It appears as though the deer hunting is drying u

somdshootnet

Stopped hunting in Maryland years ago. Too many people and not enough land. And most of the private land, the owners don't want any hunters on it. Public Land? Forget it. Too many idiots on Public Land that don't know how to hunt and shoot at anything that moves. Don't want to end up another hunting accident.

This is the reason I coined the phrase "deer shooters" many decades ago. There's a big difference between a deer hunter and a deer shooter and I think you have the deer shooter part all figured out, congratulations to you.

Vince

This is the reason I coined the phrase "deer shooters" many decades ago. There's a big difference between a deer hunter and a deer shooter and I think you have the deer shooter part all figured out, congratulations to you.
As old as I am, and as many years as I've been hunting...had that figured out a long time ago.

bulldog

So, the person who kills a deer over (or on the way to) a bait pile...is that a deer hunter or deer shooter?

somdshootnet

So, the person who kills a deer over (or on the way to) a bait pile...is that a deer hunter or deer shooter?

I think you misunderstand where the comments came from regarding the deer shooter/deer hunter replies. Go back to Vince's original post and read the thread from that point. The comments have nothing to do with the original baiting issue, it is directed at safety issues on public hunting lands.

bulldog

I will admit that I do use corn and I will also submit my experience with it over the past 5 years... about 8 times out of 10, the deer will pass by the corn. I only use it when there are no crops on the fields. This year, there was nothing planted on the field and the Red Oaks and the White Oaks both produced acorns, so, there is still plenty of "natural" food for them.

White Oaks produce every year, Red Oaks produce every two years, this year was the production year for the Red Oak, next year, the acorn production will half of what it was this year, so, find some White Oaks to hunt next year.

As for liquid baits, I use Buck Jam Apple, and have been using it for a few years. I have witnessed deer eating stumps to the ground and then eating the dirt to get this stuff, Buck Jam works, corn not so much. I have a cedar stump right now that the deer are trying to uproot from the Buck Jam I put on it about 3 weeks ago.

Example: Buck Jam Apple - Bass Pro

Please explain your comments that I have put in bold. If I'm reading this correctly, you seem to imply that all red oaks produce in the same year...every other year, and that white oaks produce every year.

In general, red oaks do produce every other year, but certainly not all are producing during the same year and therefore there is red oak mast production every year. Some won't produce a viable mast crop for several years...depending on environmental conditions (rain for example).
In general, white oaks do produce every year, but again, mast crop will be affected by environmental conditions.

cmhurley1

Not much deer talk on the forums recently, I see things must be drying up in Southern Maryland, what's your perspective on the issue?

I just have not been able to get out there.

I was lucky enough to tag a doe in the early smokepole season, and a buck in the shotgun season. My dad also put a buck down a few days after me in the shotgun season. So our little freezer is close to full, and I've just been bone hunting very lightly ever since. i went out 5 days of this last muzzleloader season and saw almost nothing, 3 does and a small buck.

Its hard to say where the deer all go, it seems we shot them all up early this year lol

On our property its been a reoccurring thing the last 5 or 6 years for the deer to seemingly "vanish" when getting into December, and even later November some years. it could be the hunting pressure shutting down their movement, could be something entirely different.

Now i have a question, from everyone's experience in our lovely Maryland woods, when do the bucks around here start to drop their antlers?

Anyone else devoting this last month to the pursuit of a shooter with the stick and string?

game on lol :evil:

bulldog

I was lucky enough to tag a doe in the early smokepole season, and a buck in the shotgun season. My dad also put a buck down a few days after me in the shotgun season. So our little freezer is close to full, and I've just been bone hunting very lightly ever since. i went out 5 days of this last muzzleloader season and saw almost nothing, 3 does and a small buck.

Its hard to say where the deer all go, it seems we shot them all up early this year lol

On our property its been a reoccurring thing the last 5 or 6 years for the deer to seemingly "vanish" when getting into December, and even later November some years. it could be the hunting pressure shutting down their movement, could be something entirely different.

Now i have a question, from everyone's experience in our lovely Maryland woods, when do the bucks around here start to drop their antlers?

Anyone else devoting this last month to the pursuit of a shooter with the stick and string?

game on lol :evil:

In general, from February on is when you'll see the majority of antler sheds, but some bucks have already dropped antlers. The timing of antler drop has some to do with genetics, some to do with stress, some to do with flat out timing. With the large hit of snow we took food became hard to find (stress). A little warm weather, but now constant high winds and low temps, (more stress) make it hard on the younger bucks who are not as wise/schooled at finding food as the older ones. The sheds that are being found now are from young bucks.
I hunt 95% stick and string with a little ML thrown in to ensure a full freezer if need be.

somdshootnet

Except for shotgun this weekend, yes.

Same here. I'll make use of the last 2 shotgun and then it's gonna be bow till the end. It'll give me a chance to wipe out the tree rat population a bit with the old arrows I have laying here. It's won't be much longer and I'll be out there busting crows. After that, I guess it's back to Myrtle Grove with the wife to shoot some paper and bust some clays. I'll be glad when the weather warms up, we'll all have to get together and go clay busting sometime.

ylexot

Super Genius
Saw 6 on the way home today. One was alone in a field far from any wooded area. Five had just crossed Rt 5 in St Mary's City.