Is this about a gay man getting baptized or about Philip getting transported?

seekeroftruth

Acts 8:26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”
30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.
31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
32 This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading:
“He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
Who can speak of his descendants?
For his life was taken from the earth.”
34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?” 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.
In the footnotes... verse 37: Some manuscripts include here Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” The eunuch answered, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

Now... let me give you the definition of a eunuch. I got this definition from Got Questions.

The eunuchs of the Bible were usually castrated males or those incapable of reproduction due to a birth defect. A eunuch could also be someone who performed work typical of eunuchs, although he remained perfectly capable of having sex—i.e., “eunuch” in some cases was simply a title. The purpose of intentional castration was to induce impotence and remove sexuality. It was a common practice in ancient times for rulers to castrate some of their servants and/or advisers in order to subdue and pacify them. It was especially common to castrate men who tended the royal harem. Queen Esther’s eunuchs are mentioned in Esther 4:4.​
In Matthew 19:12, Jesus mentions eunuchs in the context of whether it is good to marry. He says, “There are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” Jesus identifies three types of “eunuchs” here: natural eunuchs (“born that way”), forced eunuchs (“made eunuchs by others”), and voluntary eunuchs (“those who choose”).​
OK... This is a story about a Eunuch. He was a smart guy who worked for the Queen. He was castrated... sexless or sex changed or just not interested in sex... he was trusted to be around women.

In Matthew, Jesus told us there are three types of Eunuchs. They could be born that way. Born sexless..... hhhmmmm. They could be forced to be that way... like when the Persians gathered up all the able-bodied men, they castrated them so the Jewish Nation would stop growing. And then there were those who chose to be sexless or sex changed... in other words, they didn't get aroused around women... women weren't their type. [Get my drift?]

The man asked Philip to explain it to him. Philip explained. The Eunuch was Baptized right then and there. A Baptized Castrate.... or a Baptized sex changed man. Right? Is that what I'm reading?

Switching to the disappearance, this is from the commentary.

The Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more... Philip was found at Azotus: Suddenly, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away as he and the Ethiopian came out of the water. He was then transported supernaturally in some way to the former Philistine city of Azotus (also known as Ashdod).​

Beam me up Skottie.... Philip was transported supernaturally to Ashdod! Did you miss that? I didn't.... Beam me up Skottie!

So, is this a story about a gay man [for whichever reason] who accepted Jesus as his Savior?

Is this story about why Philip got transported after baptizing the eunuch?

Dr. Luke, the author of the Gospel of Luke and this Book, has left me scratching my head and questioning this morning.

Is this about a gay man getting baptized or about Philip getting transported?

:coffee:

SamSpade

I don’t know anyone who actually knows a gay man who would say they CHOSE to be that way.

I’d always assumed this turn of phrase referred to people like Paul the apostle, who chose celibacy SPECIFICALLY so he could better minister to God’s people - which is why Jesus said it that way.

seekeroftruth

I don’t know anyone who actually knows a gay man who would say they CHOSE to be that way.

I’d always assumed this turn of phrase referred to people like Paul the apostle, who chose celibacy SPECIFICALLY so he could better minister to God’s people - which is why Jesus said it that way.

I use to think gay men would want to keep it quiet. Until recently the culture was taboo.... now, not so much.

Daniel was a eunuch.... forced by the Persians. They cut it off.

Paul might have been a eunuch by choice, but which sex? I have a lot of doubts about an angry Greco Roman Jew. It's the Greco Roman part that confuses me.

Is it easier for a gay man to keep it quiet? Would a gay woman have the same security by keeping it quiet? Men don't often sniff on other men, but they do sniff on women a lot.

And... I have recently started to say "three sons got off the ark".... one was the line of Jesus... the other two... who were they? Why was Ham cursed?

black dog

Free America
I'm not sure either of you have actually had conversations with someone that is gay.
One of my sisters is gay, always has been. Her wife and her are quite happy together.

seekeroftruth

I'm not sure either of you have actually had conversations with someone that is gay.
One of my sisters is gay, always has been. Her wife and her are quite happy together.

Oh, I've actually had long conversations with someone that is gay. Actually, I worked in the gay bar on Water Street in Baltimore. The day the astronauts first walked on the moon, I came home from work early and caught my husband in my bed with a man. My granddaughter is gay. She's one of the coolest people I know! My son was raised by my mom and dad because I didn't want him raised by a gay man. I told off two teachers very publicly in a Calvert County Elementary School. They were gay men married... teaching elementary school. I asked them what their mom said when she found out.

