It's Necessary?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Makeup. Eye makeup. Blush, lipstick, etc. REALLY? Really necessary? There are some faces and skin which do benefit from makeup, but I think a lot would do as well or better without it. I know a lady who is quite pretty without makeup who was absolutely mortified that she was seen with no makeup on. Of the many things that women have to go through, it seems to me as though putting makeup on and taking it off shouldn't be one of them. JMHO. Your thoughts?

mamatutu

mama to two
Makeup. Eye makeup. Blush, lipstick, etc. REALLY? Really necessary? There are some faces and skin which do benefit from makeup, but I think a lot would do as well or better without it. I know a lady who is quite pretty without makeup who was absolutely mortified that she was seen with no makeup on. Of the many things that women have to go through, it seems to me as though putting makeup on and taking it off shouldn't be one of them. JMHO. Your thoughts?

I have worn makeup for so long, I do not like not wearing it. I am in my late 50's, so I do need a little tweaking! :lol: I think women get used to wearing it, and it makes us feel good. It has been a part of my daily routine for so long, I don't even think about it, and takes me less than 10 minutes. Also, I only wear makeup when I leave the house. Otherwise, I am au naturale!

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
When we were dating, hubby-to-be said

"You are so beautiful, why the #(% do you wear that ^#@*?"

:blushing:

And it worked. Married him and never wore makeup again.

No more money spent in that department.:evil: (though he swears money was no considering factor)

Caution

I am a guy so am likely way off base with this but I think Make-up is just something that has come to be somewhat of an expectation put on women to wear put on them by society. If everyone else was not doing it I doubt most women would be either. I don't see it as being much different than a man getting up and shaving in the morning. Just shows someone is willing to do whatever is commonly accepted regarding keeping up their appearance. Nothing wrong with it, at least in my eyes.

But I will say that I personally don't really pay much attention to whether or not a gal wears make up. It's not something that drives me to like them any more or any less. Just not a deciding factor. The make up does not make the gal.

Some guys may like it. Take the gal out on a Friday night and she is all decked out and looking sharp. Good stuff.

A great smile and the willingness to laugh is what does it for me when it comes to ladies. I have met gals who have piercings all over, tattoos and have make up put on in such a way that supports that kind of style. Not that I am into all that, just nothing against it at all either though. But I can look through all that as well. If I like your personality I can see it through all the enhancements.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, I don't want to hear this crap. Women are told from birth that they should wear makeup and do their hair, that they should look pretty. And guess who tells them that?

Yep, that would be men.

You all ogle and sigh over some transformed actress or model who is made up, boofed out, plastic surgeried, and airbrushed to within an inch of her life. Not a single one of you had a pinup of Billy Jack's granola wife in their teenage bedroom.

Not only that but you make disparaging remarks about famous women when they're photographed without their fixin's. And some who even *have* their fixin's but don't quite meet your exacting standards for beauty. Too fat; too ugly; too old.

Yes, you settle for normal looking middle-aged women who slop around in a t-shirt, but that's only because Kate Upton wouldn't give you the time of day. I note that the Playboy Bunnies you slobber over don't look like your wife or girlfriend, and you not only wouldn't buy a magazine that featured normal looking women nekkid, you'd make merciless fun of it. Men's Health magazine, which I subscribe to, does not have one normal looking everyday woman in their pages. Every single model is in her 20s, very slim, hair all shiny and bouncy, and....wearing a #### ton of makeup.

There's nothing wrong with preferring beauty; it's a normal human reaction. But that beauty comes with some effort, it very rarely just happens naturally. So stop with the "I prefer my women to look natural" because that is a damned lie and we know it. You don't "prefer" it - it's what you have to settle for.

Last edited:

Caution

You know, I don't want to hear this crap. Women are told from birth that they should wear makeup and do their hair, that they should look pretty. And guess who tells them that?

Yep, that would be men.

You all ogle and sigh over some transformed actress or model who is made up, boofed out, plastic surgeried, and airbrushed to within an inch of her life. Not a single one of you had a pinup of Billy Jack's granola wife in their teenage bedroom.

Not only that but you make disparaging remarks about famous women when they're photographed without their fixin's. And some who even *have* their fixin's but don't quite meet your exacting standards for beauty. Too fat; too ugly; too old.

Yes, you settle for normal looking middle-aged women who slop around in a t-shirt, but that's only because Kate Upton wouldn't give you the time of day. I note that the Playboy Bunnies you slobber over don't look like your wife or girlfriend, and you not only wouldn't buy a magazine that featured normal looking women nekkid, you'd make merciless fun of it. Men's Health magazine, which I subscribe to, does not have one normal looking everyday woman in their pages. Every single model is in her 20s, very slim, hair all shiny and bouncy, and....wearing a #### ton of makeup.

There's nothing wrong with preferring beauty; it's a normal human reaction. But that beauty comes with some effort, it very rarely just happens naturally. So stop with the "I prefer my women to look natural" because that is a damned lie and we know it. You don't "prefer" it - it's what you have to settle for.

Eye Candy is always nice to look at. It's just not something that triggers me to react by trying to strike up a conversation.

ZARA

Most women do not wear make-up for anyone's viewing pleasure except their own.

