Is 14 too young...

Should a 14 yr old ever be tried as an adult?

• Total voters
The Aug. 13 shooting involving the 14-year-old suspect occurred in the 100 block of North Linwood Ave. about 9:40 p.m. Police said an officer was flagged down by Wilmer Bonilla, 26, who needed help. The officer found Jose Rodolfo Gonzalez-Coreas, 43, lying on the front steps of a rowhouse with a gunshot wound to the head.

Bonilla told police, according to the charging documents, that he and Gonzalez were sitting on the steps when a young girl armed with a silver handgun approached and announced a robbery. "Because of the age of the suspect the victims began to laugh at which time the suspect fired one shot grazing the victim Wilmer Bonilla's head and striking Jose Coreas in the center of his forehead."

Baltimore Crime Beat: Young female murder suspect fired shot after robbery victim laughed, police say - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com

Wenchy

Hot Flash
She should be tried for murder as an adult.

What do adults get nowadays for murder? :killingme

I see a defense where the poor little girl was traumatized because her victims laughed at her. "THEY ASKED FOR IT!"

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
No. but it does make me want to delve into what is going on with her a little. But the act itself, deserves punishment. And she performed the act, knowing full well it was wrong and subject to punishment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
By the time you are 14, you are supposed to be aware that murder is not only wrong but against the law. So yes, they should be tried as an adult.

Which is kind of dumb, the way they try the exact same crime differently when it's some teenager vs. a legal adult. Crime is crime. Age shouldn't matter.

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Yup. Not only was it a murder, but an attempted robbery. I can guarantee she knew both of which are WRONG.

I agree with Baja - fry 'er. But they wont. She'll get off on insanity or immaturity or because she was having a bad hair day... or something.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
If 14 year olds go around thinking they're mature enough to have sex then they should also believe they are mature enough to face the full consequences for any crime they commit.

Send her to play with the big girls.

squidword

If 14 year olds go around thinking they're mature enough to have sex then they should also believe they are mature enough to face the full consequences for any crime they commit.

Send her to play with the big girls.

and smoke and drink and do drug! yes!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's an excellent point, because many of the people who believe a 14 year old is mature enough for sex and its consequences also believe that same 14 year old doesn't know that armed robbery and murder are wrong.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
That's an excellent point, because many of the people who believe a 14 year old is mature enough for sex and its consequences also believe that same 14 year old doesn't know that armed robbery and murder are wrong.

Actually i am seeing the opposite..folks who would swear up and down that a 14 yo couldn't possibly initiate sex or want it...would in this situation declare her guilty and prescribe death.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
When I was 14 I was working and paying taxes. I wasn't a total 'good' girl and I did things I knew were wrong (as in I could get into serious trouble forIF I got caught).
So yeah - fry the little murderer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually i am seeing the opposite..folks who would swear up and down that a 14 yo couldn't possibly initiate sex or want it...would in this situation declare her guilty and prescribe death.

Anyone who insists that a 14 year old couldn't want or initiate sex is a moron and we don't care what they have to say.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Act like a kid, get treated like a kid. Act like an adult get treated like an adult.

The juvenile system is okay for kids acting like kids. Once they graduate to adult crimes eff 'em.

Schoolyard fights or acting from emotion are appropriate for juvi. Planning and acting emotionally detached is adult behavior.

Vince

But then our opinions don't really matter. She knows she got away with it even before she did it. She knows she's a minor and will be treated as such. Nobody would dare try a 14 year old girl for murder much less convict and sentence. She will go to some home for a few years and be released back into society to do it again.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Execution then donate all her organs to folks that would really out them to good use.