I'm shocked!

Mikeinsmd

Ask Liz on channel 4 just answered: Increase humidity, remove shoes, and MY suggestion, hold a key to touch things 1st! :yay:

morganj614

Mikeinsmd said:
Ask Liz on channel 4 just answered: Increase humidity, remove shoes, and MY suggestion, hold a key to touch things 1st! :yay:

:yeahthat: yep, just heard it but on my slooooow dial up. WTG! :high5:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I've been getting shocked too. All the friggin' time for the past month.
At least 6 or 7 times a day.

C

czygvtwkr

dems4me said:
a humidifier does seem to help... I have long hair cats that used to do nothing on carpets but shock themselves walking around touching metal stands, chair legs, eachother or what have you... Someone had mentioned to me that the shocks would only be worse because of the humidity and it being a conductor or something or other :crazy: but it seemed to work for me..!!! Good luck!!! :flowers:

You have that backwards. Yes humid air conducts electricity better but this lets the charge bleed off of you without you knowing rather than build and build and finally come shooting off.

In the summer there is enough humidity in the air that it allows all the electrical charge dissipate off you so it can't build up and create a static discharge.

MLE

flibberdejibbit
Shocking

When I was in California, it would get REALLY bad in the winter since they only have ~6% humidity at any given time. There is a small rubber-like strip you can attach to your car that rides just above the road (hooked to your bumper) that prevents the static buildup when you get out of your car- I don't know if they have them here though.

Ok... so that fixes ONE of the problems...All I can say is that after giving ourselves swollen lips from the VISIBLE lighting my husband and I seem to keep exchanging, we have made a conscious effort to ground ourselves before we kiss or touch (I always feel so stupid doing this in public- like I am a deaf-mute probing his face with my fingertips before I kiss him :dork: - sorta takes the romance out of spur of the moment ideas... :duh: )

mAlice

professional daydreamer
MLE said:
Ok... so that fixes ONE of the problems...All I can say is that after giving ourselves swollen lips from the VISIBLE lighting my husband and I seem to keep exchanging, we have made a conscious effort to ground ourselves before we kiss or touch (I always feel so stupid doing this in public- like I am a deaf-mute probing his face with my fingertips before I kiss him :dork: - sorta takes the romance out of spur of the moment ideas... :duh: )

How cute is that? :kiss: :eek:uch:

MLE said:
Gosh... I think that's pretty darn sexy...:yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
MLE said:
When I was in California, it would get REALLY bad in the winter since they only have ~6% humidity at any given time. There is a small rubber-like strip you can attach to your car that rides just above the road (hooked to your bumper) that prevents the static buildup when you get out of your car- I don't know if they have them here though.

Imagine what you could do with a well placed kiss. Yeehaw. Talk about relighting a pilot light. :biggrin:

MLE

flibberdejibbit
Ken King said:
Imagine what you could do with a well placed kiss. Yeehaw. Talk about relighting a pilot light. :biggrin:

Well, yeah....:blush: we have had some titillating :ahem: moments revoloving around flannel sheets too :whistle:

keithtim

I get shocked all the time too. I bought a new car and was afraid to say something to the dealer about this because I figured they would think I was nuts. I have tried different shoes, closing with my foot (then got shocked by the door). I was told if I touched the door with my Key (I have one of those cars that has a chip in the key) I risked screwing up the chip and then the car would not start. Someone In the UK said he bought something that hangs from the back of his car that grounds it. I cant find it here. I just dont get why it only happens to me! No one else that has ridden or driven my car has had this problem.

Geek

Do you remember when Target first opened? It was crazy shocking! You hear the loud "snap, crack" cursing.. Your whole arm would go dead. Kids crying, it was awful. I thought is was some kind of Southern Marylanders punishment, they should know how excited we get when something new happens.

Toxick

Splat
Geek said:
Do you remember when Target first opened? It was crazy shocking! You hear the loud "snap, crack" cursing.. Your whole arm would go dead.

I knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who pumped gas while he was statically electrified, and blew up the entire gas station.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Toxick said:
I knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who pumped gas while he was statically electrified, and blew up the entire gas station.

That was me! I got shocked so bad it turned me into a newt!

I got better.

This thread reminds me of an interesting news article I posted a while back...

LINK

Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.

When he walked into a building in the country town of Warrnambool in the southern state of Victoria Thursday, the electrical charge ignited the carpet.

"It sounded almost like a firecracker," Clewer told Australian radio Friday.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt."

Employees, unsure of the cause of the mysterious burning smell, telephoned firefighters who evacuated the building.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cracking noise -- a bit like a whip -- both inside and outside the building," said fire official Henry Barton.

Firefighters cut electricity to the building thinking the burns might have been caused by a power surge.

Clewer, who after leaving the building discovered he had scorched a piece of plastic on the floor of his car, returned to seek help from the firefighters.

"We tested his clothes with a static electricity field meter and measured a current of 40,000 volts, which is one step shy of spontaneous combustion, where his clothes would have self-ignited," Barton said.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.

Firefighters took possession of Clewer's jacket and stored it in the courtyard of the fire station, where it continued to give off a strong electrical current.

David Gosden, a senior lecturer in electrical engineering at Sydney University, told Reuters that for a static electricity charge to ignite a carpet, conditions had to be perfect.

"Static electricity is a similar mechanism to lightning, where you have clouds rubbing together and then a spark generated by very dry air above them," said Gosden.

nomoney

kwillia said:
LINK

Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.

When he walked into a building in the country town of Warrnambool in the southern state of Victoria Thursday, the electrical charge ignited the carpet.

"It sounded almost like a firecracker," Clewer told Australian radio Friday.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt."

Employees, unsure of the cause of the mysterious burning smell, telephoned firefighters who evacuated the building.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cracking noise -- a bit like a whip -- both inside and outside the building," said fire official Henry Barton.

Firefighters cut electricity to the building thinking the burns might have been caused by a power surge.

Clewer, who after leaving the building discovered he had scorched a piece of plastic on the floor of his car, returned to seek help from the firefighters.

"We tested his clothes with a static electricity field meter and measured a current of 40,000 volts, which is one step shy of spontaneous combustion, where his clothes would have self-ignited," Barton said.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.

Firefighters took possession of Clewer's jacket and stored it in the courtyard of the fire station, where it continued to give off a strong electrical current.

David Gosden, a senior lecturer in electrical engineering at Sydney University, told Reuters that for a static electricity charge to ignite a carpet, conditions had to be perfect.

"Static electricity is a similar mechanism to lightning, where you have clouds rubbing together and then a spark generated by very dry air above them," said Gosden.
That sucks when that happens