Is Redskins season over already?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Never said I give up on them. I just refuse to put any $$ into Danny Boy's pockets directly. I'll watch every game on TV that I can and cheer for them the entire game.

But if you had a chance to go see Dallas, you'd take a free ticket and not spend one penny while there? :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
After winning the April Super Bowl, yet again, Redskins camp needs to be;

Exciting on defense because that was the off season focus

Improved at WR because that's been weak for years and the two rookies have to step up

Solid if not spectacular at QB

Well, so far, what we hear is;

Haynesworth has missed two practices with a knee issue. If he's hurt, there goes the defense which would then be exactly as it was last year, old guys and all, plus a rookie who they don't know if they want at LB or DE. If you're considering a DE at LB, you've got a tweener; too big for LB, not big enough for DE.

There is mixed news at WR when it should be 100% good stuff.

And there is the same old same old about Jason. Simply not sharp or in command.

At this point, the one bright spot is the O line is healthy and has depth. Even that isn't all good as they seem to be well behind the D line.

:banghead:
You reading those forums again?:lol:

The defense is fine. Haynesworth is fine. Even if Haynesworth goes down we had a top 10 defense last year. My least worry is the defense. My greatest worry is the offensive line actually. So, if you say Haynesworth is done you might as well say the O-line is "unhealthy" and "done" too. I mean, if small bruises and tweaks are your meaning of "done". Heyer and Randy Thomas missed practice with injuries Tuesday.

The only bad I've heard from the Jason front is the SI stirring of the pot article. I've only read good things about his progression in his second year. They've doubled the playbook for passing plays as well.

Not sure about WR as nobody is. However, there are many that are saying that Devin Thomas is stepping up huge in camp and offseason. Of course, you can be a camp hero and season zero. There are a lot of wait and see's, with any team that is. This is why it's so fun to watch the season progress. Thousands of questions are answered and many more sprout up.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I have to admit I haven't been following the WR corps much.
I've heard the opposite. Apparently he has taken charge in the off-season and was calling the WR's to come practice with him. He's starting to lead them now. He's definitely not a born leader, but that doesn't mean he can't learn to be one.
Devin Thomas made it a point to work with Campbell a bunch in the off-season, especially in his route running.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You reading those forums again?:lol:

The defense is fine. Haynesworth is fine. Even if Haynesworth goes down we had a top 10 defense last year. He just got the biggest contract of all time. That is a lot of eggs in one basket. If you think we're fine without him then that is the same as saying it was totally a mistake getting him given other areas of concern, yes? My least worry is the defense. My greatest worry is the offensive line actually. So, if you say Haynesworth is done you might as well say the O-line is "unhealthy" and "done" too. I mean, if small bruises and tweaks are your meaning of "done". Heyer and Randy Thomas missed practice with injuries Tuesday.

The only bad I've heard from the Jason front is the SI stirring of the pot article. I've only read good things about his progression in his second year. They've doubled the playbook for passing plays as well.

Not sure about WR as nobody is. However, there are many that are saying that Devin Thomas is stepping up huge in camp and offseason. Of course, you can be a camp hero and season zero. There are a lot of wait and see's, with any team that is. This is why it's so fun to watch the season progress. Thousands of questions are answered and many more sprout up.

To me, counting on Samuels, 32, Thomas 33, Rabach, 32, and Dockery plus a player to be named later at RT is not an unreasonable plan. They should all be a year a way from Kendall status; just a bit past of being reasonable to expect a full season.

As for JC and Thomas, that should be really impressing right now if they've been working together in the offseason.

BuddyLee

Football addict
To me, counting on Samuels, 32, Thomas 33, Rabach, 32, and Dockery plus a player to be named later at RT is not an unreasonable plan. They should all be a year a way from Kendall status; just a bit past of being reasonable to expect a full season.

As for JC and Thomas, that should be really impressing right now if they've been working together in the offseason.
I don't really mind how much the guy is making. The D is fine and my least worry, with or without our supposed best paid player.

It's the offense I'm worried about. Some of those O-linemen are past their prime. One wrong tweek and you get the second half of last season again. No blocking.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Since Roydell Williams broke his pinkie finger the Redskins have brought in D.J. Hackett to compete for the 5th spot.

Interesting.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Jason Campell takes charge

Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2009 4:12 PM ET
As he commences a season that was preceded by multiple attempts to bring in the man who would replace him, Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell is embracing his role as a team leader.

We're told that he's taking charge like never before in practice, yelling at teammates and grabbing them in the huddle, when the need arises.

And his attitude came through when Campbell spoke to the media on Wednesday.
"We all have to be focused," he said. "Being a leader of a football team, practice goes the way you come out here and participate. You play upbeat. I'm coming out here, we're having fun and guys are paying attention to detail. Of course we make mistakes out here at the same time, but there are things you do to correct it. It's all about how you bounce back and continue to move forward."

