people that are completely capable of shooting themselves in the foot with a rubber duck.

That is a fact. AD's and ND's happen with ALL pistols, sooner or later, even a P7 however impossible that sounds.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
and the fact that they are such a huge success. If they sold 1,000 pistols a year, we wouldn't be talking about their design;

That's very true. At something like 4 million sold world wide and 70+% market share in law enforcement sales it's easy to see why people talk about them so much.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's very true. At something like 4 million sold world wide and 70+% market share in law enforcement sales it's easy to see why people talk about them so much.

They are a great weapon. Reliable. Plenty accurate. Consistent high quality. Ready to go right out of the box. Easy to use. Intuitive. I'm just not a fan of the trigger safety and fairly light trigger pull.

dustin

UAIOE
DOes the military still have Rod an Gun clubs on bases overseas??

We used to be able to get HUGE deals on foreign made guns. I bought a Sako FinnBEar in .25-.06 for $250 in the mid 80's (retail was over 800).. and at the time consecutive serial number H&K revolvers in .22 for $30 each..

With all the new gun laws in the US I can see it being another lost memory and benefit to serving in the military.
I'm not sure about other overseas locations, but in japan handguns are illegal... I think you can purchase longguns but you have to have a special permit for hunting only. I have seen zero gun periodicals at the Japanese bookstores. The command even tells us not to bring a pocketknife off the ship because of the possibility of being arrested for it.

I know that the Camp Allen range (Near Norfolk) sells used range pistols and rifles (or at least did a year ago). Their MCX also sells new handguns and rifles at decent prices.

dustin

UAIOE
I have a question for those of you whom are fans of .40. Why do you prefer it over .45ACP? I ask out of sincere curiosity, not any sort of derision. I've talked to a few people who prefer .40, but never heard any reasons that were compelling to me.

I personally prefer .45, and every semi-auto I own is chambered as such, except for one 9mm. I mostly own it for giggles and for the occasions when a smallish female wants to learn to handle a firearm and might be intimidated by .45 the first time they ever shoot.
I'm leaning toward .40 because it packs more a little more punch than 9mm and is not the much more expensive. .45 is a good bit more expensive from what I have seen.

... no I don't plan to reload. I'm too lazy