In honor of BLM....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...I'm rereading "Roots" by Alex Haley.

Okay, it's not really in honor of BLM, it's just because it's a good book and all this black stuff reminded me of it.

I never saw the miniseries back when, but the book is a terrific read. I love historical fiction anyway, as long as it's truly historical and not a bunch of revisionist nonsense. I loved the North and South trilogy as well. Gone With the Wind is good historical fiction, as is The Bastard series.

What are some other good ones?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Okay, it's not really in honor of BLM, it's just because it's a good book and all this black stuff reminded me of it.

I never saw the miniseries back when, but the book is a terrific read. I love historical fiction anyway, as long as it's truly historical and not a bunch of revisionist nonsense. I loved the North and South trilogy as well. Gone With the Wind is good historical fiction, as is The Bastard series.

John Jakes fan.

limblips

PREMO Member
Honor and BLM, two things that should never be uttered in the same statement. As for the Bastard Series, it was a great series. I am now reading Brian Kilmeade's books. Very good. "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates" and "Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans". I also enjoyed Bill O'Rielly's "Killing" series.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm going to see if I can find Turtledoves Guns of the South on audiobook.

CPUSA

I was in third grade and my teacher, a young, liberal, open minded AA lady assigned it to us to watch and the next day we would get in front of the class & tell each other what we learned about slavery...

She didn't like it when I pointed out that Africans were kidnapping & selling their own kind into slavery.
I guess that's NOT what I was supposed to learn...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Skimmed over the synopsis of that one.

Seems a bit too "romancy" for my tastes.

Bobwhite

Bodie and Brock Thoene have written several series that deal with WWI, WWII and the time in between.
Ken Follett wrote a WWI and WWII trilogy. The first book was called "Fall of Giants". I can't remember the titles of the other two. Great series.

GoodnessME

Robert "Bob" Lackey has a multi volume historical series about a fictional Pulaski family. Takes place in the 1800's and is centered in Harv-de-Grace.. Great read and entertaining. Going to be a 10 volume set. 7 already in print . even has one set in St. Mary's county.