insurance payments stalling life

ginwoman

this is a horrible nightmare. So sorry you and your family and dog are getting the run around.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Frick it all. The well pump went up. somebody came out to replace it removing half the driveway. We now have dirt /sand coming out of all the faucets. I think the trees falling damaged the plumbing.

We have a working pump with black water.

Ugh.

Rant over..for now.

I am going to call State Farm about this and have another inspector over. Wish me luck. :killingme

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
Frick it all. The well pump went up. somebody came out to replace it removing half the driveway. We now have dirt /sand coming out of all the faucets. I think the trees falling damaged the plumbing.

Ugh.

Rant over..for now.

I am going to call State Farm about this and have another inspector over. Wish me luck. :killingme

:huggy:

Pushrod

Patriot
Yep, its not only State Farm. USAA as per another thread where I elaborated more, is the same way. $42k in damage/tree removals from house and they only cut a check for $23K which is made out to the mortgage company. The Mortgage company only releases 10K and will release the rest when the house is completely repaired and they inspect it to make sure the value hasn't been comprimised. Ughh!!!! This is my MIL's house who is widowed on a fixed income.

foodcritic

Got some checks on Friday from State Farm and deposited them today. Since the checks were under 10k I will be able to just deposit them and start paying contractors for work. This is only the depreciated value though so money is still being held out there.

SoMDGirl42

State Farm nightmare here too.

I finally received some of my money. It will cover some of the damages. I actually have the contractors at the house today starting repairs. I will have new (unpainted) walls and ceilings and no carpet, but at least I won't have holes in my walls. WHY do you ask? State farm actually thinks I can have my entire down stairs painted for 90 bucks and carpet installed for 300. :cds:

I'd like some of the drugs these people are on.

NewsJunky

Too bad you couldn't re-direct your mortgage payment to pay the contractors. They withhold your adjustment money, you withhold the same amount in mortgage payments.

Yeah, I know.... that's the fastest way to go to foreclosure.

Yeah - but you do have a great idea.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm not understanding the system State Farm has in place.
I'm out (of pokcet) $3K and they send a big check to the mortgage company and $400 to me? WTF, the bank isn't out anything and doesn't have to pay for repairs. I guess I'm expected to front the 10K to the roofer and any other repair costs before the bank and State Farm reimburse me?

I'll bet for 26% interest rate I can get a loan to start the repairs.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I received a notice from my homeowner's insurance company (Travelers) last week saying that their hurricane coverage was changing. Currently, it is 1% of the value of the home if the named storm is in the COUNTY that the home is located. It is changing to 1% of the STATE that the home is located in. Crap on that.....

So, I just got off the phone with Erie to get a quote. After hearing so many good things about how they responded to the hurricane storm damage, I wanted to see how they'd compare to Travelers.

In short, MUCH better coverage, for substantially lower costs. I will be saving over $750 per year for better service and coverage.

Thanks, DoWhat - especially, for suggesting Erie. :biggrin:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not understanding the system State Farm has in place.
I'm out (of pokcet) $3K and they send a big check to the mortgage company and $400 to me? WTF, the bank isn't out anything and doesn't have to pay for repairs. I guess I'm expected to front the 10K to the roofer and any other repair costs before the bank and State Farm reimburse me?

I'll bet for 26% interest rate I can get a loan to start the repairs.

Add a zero to all those numbers and you get the idea as to how much 'fun' I had with my mortgage company the last time I went through this.

Its all insurance companies that do that, by the way.

I received a notice from my homeowner's insurance company (Travelers) last week saying that their hurricane coverage was changing. Currently, it is 1% of the value of the home if the named storm is in the COUNTY that the home is located. It is changing to 1% of the STATE that the home is located in. Crap on that.....

So, I just got off the phone with Erie to get a quote. After hearing so many good things about how they responded to the hurricane storm damage, I wanted to see how they'd compare to Travelers.

In short, MUCH better coverage, for substantially lower costs. I will be saving over $750 per year for better service and coverage.

Thanks, DoWhat - especially, for suggesting Erie. :biggrin:

I made that same change from Travelers to Erie last year, same kind of scenario. Upped my coverage and pay less. So glad I did. And Erie currently does not have a hurricane clause.

I got ticked Travelers when they paid for a tree-crushed shed, and then surcharged my policy for the next 3 years. The price of the surcharge was more than the check they cut.

Pete

Repete

Ugh.

Rant over..for now.

When they yanked out the old pump and pipes and put in the new pump and pipes they likely stirred up sediment. It should clear itself out but you should take off the screens and aerators off your faucets.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
When they yanked out the old pump and pipes and put in the new pump and pipes they likely stirred up sediment. It should clear itself out but you should take off the screens and aerators off your faucets.

Aerators are off and the water now looks like watered down milk. They're still out there working on it.

It appears one toilet is so full of sediment that Dutch will have to take it apart bit by bit and clean it out.

My dream refrigerator is groaning and I pretty much have an idea why (sediment in the water lines have clogged it) I do hope that can be easily remedied.

Pete

Repete
Aerators are off and the water now looks like watered down milk. They're still out there working on it.

It appears one toilet is so full of sediment that Dutch will have to take it apart bit by bit and clean it out.

My dream refrigerator is groaning and I pretty much have an idea why (sediment in the water lines have clogged it) I do hope that can be easily remedied.

Air compressor and a bucket.

General Lee

Everyone that is having problems with their insurance companies, contact the State insurance board and the attorney general's office and inform them the issues your having with your insurance company.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Everyone that is having problems with their insurance companies, contact the State insurance board and the attorney general's office and inform them the issues your having with your insurance company.

The 'problem' with insurance companies sending checks to the mortgage companies to hold is not something the AG - or anyone else - can do the first thing about. It's standard procedure...as I found out the hard way like everyone else.