I used to listen to WAVA radio. Women [well mostly women] would call in because their gay children were not accepted in a church. They didn't choose to be gay... they just are. I did not believe it. Now I know better...

I was vicious against gays [and abortion] .... I said gays ruined my life. My marriage was a lie... I thought he loved me... he only wanted to get his dad to stop nagging him. Now.... not so much.... Now I'm more of a Joshua type "as for me and my household...we will serve the Lord".

Like I said... Three [3] boys got off the ark. One was the family line of Jesus... the other two... Who were they? What was the curse of Ham? And now I'll add the newest comment I have about the three boys on the ark.... If one of them was gay.... and God didn't like gays [think Sodom] then why didn't he make the gay boy miss the boat? How did gays survive the flood if God hated them so much?

The question was.... is this about the Eunuch being Baptized by the deacon Philip or is it about the "Beam me up Scottie" transport of Philip after the Eunuch was Baptized? Guess God meant for that Eunuch to be Baptized.... right?

black dog

Free America
Gays ruined your life, your parents raised your son... long exxxxxxhale wtf...
Looks like you found salvation and forgiveness in your book of morals.
Good Day

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You gave your son up because his father was gay? Way to go! Your boy not only lost his father, but you because of your insecurities. Actually, he was probably better off with his grandparents.

black dog

Free America
You gave your son up because his father was gay? Way to go! Your boy not only lost his father, but you because of your insecurities. Actually, he was probably better off with his grandparents.
Yea, I have a birth mom like that.

Thanks Dad, for always being there.

SamSpade

Like I said... Three [3] boys got off the ark. One was the family line of Jesus... the other two... Who were they? What was the curse of Ham? And now I'll add the newest comment I have about the three boys on the ark.... If one of them was gay.... and God didn't like gays [think Sodom] then why didn't he make the gay boy miss the boat? How did gays survive the flood if God hated them so much?
I'm not at all sure what your line of reasoning is. The bible also says his three sons' wives were also on the ark.
The Table of Nations - Genesis 10 - details the descendants of his sons.
Ham would be the father of Cush (Ethiopia), Mizraim (Egypt) Phut (Libya) and Canaan (all of the Canaanites the Israelites faced).
Shem would become the father of all the nations we now call "Semitic".
Japheth - father of Gomer (Cimmerians) Magog (Scythians) Madai (the Medes) Javan (Ionians or Greeks) Tubal (Turks) Meshech (Slavic peoples) and Tiras (the Etruscans).

So, none of them were probably - gay.

Are you suggesting that - gay - is a genetically inherited trait? I never believed that - but not all things people are "born with" are hereditary. For example, Klinefelter syndrome - the extra X chromosome - is not inherited and is RANDOM. These are genetic disorders that are not "inherited". Some are mutations - others from conditions happening within the womb. Two of my children have congenital disorders - they were born that way.

I do believe gay people are born that way. Ask someone with a gay sibling - they will say "we always knew he/she was gay".

seekeroftruth

This was in 1979.... and I wanted him raised in a Christian home. My parents were Christians. He is a fine man now... he has a wonderful wife and five children, and last I heard he was active in his church....

I stayed with his father for years and I tried to be a good Christian witness for his dad. When I got pregnant with him my husband tried to get me to have an abortion. I refused. He tried to beat it out of me. He tried to throw me out of a car doing 60 MPH on the highway. As soon as my son was born, I took my two daughters and my son and I left. I really tried.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
This was in 1979.... and I wanted him raised in a Christian home. My parents were Christians. He is a fine man now... he has a wonderful wife and five children, and last I heard he was active in his church....

I stayed with his father for years and I tried to be a good Christian witness for his dad. When I got pregnant with him my husband tried to get me to have an abortion. I refused. He tried to beat it out of me. He tried to throw me out of a car doing 60 MPH on the highway. As soon as my son was born, I took my two daughters and my son and I left. I really tried.
You wanted him raised Christian, but not your daughters?

seekeroftruth

I'm not at all sure what your line of reasoning is. The bible also says his three sons' wives were also on the ark.
The Table of Nations - Genesis 10 - details the descendants of his sons.
Ham would be the father of Cush (Ethiopia), Mizraim (Egypt) Phut (Libya) and Canaan (all of the Canaanites the Israelites faced).
Shem would become the father of all the nations we now call "Semitic".
Japheth - father of Gomer (Cimmerians) Magog (Scythians) Madai (the Medes) Javan (Ionians or Greeks) Tubal (Turks) Meshech (Slavic peoples) and Tiras (the Etruscans).

