Inexpensive wedding

Dakota

~~~~~~~
And you don't think that a potluck is tacky?

You know that is how they used to do it in the colonial times. Perhaps instead of saying "everyone bring a dish" word it so it says "bring a dish if you would like." Potlucks involve everyone and food is always a great conversation starter.

I've been to budget weddings and some costing upwards of $75-100K. Guess which wedding couples divorced within a year or two?

sockgirl77

You know that is how they used to do it in the colonial times. Perhaps instead of saying "everyone bring a dish" word it so it says "bring a dish if you would like." Potlucks involve everyone and food is always a great conversation starter.

I've been to budget weddings and some costing upwards of $75-100K. Guess which wedding couples divorced within a year or two?

This is 2014.

I'm not for big budget weddings, but I still think that weddings need to have class. I don't know, I just don't like the who potluck idea.

Pete

Repete
How about some KFC?

IMHO, I think asking your guests to bring anything is tacky.

KFC tacky, Popeyes is OK.

I am more pragmatic and worry less about tacky. If you are hurting for money I would feel worse sitting there eating a peice of rubber chicken that cost them $15 a head than I would bringing along my bucket of Popeyes spicy, redbeans and rice.

Pete

Repete
This is 2014.

I'm not for big budget weddings, but I still think that weddings need to have class. I don't know, I just don't like the who potluck idea.

Class in weddings started to ebb when 3rd and 4th marriages became the norm eh?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
How about some KFC?

IMHO, I think asking your guests to bring anything is tacky.

I think it depends on your guests and the location of the wedding, IMO. If someone I knew was having a pot luck wedding, I'd probably already be aware that money and small budgets were already an issue and not think much of it. In fact I'd call them and ask how else I could help. However, I would find it tacky if everyone was aware that the couple could easily afford even a caterer and a few other fancy things. If money's a serious issue though, I know how to make lasagna and sausage & peppers in bulk, so I wouldn't mind. Everyone deserves a small celebration if that's what they'd like.

But if they're springin' for the American Legion Hall, they best be ordering their own KFC.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I think it depends on your guests and the location of the wedding, IMO. If someone I knew was having a pot luck wedding, I'd probably already be aware that money and small budgets were already an issue and not think much of it. In fact I'd call them and ask how else I could help. However, I would find it tacky if everyone was aware that the couple could easily afford even a caterer and a few other fancy things. If money's a serious issue though, I know how to make lasagna and sausage & peppers in bulk, so I wouldn't mind. Everyone deserves a small celebration if that's what they'd like.

But if they're springin' for the American Legion Hall, they best be ordering their own KFC.

The A.L. in Ridge is 75.00 for the day if a member reserves it and 125.00 for non members if I remember correctly. You get a whole back room full service kitchen use. You would just have to decorate it yourself and make sure it is cleaned up at the end.

acommondisaster

:faint: That's insane!

Actually, I think the final count was 60. Trust me, if I hadn't been diligent about cutting every corner possible, we could easily have doubled that without a blink. Most photographers we met with at bridal shows and via craigslist wanted in excess of $2k. Most DJ's started at $700 for something very basic. Limos were equally expensive, a nondenominational officiant was $400 (I'd rethink that if we did it again). We shopped around for ages and found less expensive people, but it was work. We didnt pay for the reception hall, chair upgrade, table rental - that was all free....the cake was made by a friend who owns a bakery. Our only big splurge was a nice sit down dinner - and we didn't go large - because it was a rare occasion when family from all over would be sitting down together, from as far away as Peru. So we felt obliged to set the bar for the dinner a little bit higher We started planning a year in advance and by the time the wedding rolled around, everything was paid off.

When you put the word "wedding" in front of anything, the price seems to double. I swear people prey on people who want everything "perfect". Quite a shock, when our own wedding, church and reception, limo, booze, with a live band ran about $500. But that was awhile ago ;)

mamatutu

mama to two
Actually, I think the final count was 60. Trust me, if I hadn't been diligent about cutting every corner possible, we could easily have doubled that without a blink. Most photographers we met with at bridal shows and via craigslist wanted in excess of $2k. Most DJ's started at $700 for something very basic. Limos were equally expensive, a nondenominational officiant was $400 (I'd rethink that if we did it again). We shopped around for ages and found less expensive people, but it was work. We didnt pay for the reception hall, chair upgrade, table rental - that was all free....the cake was made by a friend who owns a bakery. Our only big splurge was a nice sit down dinner - and we didn't go large - because it was a rare occasion when family from all over would be sitting down together, from as far away as Peru. So we felt obliged to set the bar for the dinner a little bit higher We started planning a year in advance and by the time the wedding rolled around, everything was paid off.

When you put the word "wedding" in front of anything, the price seems to double. I swear people prey on people who want everything "perfect". Quite a shock, when our own wedding, church and reception, limo, booze, with a live band ran about $500. But that was awhile ago ;)

You just explained it all very well. It seems funeral homes take advantage, and have sticker shock, also. And, that is a given! :lol: Your pricing was right on. It is just the choice whether you want to go small, medium, or large. The day is the same, and the love surrounds the couple, no matter the venue, or price tag. It is a choice, and no one should be belittled for how little, or how much they spend. JMO.

I think there have been some great suggestions on here. I will reiterate that I wish all the best to the happy couple. God bless.

acommondisaster

There have been some really good ideas in this thread. It'd be nice to have more details to put some real suggestions together. It sounded like the bride has a gown, so luckily that's out of the equation. What really needs to be known is if there is family or friends in the area that can "pitch in". If so, luckybee has the right idea - some chafing dishes from the party store, a couple of donated crockpots and get some friends together to make dishes. A huge salad, some meatballs and pasta, sausage and peppers, some of those giant bags of cheese from Costo and some crackers, some veggies.
As several have said - music on the ipod for the ceremony and reception.
I still dont think they can afford liquor, they know the group they're inviting - maybe a homemade bunch, a 1/4 keg of beer..a couple boxes of wine...
A pretty display of cupcakes made by the bride and some friends, maybe instead of a cake. Colorful napkins, some flowers..

One of my favorite weddings was in the O club at Pearl Harbor - pretty view, a lady playing romantic songs on a piano and wine and appetizers (I cant spell that horderve word). A few toasts to the happy couple, everyone slow danced to the piano. Perfect.

MarieB

Perhaps the bachelorette party could include making food and decorating, with a few glasses of wine of course. It would be almost like a tree decorating party during Christmas.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Perhaps the bachelorette party could include making food and decorating, with a few glasses of wine of course. It would be almost like a tree decorating party during Christmas.

Planned and attended my cousin's bachelorette party in NOLA this past weekend. Her sister and I were in charge of decorating the hotel rooms: a little less alcohol might have actually gotten the balloons hung up instead of thrown all over the floor and banners less crooked :lmao:

MarieB

Planned and attended my cousin's bachelorette party in NOLA this past weekend. Her sister and I were in charge of decorating the hotel rooms: a little less alcohol might have actually gotten the balloons hung up instead of thrown all over the floor and banners less crooked :lmao:

:biggrin:

Considering the budget, I assume there wouldn't be enough to go around.

Sounds like fun though :)

mamatutu

mama to two

Glad to know you had fun and made it back safely. My daughter's bachelorette is there next month. I was born and raised in and around NOLA, and it wouldn't have been my first pick. But, she had made her mind up! I just know the trouble that you can get in there, or trouble finds you. New Orleans is definitely like no where else in the world! :lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
One of my favorite weddings was in the O club at Pearl Harbor - pretty view, a lady playing romantic songs on a piano and wine and appetizers (I cant spell that horderve word). A few toasts to the happy couple, everyone slow danced to the piano. Perfect.

Hawaii is perfect! *sigh*

mamatutu

mama to two
Where can one go to get married under $500.00. They want that to cover the venue, food and reception space. Be original if you have to. Just wondering

50-75 guests

I know that Clerk of Circuit Court (Calvert County Kathy Smith) will marry a couple on a local beach instead of the Courthouse. I would think there has to be a witness, so that person could take a few pics, or video. I don't think many guests are welcome at the ceremony, but if your friend found a local public beach with a pavilion or something, maybe, they could combine that with a reception afterwards. There is nothing wrong with 'bring a dish'. People love to bring stuff to things, and would probably go all out. Maybe an under $500.00 wedding is possible. Please let us know how it all turns out. :smile:

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Glad to know you had fun and made it back safely. My daughter's bachelorette is there next month. I was born and raised in and around NOLA, and it wouldn't have been my first pick. But, she had made her mind up! I just know the trouble that you can get in there, or trouble finds you. New Orleans is definitely like no where else in the world! :lol:

Our plan was to never be 100% ####faced all weekend. None of us had any intention of not remembering it. We spent the majority of the trip sightseeing, shopping, and eating the local food. We did Bourbon Street both nights and on the first night, we found this other Bachelor party from Texas and partied with them the rest of the weekend. 3/4 of both parties were in committed relationships so there was no pressure for hooking up and all that. In fact the guys were incredibly entertaining, very protective of us and kept all the creeps away, and bought our drinks all weekend. Win-win :yay: As we parted ways after brunch that last day, one of the guys smiled and said he was going to tell his wife about us :lmao: And it seems one of my cousins actually made a real love-connection with one of the single guys...she might be heading to TX to visit him! I already told her I'm coming too as "chaperone". :shrug:

Trip was a huge success, we didn't spend crazy amounts of $$$, and I'm in love with NOLA and most definitely will be re-visiting some day.