I'm talking BBQ

Shutout

A Methodist Church near me used to sell Bar B Q on Saturdays. Maybe the best I have ever had. I like to cook chickns spilt in half on a low temp apple wood or cherry woood fire. Cornish hens also. My son makes some pretty good Bar B q sauces to finish them with.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Jax Stax, Kansas City... Burnt Ends.. 4 types of ribs.. Lamb, Pork, Beef and Crown.. YUMMMMM...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I had the massive smoked beef rib yesterday. We took a trip over to Lockhart, the BBQ capitol of the republic of Texas. The place is called Black's, which has been opened for 84 years running.

This beast was so moist and tender. With the melted fat running with the grain, I remarked that it was the filet mignon of BBQ. The place is very laid back with some 4 tops and a lot of open seating at long tables. You help yourself to the sides.

Now the beef rib will unseat brisket as my favorite bbq meat.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our local H E B grocery store has a grilled/smoked meat counter in the store. Not all H E B's have this department but the 1 less than a mile from us does!!!

Yesterday after rolling around we stopped by for some brisket. The carver cuts off a good portion of the end. Then he proceeds to slice the rest of the hunk to give us. I tell him to toss that end piece in there. I think he was going to throw it away. So after he weighed our food he tossed in both end pieces for free.

Then we told him about the holy grail that is burnt ends. I should have told him to save me all the end pieces. I think I had a tear in my eye thinking about all the ends that may have ended up in the landfill. There oughta be a law against crimes like that. Now I'm hungry for some brisket.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think they put the ends in their beans.

And I'll tell you what - BBQ snobs be damned, HEB puts out some fine brisket. I get worn out with California cowboy wannabes coming to Texas, sitting around at brunch arguing about BBQ and breakfast tacos like they know what they're talking about because they saw it on some TV show. There is no such thing as bad BBQ in Texas and there is no such thing as a bad breakfast taco in a Mexican diner.

These people stand in line at Franklin's in Austin because the PR people tell them to, not because Franklin's BBQ is superior to anywhere else. I'll bet in a blind taste test between Franklin's and HEB brisket, they'd be hard pressed to choose which one is better.

Last edited:

Auntie Biache'

I just don't get people who are obsessed with BBQ. I don't consider BBQ and smoked to be the same thing. You can BBQ something you have smoked, in which case it just becomes another BBQ dish. I've never gone out of my way for BBQ, but I will buy smoked ham or turkey, and smoked fish is just nasty. It's like "3rd world starving to death survival food".

I'm not a fan of smoked unless it's just lightly smoke favored. I got some smoked chicken when I was in Texas. It had no chicken flavor whatever, tasted like I was eating a water-doused campfire. Much prefer grilled.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just don't get people who are obsessed with BBQ. I don't consider BBQ and smoked to be the same thing. You can BBQ something you have smoked, in which case it just becomes another BBQ dish. I've never gone out of my way for BBQ, but I will buy smoked ham or turkey, and smoked fish is just nasty. It's like "3rd world starving to death survival food".

It depends on where you are. If I'm in Texas where BBQ means smoked meat, I'm obsessed. If I'm in the Carolinas or midwest where BBQ means drenched in sauce, hard pass. Very occasionally I run into good BBQ (smoked meat) outside of TX, but I always ask them to describe it because I don't like nasty surprises.

Smoked chicken is hit or miss, mostly miss - dry and flavorless. If you have to dunk it in sauce to make it edible, I don't want it.

luvmygdaughters

I used to love the old Dixie Pig pork sandwiches. Havent been there in a while, but, Lefty's in Waldorf used to have some good BBQ.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
where BBQ means drenched in sauce
:barf: Ick, ick, and ick. Give me a nice piece of smoked or broiled meat done with a nice rub and lightly coat it in sauce AFTER it has cooked or, better yet, no sauce at all or served on the side.