So, none of them were probably - gay.

Are you suggesting that - gay - is a genetically inherited trait? I never believed that - but not all things people are "born with" are hereditary. For example, Klinefelter syndrome - the extra X chromosome - is not inherited and is RANDOM. These are genetic disorders that are not "inherited". Some are mutations - others from conditions happening within the womb. Two of my children have congenital disorders - they were born that way.

I do believe gay people are born that way. Ask someone with a gay sibling - they will say "we always knew he/she was gay".
Just because a man had a wife back in the days of Noah.... well it doesn't prove he wasn't gay. Yep... I know they all had wives. Wives were chosen before they came of age. It was what they did....

I am saying.... being gay is genetic... yes. I don't think anyone can be "turned" as the church taught. I think they can be taught to act "normal".

I've been hearing a lot about the schools for American Indians back in the day. You know they're still finding graves outside of the school in Canada. They tried to "train" the Indians to be "normal" [white]. They were born American Indian but that didn't please everyone so they had to be "trained".

I use to think "gay" was a disorder. Is having red hair a disorder? Is having green eyes a disorder?

Listen.... I've been vocal my whole life. I called out gays in public places. My mom and I didn't talk for years because I refused to get an abortion. She was all for abortion. I've been ousted in the newspaper for being opposed to abortion. Now... not so much.

One of those three boys was carrying a gay gene. God didn't see anything wrong with it... He would have done away with it before allowing him to step on the ark. After all, God was using the flood to clean up the corruption.

Look at how the size of families has dwindled over the generations. Procreation is down. Is being gay the new birth control?

So, what was the original question? Are these verses about the Eunuch getting Baptized by deacon Philip or was it about the supernatural transport of Philip from the river to a completely different town? I guess it was about the Eunuch getting Baptized. I guess it's easier to talk about gayness than it is to talk about supernatural transport. lol

seekeroftruth

You wanted him raised Christian, but not your daughters?
My parents couldn't take them. It was a very rough situation back in 1979. Things were a lot different back then. "Peace and Love and Free Love and all that jazz".

I made sure my girls knew about Jesus from the day they were born.

One of my daughters calls me her "biological mother". The other "forgives" me for being such an ignorant ass.

All three of my natural children turned out to be amazing people. My son bends neon for signs. My youngest daughter teaches sign language. My oldest is studying law and wants to go into family law. My adopted daughter is in healthcare. She was working right there in the hospital in Calvert County during the pandemic. I've mentioned Hubby who helped raise my adopted daughter... He's my best friend and we've been married for almost 40 years. He's a great guy.

My story has some really nasty parts.... but it also has some magnificent parts too.

What was is done. What is... ain't so bad after all. My girls don't put up with any guff. My son is a great man. My ex is old, fat and ugly... lol... and he'll tell you so himself... lol.

Yes... I think Noah carried a gay gene on the ark... and God put it there.

The question though is this.... were these verses about a Eunuch getting Baptized or were they about Philip being supernaturally transported out of the River and to another town?

seekeroftruth

Gays ruined your life, your parents raised your son... long exxxxxxhale wtf...
Looks like you found salvation and forgiveness in your book of morals.
Good Day
My book of morals has been interpreted by a lot of ignorant men over the years.

Y'all insisted on taking the 10 Commandments down... so who knows what the civil moral code is anymore....

SamSpade

I don't think gay is genetic - it has a strong downward pressure to NOT persist in the genetic pool. In any species, that breeds a trait out - eventually. And I am talking many years and many generations - a trait which the environment puts pressure on to resist being reproduced - WILL eventually breed OUT. This is just simple math - if "gay" is genetic, it would disappear from the gene pool unless gay men are constantly reproducing - which they don't, typically.

I've seen no evidence that it runs in families - as even recessive genes tend to do. And there are clear, definitive cases of twins who are not both gay, even though they are genetically the same.

