Jon Stewart Rips the Senate on Gun Control

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Thank God all the Federal gun control legislation is now dead and gone...just like we told you it would eventually be.

And we still own lots of them..and you still own none.

Life is good. :buddies:

I hope you don't really believe this. As soon as people start believing this they'll sneak it through on a Wednesday night at 3:00am while everyone's attention is elsewhere.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I hope you don't really believe this. As soon as people start believing this they'll sneak it through on a Wednesday night at 3:00am while everyone's attention is elsewhere.

Gun control legislation is highly toxic for many congress critters and they wish it would never rear its head ever. Enough of them to prevent legislation from hitting the floor for now.

That said, there is always the possibility that another "event" like Newton could trigger another round of knee jerking.

PsyOps

Pixelated
So you are afraid of the truth.

Massachusetts has the 3rd most strict gun laws in the country. Boston bombers armed to the hilt with firearms (allegedly automatic weapons; which are banned EVERYWHERE in this country), grenades, and other explosives.

These guys apparently weren't even American citizens. How did they get these weapons in a place that has such strict gun laws? How will these new laws prevent it? Will you and ToJo please answer those questions?

People that exercise their born and constitutionally protected rights are nuts. People that aim to restrict those rights are considered normal. The backwards logic in this country just astounds me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That said, there is always the possibility that another "event" like Newton could trigger another round of knee jerking.

Which is why folks who intend to uphold and defend the constitution need to be on the counter attack NOW;

"The next Sandy Hook, the next Tucson, will not be because we failed to add yet another layer or two of meaningless regulations to the right to keep and bear arms. It will be because this president, once again, has chosen politics over practical policy. We know, fact certain, even his proponents admit this is editorial after editorial, that what he has proposed, what he wants would not, can not and will not affect to the good, even a little bit, the next gun massacre. What WILL work, more good guys with guns who at least may be at the right place at the right time to stop a madman, and comprehensive review of, and the courage to, face our mental health and prescription drug problems are not even on his radar screen. Ask yourself why is the president of the United States of America interested in policy that would not have prevented ANY of these horrible massacres and is totally disinterested in practical, common sense steps that very well may stop or even prevent the next one. Ask yourself why. Ask him why. The latest tragedy is, yet again, this president wasting the opportunity to do good for the American people."

How hard is that? :shrug:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Had to laugh yesterday thinking of the heart attacks all the Libs had when Stewart ripped in to CNN for its dreadful reporting.

Incidentally for those progressives (BigBlue, tommyjo, etc) that think the Daily Show is an actual news show, its not, its satire. Also Jon Stewart is a comedian and sometimes actor. Nothing said or done on that show has any actual consequence in the real world. Its for entertainment only. :coffee:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Massachusetts has the 3rd most strict gun laws in the country. Boston bombers armed to the hilt with firearms (allegedly automatic weapons; which are banned EVERYWHERE in this country), grenades, and other explosives.

These guys apparently weren't even American citizens. How did they get these weapons in a place that has such strict gun laws? How will these new laws prevent it? Will you and ToJo please answer those questions?

People that exercise their born and constitutionally protected rights are nuts. People that aim to restrict those rights are considered normal. The backwards logic in this country just astounds me.

ANd now the people of Massachusetts, where our original revolution started, where armed citizens stood against a tyrannical goernment are now told to cower in their homes..

THE Terrorists are coming, THE terrorists are coming.. GO HIDE!!

But instead of a call to arms, it's.. Cower in place, and try to keep the whimpering to a minimum..

The GOVERNMENT will save you!!

SamSpade

Also Jon Stewart is a comedian and sometimes actor. Nothing said or done on that show has any actual consequence in the real world. Its for entertainment only. :coffee:

I similarly don't pay too much attention to Dennis Miller, either, for the same reason. He's in it for laughs. Sure, it's partisan, he's poking at political issues, but when it comes down to it, he's not going to engage in serious debate on the matter.