Campbell also has landed on the cover of the training-camp edition Sports Illustrated, next to the caption "Pressure Points And Pivotal Players."

In the last year of his rookie contract, Campbell is definitely under pressure. But he's also going to be pivotal to the Redskins' chances in 2009. (Maybe that's why they put his picture next to those words.)

So in a conference that's flatter than a runny pancake, we think the Redskins' chances are better than most people realize, as pointed out in our latest offering for SportingNews.com

Jason Campell takes charge | ProFootballTalk.com

BuddyLee

Football addict
Devin Thomas on track to start

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 3, 2009 5:48 PM ET
Redskins receiver Devin Thomas looks ready to make the impact everyone expected from him a year ago.

The second-year player appeared to have the clearest path for a major role of any rookie wideout in 2008, but he largelysat on the sidelines while DeSean Jackson, Eddie Royal, and Donnie Avery exploded.

It looks like Thomas will get plenty of snaps this year.

The Washington Post has written about his progress non-stop, and coach Jim Zorn says he's clearly ahead of teammate Malcolm Kelly.

"We have a lot of confidence in where he's headed," Zorn said about Thomas. "I think Malcolm Kelly is coming on, Devin is showing that he is a little more seasoned than Malcolm right now."

Zorn went on to say there would be great competition between Thomas and Antwaan Randle El for the team's starting flanker spot.

But all indications are now that Thomas will get the gig, with Randle El moving to the slot.

Whether its wishful thinking or not, the Redskins believe they have found the extra playmaker that Jason Campbell has needed the last two years.

Devin Thomas on track to start | ProFootballTalk.com

BuddyLee

Football addict
Devin Thomas Seems to Be Close to Z Role

<!-- begin blogger thumbs --><!----><!-- end blogger thumbs -->I promised myself I would not write about Devin Thomas today because we've written a ton about him already and we aren't even a week into training camp.

But while speaking to people I trust in the organization last night, three separate sources praised Thomas for his improved approach. They told me he has been attentive in his position group meetings, works hard in drills and knows the playbook, three things that could not be said about him as a rookie last season.

Barring injury or regression, they said, expect Thomas to be the starting Z receiver, or flanker, opposite top wideout Santana Moss, the X receiver, or split end. They said it is clear that's the direction the coaching staff would prefer to go, which would enable the Skins to move last year's No. 2 receiver, Antwaan Randle El, to a full-time slot receiver role.

We've previously written that appeared to be the team's plan, so it's not my aim to present this as shocking news or a scoop of some sort. It's merely an update on a player whose performance is expected to be among the keys to the season. What did surprise me, however, was that informed guys all praised Thomas without me asking about him. I guess the kid really is serious about this season.

Redskins Insider - Devin Thomas Seems to Be Close to Z Role

BuddyLee

Football addict
Decent article from the Washington Post...

In the second day of this year's training camp, it was Thomas who saw the most action with the first-team unit, and he appears to have a slight edge over Kelly in the initial stage of the position battle. Of course, that's how the Redskins started last year's camp, too.

Since the two receivers were each taken in the second round of the 2008 draft, their names have appeared in the same sentence -- Thomas and Kelly, the Redskins' version of a buddy comedy -- and coaches and fans alike are paying close attention these next several weeks to see which is able to distinguish himself.

"Devin is showing that he is a little more seasoned than Malcolm right now, but they're both going to be competing and Antwaan [Randle El] is not going to give it up," Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said. "So we're having great competition at that flanker position, especially with those two guys."

washingtonpost.com

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12043557

Click link for entire article

Redskins: Five things to know

By Clark Judge

ASHBURN, Va. -- Observations from Washington Redskins camp:

1. Look out for Brian Orakpo. The team's first-round pick, Orakpo is having a marvelous training camp and, at times, has been unblockable in practice. The Redskins plan to play him at outside linebacker in their base package and move him to right defensive end in nickel and dime schemes, with Andre Carter moving to the left side. To say the Redskins are happy with him is an understatement; they're positively overjoyed. Orakpo has been explosive off the snap and experiences no trouble with pass coverage. I know it's early, but if Orakpo plays as well in games as he has in practice you should consider him an early contender for Defensive Rookie of the Year. "He's really good," said offensive tackle Chris Samuels, who has blocked against him in practices. "He's really quick and really strong. He can do some of the things that DeMarcus Ware does." This could be a good year for Washington rookie defenders. Defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon, a supplemental selection, has been a pleasant surprise. Originally the plan was to go easy with him, with an eye toward next year, but Jarmon is making so much progress he figures into this year's rotation. "We expected him to come on," said executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato, "but we didn't expect him to come on this early."

2. Second-year pros Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly will push Antwaan Randle El for the job as the team's No. 2 wide receiver. Randle El should be the slot receiver, with either Thomas or Kelly taking a spot opposite Santana Moss at split end. Thomas is the frontrunner, but only because he played last season while Kelly was hurt. Thomas has more speed, Kelly superior hands. The key, of course, is keeping them healthy. Thomas has been bothered by a sore hamstring that kept him out of several practices. "Antwaan is going to be there ready to play," coach Jim Zorn said. "Whether they can beat him out remains to be seen. Some of the preseason will determine that. I can't tell you which guy will surface, but I would say that probably Devin has the inside track because he's further along than Malcolm in route running but not further along in ability. They both have tremendous talent."

3. Next to Albert Haynesworth, maybe the biggest offseason pickup was punter Hunter Smith, a free-agent acquisition from Indianapolis. Punting was one of the worst departments for Washington last year, with the Redskins ranked dead last in the league with a net average of 33.4 yards and the club running through three punters, including sixth-round pick Durant Brooks. Smith's net was 38.8, and he has already proven he can help the Redskins where they need it most -- directional kicking. "That was as good an acquisition, potentially, as Albert Haynesworth or DeAngelo Hall," said Zorn, "because it directly impacts field position." The Redskins were 27th in punt coverage, and, yeah, that also affects field position.

4. There is no underestimating the value of Haynesworth when you play in a division with Brandon Jacobs, Brian Westbrook and Marion Barber. The Redskins last year ranked eighth against the run, which is decent, but that will only improve with Haynesworth occupying the middle of the defensive line. But here's what Washington likes most about him: He can stop the run AND rush the passer, and rushing the passer was a problem last season. Washington produced only 23 sacks, or three more than Dallas' Ware. "He's going to be different from what this division has seen," said Zorn. "For this division to play Albert Haynesworth twice a year that's going to be a load. You might be able to run away from him, but if you do you better have a couple of guys on him. And that will free up and expose some of the talent we have at key positions."

5. Most people believe that if the club doesn't make the playoffs Zorn is finished ... especially with Mike Shanahan waiting in the wings for the next caller. That's not exactly true. Owner Dan Snyder likes Zorn and wants to keep him. But he would like to see the Redskins improve offensively. In six of their final seven games last season they failed to score more than 13 points, losing all but one, and that won't cut it. Zorn is a former quarterback who originally was hired as the team's offensive coordinator because the Redskins thought he could make them better on offense. That hasn't happened, and it must change for Zorn to keep his job. Could he make it if, say, the club was 9-7 and a non-playoff club? Absolutely. But it better be more dynamic on offense than it was down the stretch in 2008.

Out of Nowhere Man

Clark Judge selects Chad Rhinehart for the Redskins' Out of Nowhere Man Chad Rinehart is working at starting right guard because Randy Thomas is hurt. Don't be misled. Rhinehart is pushing for a starting job, and there are those in the organization who think he can win it. That remains to be seen, of course, but he looks sharp in practice, showing good feet and balance in the face of a pass rush. Rhinehart was a third-round pick a year ago but did not play, so he committed himself to improving in the offseason, jacked up his weigh to 310 pounds and is now pushing Thomas for a starting job. "We had a nice little talk with him at the end of the season," said offensive line coach Joe Bugel. "We said, 'You need to bulk up some more and get more strength.' So he went back to Northern Iowa [where he attended college] and started pounding the weights. He put on about really good 15 pounds and came back a completely different player and person. He has confidence in himself, and he's a warrior. He's a good athlete, and he's very intelligent. He's a good learner."

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
:yeahthat:

I follow the O's because I have always liked them, but I will not pay to see a game until Angelos is dead or no longer the owner.

I follow the Skins because I have always liked them, but I will not pay to see a game until Snyder is no longer the owner.

You have antenna? You pay for cable/sat. don't you :shrug: Unless you have a free hook up, you technically are paying to see them :yay:

On to the real side of things being I know your talking tickets to the game, that would have to be a VERY VERY cold day in hell, as the only reason the cowturds are ahead in value over the Skins right now is because of their new stadium...

Danny has money, and I dont know many people with more that have intrest in buying NFL teams :ohwell:

If only Joe Gibbs could afford it :whistle: :lol:

angelbaby

Anyone see how much the Redskins scratch off tickets are? Hubby and I just took a trip to Va so I thought while I was there I would pick one up. Stopped at a gas station and to my surprise (rather shock) they were $20! :faint: :shocking: Now granted you can win up to 20 times (highly doubt that will happen) but that's just too dang expensive to me. I would be :mad: if I paid $20 and didnt win anything. Although I'd be :yahoo: if I won season tickets for 20 years! :lol: No wonder Snyder is so rich. :ohwell: