Is 14 too young...

Should a 14 yr old ever be tried as an adult?

• Total voters

itsbob

I bowl overhand
...and whoever gave her the gun.

Good thing she had to wait for three days before she could legally buy the gun.. .

SHe'll be tried as a Juvi.. go to teh Juvi summer camp, and be back out comitting crimes when she's 18..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well, at least she won't die a virgin.

When they strap her onto the gurney and put the IV in her arm, and she starts feeling the cold IV fluid entering her veins.. at that point.. she's F'D!!

onebdzee

off the shelf
SHe'll be tried as a Juvi.. go to teh Juvi summer camp, and be back out comitting crimes when she's 18..

Don't be to sure about that....if you remember a few years back when the manager of the Lone Star was shot and killed, one of the two that wa s involved had just turned 16....he did not even shoot her, he just got the gun from his grandfather and was there when it happened(and ran to Va with the guy that shot her)....He was tried as an adult and is now in jail for 20 years to life(I believe)

Robin

The Aug. 13 shooting involving the 14-year-old suspect occurred in the 100 block of North Linwood Ave. about 9:40 p.m. Police said an officer was flagged down by Wilmer Bonilla, 26, who needed help. The officer found Jose Rodolfo Gonzalez-Coreas, 43, lying on the front steps of a rowhouse with a gunshot wound to the head.

Bonilla told police, according to the charging documents, that he and Gonzalez were sitting on the steps when a young girl armed with a silver handgun approached and announced a robbery. "Because of the age of the suspect the victims began to laugh at which time the suspect fired one shot grazing the victim Wilmer Bonilla's head and striking Jose Coreas in the center of his forehead."

Baltimore Crime Beat: Young female murder suspect fired shot after robbery victim laughed, police say - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com

It depends on the circumstances. It has been ruled in the past.
Teen Charged as Adult in Elizabeth Olten Case

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So if he/she did get hold of a pistol and shot someone, he should be executed?

If she was in the middle of robbing someone using the same gun, and shot one of them in the head because they made fun of her.. YES!!

This 14 year old just didn't happen onto a handgun, and it went off while she was handling it, she was committing a crime at the time.. Once she put the wheels in motion to commit armed robbery, even if the gun went off accidentally it's still MURDER!!

But maybe we should let her go.. see if she kills again before we do something... So, how many people should she be allowed to kill before we DO something about her? According to you more than one.. so how many??

Last edited:

philibusters

I'm inclined to try her as an adult. Maybe take into account the age of the killer when sentencing (perhaps setencing her to life or something with the chance of parole after 20 years or something like that. ) I actually don't know how much discretion the judge has in sentencing. A 14 year knows what they are doing. No way you can argue that she did not understand what she was doing. Have people generally reached their full maturity when they are 14--no and thats why I am inclined to consider age in sentencing, but I do think she should be tried as an adult.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
So if he/she did get hold of a pistol and shot someone, he should be executed?

I don't recall saying that the 14 year old should be executed. The question was if the girl should be tried as an adult. If my 6 year old, or any 6 year old, knows you shouldn't kill people a 14 year old should.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
A 6 year old, no.

Take age, gender and race out of the equation.

If you take a gun to rob someone, and in the process of doing the robbery you intentionally kill someone you should get the little prick. You know, the little prick that's followed by an eternity of peaceful sleep.

garyt27

INAFJ
Consequenses

I don't recall saying that the 14 year old should be executed. The question was if the girl should be tried as an adult. If my 6 year old, or any 6 year old, knows you shouldn't kill people a 14 year old should.

Of course an ordinary 14yr should know you should not kill people.
The thing is, would or should a 6yr old or 14 yr old know the consequenses?(sic?)

danjuandemarco

AKA Captain Awesome
I hate this.

She's a CHILD. Go talk to some 14-year-olds and then tell me they aren't children that just happen to be as tall as adults. She absolutely needs to be punished for her crime. But a 14-year-old murderer has a far greater likelihood of rehabilitation than an adult murderer. We should do our best to help troubled children like her see the error of their ways, accept their punishment, and then become a productive member of society one day. "Frying" the kid serves little purpose other than to feed the bloodlust of the lawful.

bcp

In My Opinion
I dont think you should fry a 14 year old for murder.
the reason is that any 14 year old that does not know that murder is wrong, is seriously retarded to the point of needing constant supervision for the remainder of their life in a state run institution. Never to be let out in public.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
She's a CHILD. Go talk to some 14-year-olds and then tell me they aren't children that just happen to be as tall as adults. She absolutely needs to be punished for her crime. But a 14-year-old murderer has a far greater likelihood of rehabilitation than an adult murderer. We should do our best to help troubled children like her see the error of their ways, accept their punishment, and then become a productive member of society one day. "Frying" the kid serves little purpose other than to feed the bloodlust of the lawful.

Did you read the article, of the steps that led to her murdering someone? She knew what she was doing, but when she got "disrespected" she felt the need to kill someone. She did this during the act of robbing someone, not in self defense, not because she shot an abusive parent, but in the act of committing a felony.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me, she needs to feel the little prick of a needle..

Have to wonder if you'd feel different if it was a MALE gang banger that did this.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
As someone said earlier: they should try the parents also, since their daughter is still a minor. If more parents paid for their minor children's major crimes, it might catch on and make the parents think twice about the value of their kid's proper upbringing...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
As someone said earlier: they should try the parents also, since their daughter is still a minor. If more parents paid for their minor children's major crimes, it might catch on and make the parents think twice about the value of their kid's proper upbringing...

Think of how much money we'd spend (unless we could get Montel to do it) to find out who the parents are...

"I'm alomst 15% sure it's one of these 10 guys!"