Ditto for Maher and Franken and Colbert - I don't respect the political opinions of anyone who can just step back when caught making stuff up and say "hey, I'm just telling jokes here". Fine. Don't be surprised if we don't take you seriously.

What does amuse me is that people take THEM seriously. You might as well get your political commentary from SNL.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Possibility? It's not if, it's when. If this round had passed, there would still be another shooting. Then the grabbers would not say "oops, looks like our plan failed." They'd say "our plan was a good start, but we still need more to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. For the children."

Look at Tommy and the stimulus: "It did work! It just wasn't big enough!"

Toxick

Splat
I'd be quite happy for you to explain what any of that meant. What was John saying?

Same thing he always says:

Anyone who disagrees with ME, clearly does not understand the issue, or is just plain ol' stoopit, on account'a if you had brains you'd agree with ME!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I similarly don't pay too much attention to Dennis Miller, either, for the same reason. He's in it for laughs. Sure, it's partisan, he's poking at political issues, but when it comes down to it, he's not going to engage in serious debate on the matter.

Ditto for Maher and Franken and Colbert - I don't respect the political opinions of anyone who can just step back when caught making stuff up and say "hey, I'm just telling jokes here". Fine. Don't be surprised if we don't take you seriously.

What does amuse me is that people take THEM seriously. You might as well get your political commentary from SNL.

Colbert got his fame as a fake conservative reporter on The Daily Show. People enjoyed his "over the top" antics so much he got his own satire The Colbert Report. They generally air back to back for a full spectrum of ridiculousness.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Colbert got his fame as a fake conservative reporter on The Daily Show. People enjoyed his "over the top" antics so much he got his own satire The Colbert Report. They generally air back to back for a full spectrum of ridiculousness.

Problem is, an awful lot of folks view it as real news.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Problem is, an awful lot of folks view it as real news.

That's a GREAT point right there in our ongoing battle over media culpability in terms of 'making' the GOP act like a bunch of idiots. The msm itself has huge issues in terms of credibility as evidenced by what you say right there.

Again, this is on the GOP; they can't best folks in the msm that are ridiculed every night on comedy TV?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Same thing he always says:

Anyone who disagrees with ME, clearly does not understand the issue, or is just plain ol' stoopit, on account'a if you had brains you'd agree with ME!

See, Stewart is a believer; he wants things to be better. That is both his Achilles heal in terms of besting him in argument AND the path to appealing to his better instincts; the common goal of wanting things to be better.

In 2 minutes, I'd have him WANTING good guys with guns in schools AND supporting open discussion of mental health issues.

BigBlue

That's a GREAT point right there in our ongoing battle over media culpability in terms of 'making' the GOP act like a bunch of idiots. The msm itself has huge issues in terms of credibility as evidenced by what you say right there.

Again, this is on the GOP; they can't best folks in the msm that are ridiculed every night on comedy TV?

No one is "'making' the GOP act like a bunch of idiots" they do that all on there own .Stewart just use's common sense ,some of the things like gun control and the NRA Moron in the link I posted can't be made up, he tells the truth and even more he shows people the truth

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No one is "'making' the GOP act like a bunch of idiots" they do that all on there own . h

I don't suppose you noted my use of ' ' around the word 'make'? Or, for that matter, I don't suppose you've read any one of my 6,843 posts excoriating the GOP for their lameness in making their arguments? Or, for that matter, do you pay any attention AT ALL to the points I make because if you don't, I will gladly stop responding to you if you don't even have the most basic interest in what I have to say.

BigBlue

See, Stewart is a believer; he wants things to be better. That is both his Achilles heal in terms of besting him in argument AND the path to appealing to his better instincts; the common goal of wanting things to be better.

In 2 minutes, I'd have him WANTING good guys with guns in schools AND supporting open discussion of mental health issues.

You can't carry his jock ,you think way higher of yourself than others do. Like always he makes people the right wing nuts look like the fools they really are, he stands toe to toe with all of them and comes out the victor!!!

None of you have the balls to watch this whole thing.

Jon Stewart Crushes Bill O'Reilly In Debate - YouTube