It's a girl

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Then, daddy isn't a Perlino...he's an Amber Cream. If present, the champagne gene is expressed regardless of whether the horse is heterozygous or homozygous. A Perlino is a bay with two copies of a cream gene. A bay based horse with one copy of the creme gene and a champagne gene is an Amber Cream.

Either way, her eyes sound AWESOME and she is super cute! How big is she? If I remember correctly mama is a big girl? Congrats Granny Paso. :yahoo:

Not sure that there is enough information to determine that yet. It is possible but ther are too many unknowns. Unless of course that you are privy to the color dna of the daddy's sire and dam.

Regardless, filly is stunning!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
We will probably DNA her...will that tell us what we want to know???

yes.

Will she be able to be registered walker?

Do you know what color the daddys sire and dam are for sure?

Red, Black and Agouti is one test.
then you could add on cream and or champange.
You already can see she is overo.
I wouldn't waste money on that additional test.
Base color and any modifiers would be nice to know if you plan to breed her in the future.

My yearling filly is a Silver Amber Champange, she is much lighter than your filly. EE/Aa/nCh/ZZ

CountryLady

luvmyponies
i would think doing a dna color test will tell you everything you need to know. so exciting! we should take some more pics of her. her eyes are very interesting.

here's a link to her easier-to-tell eye Panda's baby 257 pictures from horses photos on webshots

and the harder-to-tell eye Panda's baby 305 pictures from horses photos on webshots

Very cool pics!! WOW!! I love babies,especially ones with pretty color. :yahoo:

She looks like she may have some freckles around her muzzle.

But if I remember correctly, my filly had a few and she got a few more as she grew. So It still may be early to tell if she is champange.

My filly has silver & champange, both are dilutes and have their own dosing effects.

So if your filly carried cream and champange, I would imagine there would be dosing effects from both dilutes.

The question is what base color did she inherit from her parents?
If your black mare carries red, she could just as easily be a "Gold champange" which looks kinda like a palomino.

Interesting!

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
We will probably DNA her...will that tell us what we want to know???

Color typing matters especially if you're gonna breed her (or momma) to Mr Big and Handsome HONDO for a KMSHA foal someday :buddies: :gossip: I am a KMSHA examiner and RC has submitted the paperwork too become an examiner, so we will be able to fully certify Panda and her filly KMSHA. :biggrin:

The foal color calculator is fun, and will tell you the possible base colors you could get when you breed her to specific colors. Your mare is black based and carries red (you know she does because she now has a red foal). Eeaa. Color Calculator

She looks palomino to me, which is Red based with creme. Golden Champagnes with Creme are often mistaken for Cremello. This one definately doesn't look like that. The blue eyes are most likely from the Sabino spotting gene, giving her that loud color and bald face.

Hondo is buckskin, carries red. Black based, with agouti (bay) with creme, carries recessive red. EeAaCrcr So he can produce both buckskin and palomino foals. He also carries hidden sabino 1 which is one of the pattern genes that give you the color pattern in the foal. He has 2 very small white socks. I just don't breed for spots, since mine are Rockies and Kentucky MHs and too much white is not registerable, so i get some bling from him, but no body spots. I can breed him to a solid spotted mountain horse mare and have a good chance of getting body spots in the foal. Hondo is black based, carries single agouti single creme and red. EeAaCrcr

The bigger question is about movement and way of going. Does Panda rack (back and forth motion like your Pasos) or do a running walk or stepping (broken) pace (is she more pacey/side to side)? Many SSH are racking horses because of the paint (trotting horse) influence used to get the color.

Either is fine for Hondo, since he is a strong saddle racker who moves laterally (which is correct), breeding a lateral moving pacer/step pacer to a strong saddle racker or racker creates a good structural balance in the foal for an easy, natural saddle rack which needs no conditioning to maintain or develop (obviously the best kind of foal!).

Breeding a hard trotter (very diagonal) to a pacer or step pacer (lateral) can and usually does produce a fox trotter which is more diagonal rather than lateral, kind of pacey behind and trotty up front, and for the most part, is still smooth but takes some time to develop and to keep conditioned. A fox trotter is the hardest gait to outcross, since it is diagonal in nature and should be bred to another foxtrotter to maintain consistency in the foal, but that's not always possible, depending on the breed.

The best Walker/Rocky cross would be a step pacer (running walker) to a natural saddle racker or a racker. This will very likely give you a saddle racking foal that is eligible for both the KMSHA and the RHBA registries, which need that smooth consistent racking gait to certify (showing no pace or trot).

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Panda is double reg walker and racker..she is very lateral..as so is Barbie already...Foal is able to be registered also..not sure what past TWH

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Panda is double reg walker and racker..she is very lateral..as so is Barbie already...Foal is able to be registered also..not sure what past TWH

FYI ALL young foals appear to "gait" (move laterally) because their joints/muscles are so loose when they're young that they move laterally and appear to be gaiting - it's the easiest way to move quick for a newborn/young foal.

You'll know what gait she'll do when mature after she reaches 6-8 months old. I'd rather see trotty yearlings rather than pacey, trotty means they'll rack or saddle rack. A pacey yearling will be a step pacer (do a running walk or stepping or broken pace) as an adult. The two feel totally different under saddle.

What Racking registry is she? RHBA? Racking Horse Breeders
Is the sire registered Racker too? If so, the foal is automatically eligible. If not, she will have to show gait to be eligible - if she racks naturally you can show her racking on a lunge line after 6 or 8 months old to be registered RHBA.

I think I'm going to get Hondo registered RHBA (I have a huge palomino RHBA mare), I just have to have someone shoot a compliant video of him to send to RHBA certifiers. Then he'll be triple registered.

Last edited: