Irma

frequentflier

happy to be living
Just texted my BFF in Naples, FL near the Everglades. She is evacuating- a first in the 30+ years she has lived in SW FL.
It must be a pretty powerful storm heading that way.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
UGH. I am already tired from prepping getting ready for this storm. Mom and I were supposed to go down to Tampa tomorrow but no freaking way am I getting on 75. We will do some local stuff that doesn't require the interstate.

IF I didn't have a farm full I would be en-route to MD with my 2 horses and dogs.

littlelady

God bless the USA
UGH. I am already tired from prepping getting ready for this storm. Mom and I were supposed to go down to Tampa tomorrow but no freaking way am I getting on 75. We will do some local stuff that doesn't require the interstate.

IF I didn't have a farm full I would be en-route to MD with my 2 horses and dogs.

That is really nice and giving of you to stick around, and help with other's animals. That takes guts. I wouldn't wish a hurricane on anyone. I know people are freaked out at what we all just saw with Harvey. Good on you. Stay safe, and I wish you well.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Wise move. Getting to Tampa will be a breeze - heading north will be a parking lot. Watching the track very closely here in Tampa - looking far better for us on the west coast than those on the east. I'm staying - been through this drill a lot of times the past 42 years. You'll figure it out, but if you are stabling horses, you won't be going anywhere. Expect a good of amount of wind up there, but the rainfall will all depend on how far east it stays (hopefully).

We have horses in our equestrian 'hood, and people have been asking on our FB site about what to do with them if they have to evac. I say just ride 'em to safety, eh? Isn't that what they're for?:buddies:

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Just texted my BFF in Naples, FL near the Everglades. She is evacuating- a first in the 30+ years she has lived in SW FL.
It must be a pretty powerful storm heading that way.

It's nerve-wracking. :cds:

Brother lives on one of the Keys closer to the mainland, he's leaving tomorrow am. Works for a Navy contractor at the Base on Key West and they had planes to get flown out to a base someplace in Ga. He's going north -but unsure just where, as of yet. It's just him - so once he gets his storm shutters up and a few other things done, and take the VIP stuff he needs to take with him - he's in his truck and gone. He can pretty much just drive and drive, stopping whereever and resting or to eat, etc. It's about 6-7 hours from Lakeland (where our 1 niece lives) on a good day with no traffic. He knows it will be a parking lot.

I have 3 nieces spread out all over the state - from Lakeland to Gainesville to Pensacola. They aren't doing anything just yet - waiting to see when it turns and how far, etc. FH's parents are going to leave tomorrow and traveling up this way to stay with his sister.

PJay

It's nerve-wracking. :cds:

Brother lives on one of the Keys closer to the mainland, he's leaving tomorrow am. Works for a Navy contractor at the Base on Key West and they had planes to get flown out to a base someplace in Ga. He's going north -but unsure just where, as of yet. It's just him - so once he gets his storm shutters up and a few other things done, and take the VIP stuff he needs to take with him - he's in his truck and gone. He can pretty much just drive and drive, stopping whereever and resting or to eat, etc. It's about 6-7 hours from Lakeland (where our 1 niece lives) on a good day with no traffic. He knows it will be a parking lot.

I have 3 nieces spread out all over the state - from Lakeland to Gainesville to Pensacola. They aren't doing anything just yet - waiting to see when it turns and how far, etc. FH's parents are going to leave tomorrow and traveling up this way to stay with his sister.

Wishing them all good luck! It is worrisome...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Daughter #2 all packed and ready to leave Homestead and head to Panama City....or farther north/west if conditions warrant. She's treating it like a mini-vacation.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Daughter #2 all packed and ready to leave Homestead and head to Panama City....or farther north/west if conditions warrant. She's treating it like a mini-vacation.

Might as well handle it that way. But she has an all day ride, at least 11 hours or so, to get there if she's lucky. Probably longer with so many others heading north. We're feeling better on the Suncoast - I just hope and pray it dies down a lot before it hits hopefully in the least densely populated areas. It will hit some places very hard, though.

Better watch out up north.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Might as well handle it that way. But she has an all day ride, at least 11 hours or so, to get there if she's lucky. Probably longer with so many others heading north. We're feeling better on the Suncoast - I just hope and pray it dies down a lot before it hits hopefully in the least densely populated areas. It will hit some places very hard, though.

Better watch out up north.

Timing was "good", if you could call it that..she's between jobs (or between getting out of grad school and a job, more correctly) and between apartments, with most of her "stuff" in storage.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Timing was "good", if you could call it that..she's between jobs (or between getting out of grad school and a job, more correctly) and between apartments, with most of her "stuff" in storage.

Good luck to her in all categories. :buddies:

SamSpade

I know that - in the past - this country has tried researching this but - has anyone developed a really good idea to killing a hurricane?
Isn't it likely to be extremely cost-effective if such a technology could ever be developed?

I have heard of two approaches, both having been determined not to work with the existing technology - seeding the storm with ice or ice crystals to cool it off and make it less powerful - or seed it with solid matter to cut down on the wind force.

I would think if there was ANY way to seriously cool the ocean ahead of the storm, that you could effectively kill it. Or, barring that - find a way to achieve the same consequence of breaking up the storm as when it hits landfall -

Has anyone ever heard of a good solution?

PJay

Probably longer with so many others heading north.

That's the thing..also, so many will be going to that area..will be lucky if can find a place to stay. Last year we had to leave because of Matthew..Lake City was the best place to be..it was packed..we found a huge JC Penney parking lot and decided to park rig there. Next morning property manager knocked on door, we explained things..lucky for us he was a nice guy and very understanding and allowed us to stay.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Just looked at the updated (as of 11am) NHC track of Irma. Appears to be raking the coast of Florida - look out Georgia and South Carolina.

Irma.jpg

stgislander

PREMO Member
TWC projected weak low pressure sitting over MS/AL/TN early next week that may actually pull the storm inland.