Is Gambling a Deal Breaker?

leslie3977

Let's say you've been with someone for 4 years. Everything in the relationship is pretty good except one thing. The person you are with is a gambler. They blow all their money, leaving you paying the bills and scraping to get by. At one point you save up $5,000 and they blow all that in a month. Would you leave this person because of this problem if everything else in the relationship is good? :popcorn:

(no this is not about me, just wondering)

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
leslie3977 said:
Let's say you've been with someone for 4 years. Everything in the relationship is pretty good except one thing. The person you are with is a gambler. They blow all their money, leaving you paying the bills and scraping to get by. At one point you save up $5,000 and they blow all that in a month. Would you leave this person because of this problem if everything else in the relationship is good? :popcorn:

Ah...so this is a hypothetical tread?

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
leslie3977 said:

Has "this person" been gambling for the entire 4 yrs.?? If so-D'oh! :smack:

leslie3977

Fubar said:
Has "this person" been gambling for the entire 4 yrs.?? If so-D'oh! :smack:
Yes, but never like the $5,000 in one month. But, she's been paying all the bills while he brings home barely anything after gambling and drinking all his money away.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
leslie3977 said:
Yes, but never like the $5,000 in one month. But, she's been paying all the bills while he brings home barely anything after gambling and drinking all his money away.
I'd tell her to ditch him, and on the way out the door have her give him Tiffany's number..

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
leslie3977 said:
And drinking?? Oh hellllll no.......... :buttkick:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
leslie3977 said:
Letting him do this is beyond belief.. for every action there should be an equal or greater reaction.

Tell him, "I bet my best friend this months paycheck that you were too responsible to gamble all your money away and leave your family high and dry. How do you suggest we pay the bills now??"

Vince

leslie3977 said:
She needs to get a clue and get the hell out.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
leslie3977 said:
At one point you save up $5,000 and they blow all that in a month. Would you leave this person because of this problem if everything else in the relationship is good?
If you can't trust them, why be in a relationship with them?

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
leslie3977 said:
No, not local. I'm not sure how he's gambling.

Very possibly he can blow it on scratch offs, Keno and on-line gambling. I've known people who have bankrupted themselves this way. It's sad.

She needs to toss him out, or pack her bags and hit the road. :yay:

mainman

Set Trippin
Tinkerbell said:
Very possibly he can blow it on scratch offs, Keno and on-line gambling. I've known people who have bankrupted themselves this way. It's sad.

She needs to toss him out, or pack her bags and hit the road. :yay:
I was wondering if he was addicted to Keno, for some reason I would want to laugh at that...:shrug:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
leslie3977 said:

Should have separate accounts. :shrug: If he's gambling now, odds are he was gambling then. Obviously it wasn't a problem before. He must have been winning. :shrug:

I know plenty of guys who gamble. However, they pay their bills first and then blow their money. Again, I say have separate accounts. He pays for his bills first and then should be free to do whatever he wants with anything that's left. Of course, if he wins, that's his money as well.

My ex-husband was a huge gambler. HUGE. However, we never had an issue over it.

leslie3977

I just don't get it. She said but he's great about everything else. (She being my sister btw) Then my mom even told me, he's great about everything else at least. And I'm like :jameo: