Jobs for someone without a college degree

Beta84

They're out to get us
First thing you have to verify is how to spell Dyncorp.

Then you might have your friend look into opportunities with the pencil pushing money management company that is buying them out.
dang who is buying them out now?

I've got a few friends that were picked up by contractors with ZERO DoD experience. All the positions were more than administrative. Want their phone numbers so you can ask how they did it?
well they can post to help the guy out. i wasn't referring to specifically DoD experience or saying that they'd be admin. but if you have no experience with what you're trying to do (which doesn't have to be DoD, there are other types of applicable experience) I don't see how you can anything above to bottom level job. Whether it's a tech, engineer, or whatever else, how can you jump to a higher level than people more qualified with no degree or experience?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
how can you jump to a higher level than people more qualified with no degree or experience?

There will always be someone more qualified than you. Some employers choose candidates based on their schooling, others for their background/history and others just sit and chat over a beer and if they like you, you get the job. :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Strange that someone would name their company after the beast that guards the gates of hell to prevent anyone from escaping

Disco Stu

Shut Up Little Man!!!!
Wait a sec, I never said he had no experience! I brought up his car work b/c he has a lot of mechanical experience. This is why I was shooting for DynaCorp. I heard that you can start out shadowing someone, learning the trade. You would do minor BS like changing the oil, greasing, washing, etc., while being trained on the job. That is kinda the thing I am looking for. I dunno if it exists or not. Anyone here from DynaCorp that can verify this?

Sounds like Jiffy Lube to me :dye:

Tell your friend the Community College has some good training and degree programs to get started in a career.

mgdbaa

if someone can walk in with no degree and no experience and get a job over qualified people for more than $15 an hour then I'm sad for the managers who are stupid and picking those people over the qualified ones who are job hunting that have at least minimal experience.
Well I have tried for years to get a decent job. I have all of this experience however I keep getting the same response. I have the knowledge but I need a degree. School is to expensive. I am always hearing, well you make to much money for financial aid. I am 36 years old just flyng by and working where ever I can to keep the bills paid. I mean really, 30K is not alot of money when IRS takes more than half of that to pay for lazy people to sit on their azz's. I tried paying out of pocket for college but I ran out so working for low pay is all I can do now.

xobxdoc

Have you tried Constellation? You don't need a degree there. You have to pass the POSS test to get into Operations but the pay is good.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Saw an article last week on Yahoo News on careers without degrees. Said the average salary of a UPS driver was $76k. :otter:

SG_Player1974

There will always be someone more qualified than you. Some employers choose candidates based on their schooling, others for their background/history and others just sit and chat over a beer and if they like you, you get the job. :shrug:

You nailed it right there! This is exactly how those non-experienced airplane washers get the jobs. I have seen first-hand the people that wash those planes and let me tell you.... They are not the brightest light bulbs in the box. You gotta know someone that knows someone. ALL of the guys I talked to on the wash crews said that is how they got in.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You nailed it right there! This is exactly how those non-experienced airplane washers get the jobs. I have seen first-hand the people that wash those planes and let me tell you.... They are not the brightest light bulbs in the box. You gotta know someone that knows someone. ALL of the guys I talked to on the wash crews said that is how they got in.

Well, since the guy posting is new to the area, and the guy he's trying to find a job for doesn't live in the area or know anything about Dyncorp, this isn't really looking like a "it's not what you know, it's who you know" scenario.