I do believe it is a congenital disorder - it is caused by any number of things that happen in the womb - but it is not genetics. This would easily explain why something recurs through history, even though homosexuality has a downward pressure to NOT reproduce.

black dog

Free America
My book of morals has been interpreted by a lot of ignorant men over the years.

Y'all insisted on taking the 10 Commandments down... so who knows what the civil moral code is anymore....

By many more ignorant Christians, there's no worries with having the 10 Commandments in our town.

thumbnail1.jpg

Here comes the best part with the Good Christian Geriatric's in our town. Here's what's left of the once beautiful Methodist Church the block behind the granite 10 Commandment's. I was a member years back, we needed a choir director and no one stood up so a new member volunteered and he was doing a wonderful job with all age groups on Sunday mornings.
Seems some of the good geriatric Christian members found out the choir director ( now in the position about two years ) was a gay man.
They all went stupid and endlessly complained to the minister and forced him to make a decision, he told the church member that was in good standing that he was to step down and find a new church.
The end result was it split the church in half, within a year or so, the good geriatric Christians that stayed couldn't pay the mortgage, utility's and taxes on the church. It then went up for tax sale. its been empty for years now.
All was lost over the do gooders, and there book of morals. yeaaaaa...

Its a good thing the so many of the good geriatric Christians are now dead and gone.

thumbnail2.jpg

seekeroftruth

I don't think gay is genetic - it has a strong downward pressure to NOT persist in the genetic pool. In any species, that breeds a trait out - eventually. And I am talking many years and many generations - a trait which the environment puts pressure on to resist being reproduced - WILL eventually breed OUT. This is just simple math - if "gay" is genetic, it would disappear from the gene pool unless gay men are constantly reproducing - which they don't, typically.

I've seen no evidence that it runs in families - as even recessive genes tend to do. And there are clear, definitive cases of twins who are not both gay, even though they are genetically the same.

I do believe it is a congenital disorder - it is caused by any number of things that happen in the womb - but it is not genetics. This would easily explain why something recurs through history, even though homosexuality has a downward pressure to NOT reproduce.
I used to think it was a disorder. But... being gay isn't something bad. Gay people are still people; they just don't procreate.

If a child is orphaned or just thrown away, gay couples are happy to step in as good loving people.

Worried about being raised by gay people rubbing off on straight children.... God took care of that in Eden, when He gave women the "urge" to have sex and the "desire" to procreate. Procreation is an instinct not an idea. Humans can't help the urges any more than bunnies can. It's an instinct.

I also used to think my freckles were a disorder too. I was the only freckled kid in my class in elementary school. I tried everything I could to get rid of them... even bleach. Gay is not a disorder.... it's a being.

I think the Eunuch in this story was a good man, a bit different than all the others, and I believe Philip made sure he was baptizing the man for the right reasons. It's in verse 37 which is left out by the NIV, mentioned in the footnotes.

Acts 8:37 “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” The eunuch answered, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

I think God moved Philip from the river where the Baptism took place to a totally different town, so that we would stop and read all this again.

Today, the world is so mean.... and so greedy.... and wrapped around money.... some women are willing to kill themselves doing bathroom abortions, rather than have a baby. Gay people are happy to take our throwaway babies. But we say they are "disordered" or "perverted".
The church can't explain it so it's wrong or it's a disorder to most. My granddaughter didn't learn to be gay... she went to Catholic School!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Thinking somewhere along the line a child's curiosity was piqued, and continued within that vein into adolescence and adulthood. And/or being around another same sex child already inculcated with such thoughts and mannerisms that said, let's play a game? You show me yours and I'll show you mine? Or maybe the child lacked a strong male presence in their life with a loving and nurturing mother as well?

Outside of a religious context, most people revolt against knowing, or finding out, someone who is homosexual and commits sodomy due to what it involves, and at times, the diseases that it can bring forth and spread. Picturing it, just puts many people off. In addition to the now in-your-face, everyday, everywhere, you-must-accept-our-deviancy mantra everywhere one goes.

For those with open minds and understanding of another's sexual orientation, regardless of reason, it is not a big deal. Being that whatever someone does in their life that makes them happy, as long as they don't force the issue on others, have at it. It is only when it is made public and the demand of acceptance by everyone be called for is when problems arise in the public square.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

laying down with the same sex is a choice not a genetic predisposition