Most of us do not give a flying F* if people that see us find us attractive, we do it because it makes us FEEL attractive.

We apply it, are happy with it, and it makes us feel better about ourselves. Others' viewing pleasure is just a side effect.

**Key words are *Most women*

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Eye Candy is always nice to look at. It's just not something that triggers me to react by trying to strike up a conversation.

Because you think she's out of your league and you'll be shot down.

But if you sit two women - one a nuclear physicist with a sparkling personality but uglier than homemade sin; the other a vapid self-absorbed supermodel - next to each other at the bar, I guarantee you the supermodel will be knee deep in men and the physicist will not.

ZARA

Not me. When I'm home alone I don't do a damn thing to beautify.

Same. I feel comfortable going out in public without makeup too. Err...except for mascara...my eye lashes are blonde. I look funny without eyelashes...mascara is a MUST.

*I always wear mascara

MMM_donuts

But you know what's better than being able to strike up a conversation? Being able to strike up a conversation WHILE looking like Kate Upton.

Which I think is often the goal.

I can't find it now but there's a cartoon that one of my moms clipped out of a newspaper once that showed:
1. Husband tells new wife that she shouldn't spend so much time on makeup.
2. Husband tells wife she dresses too sexy.
3. Wife watches husband leave with younger, sexier, made up woman that looks just like she used to.

Appearance is subjective, though. For every man here that prefers a no-makeuped woman, there's another that prefers a polished natural look, and another that prefers an uncommonly beautiful woman.

It's up to the woman to decide what's important to her.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed

Yep, that would be men.

Okay, I agree that your remarks apply well to most guys and gals. And I agree that the stereotypes were driven by men. And I agree that social "norms" amount to brainwashing for most. As for being a drooling perv, some guys like enhancements to body parts and some don't. My personal preference is for unenhanced bodies. As for the butt-ugly physicist, you have a point, because butt-ugly is, well, butt-ugly. Lots of guys are butt-ugly, too, and get the same lack of interest.

Caution

Because you think she's out of your league and you'll be shot down.

But if you sit two women - one a nuclear physicist with a sparkling personality but uglier than homemade sin; the other a vapid self-absorbed supermodel - next to each other at the bar, I guarantee you the supermodel will be knee deep in men and the physicist will not.

No I have just never really 'gone after' women. Most of my few relationships have resulted from friendships that developed. And the majority of those actually approached me. I am no model or anything. Just the way it has worked out for me.

Make up is just something I end up knocking off the shelf into the toilet bowl while trying to get to one of the few items I own in the bathroom. :whistle:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Same. I feel comfortable going out in public without makeup too. Err...except for mascara...my eye lashes are blonde. I look funny without eyelashes...mascara is a MUST.

*I always wear mascara

Freak!

Somebody get the torches!

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Make up is just something I end up knocking off the shelf into the toilet bowl while trying to get to one of the few items I own in the bathroom. :whistle:

This is why it's imperative that we keep not only the seat but the lid DOWN.

:razz:

MMM_donuts

Who doesn't want to be a combination of intelligent, attractive, confident, stable, and financially secure enough to be comfortable? Doesn't everyone try to find a way to balance all of these things out in their own lives?

It sounds like your concern is not that women wear makeup but that something in our society or their lives has caused them (us?) to lack the self-confidence to be ok in their own skin.

Is it the models we use in the magazines?
Is it the stereotype that men prefer younger women? A woman can be just about anything........but younger again.
Is it the stereotype that women without makeup are "homely" or lesbians.
Is it the opinion that wrinkles are ugly or mean that a woman has not been smart about her skincare because she cared too much about her appearance?

I know, for me personally, I'm struggling with my face and body because it is showing signs of aging but I truly do not feel like the age it is depicting. I still feel like I'm 25. I feel smarter and more confident, healthier than I've ever been, yet I look in the mirror and I kinda look like someone's mother. I kinda am starting to look (gasp!!) like my mother. And I don't look at her as sexy and carefree like I want my husband to always see me, I look at her like she's a mother - someone who's used her uterus and probably walks around reminding everyone to wash their hands. :faint: Sorry, everyone, but that's not something you seen in depictions of men's fantasies.

More importantly, I work with a bunch of men and I've heard them talk about childbirth. They didn't talk about how amazing it was. They talked about stretched out vaginas. And I've heard them talk about about "weathered women" . I've heard them talk about "botox face". I've heard them talk about young, beautiful women. This isn't something I'm getting just from society, I'm getting it because I'm surrounded by men that I respect and I've heard their opinions.

Do I think they'd leave their wives for Kate Upton? No. But do I think they secretly wish their wives looked like her and everything she represents? Yes.

I don't think that's horrible. I think it's normal and I think think that it's ok if a woman wants to try to better her appearance a little bit. Or a lot. And if you think she's beautiful with AND without makeup - tell her (but not in a creepy weird stalker way).

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Yep, that would be men.

:high5:

I wear makeup. Not a ton. I like it and I wear it for me, because I've always liked how I look *with it in. *Someone* tells me I don't need it, and although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I be holdin' that mirror in the mornin' so I put it on! :biggrin: