Jurassic Park: Dominion

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're going to see it today! :yahoo:

I was meh about the Top Gun movie, but am really excited to see the dinosaurs.

dinosaur.jpg

OccamsRazor

Hope you enjoy it and every person is different in their movie-going experience but, I have only heard bad reviews for it.

SamSpade

We're going to see it today! :yahoo:

I was meh about the Top Gun movie, but am really excited to see the dinosaurs.

View attachment 164628
I'm the opposite - I've had it up to here, really, with the dinosaurs, but I couldn't wait for the Top Gun movie.
STILL haven't seen the Dr. Strange movie and no one I know is aching to see it.
And my wife DOES want to see Jurassic World but I think some of it might be to see Chris Pratt.

Granted, it does have a redhead - Bryce Dallas Howard - but - she just doesn't do it for me any more.
I dunno - maybe just too much makeup?

I understand - I've HEARD - that this movie's premise is, dinosaurs are now amok, running everywhere, and mankind is near extinction.
I hope I got that wrong, because it seems a huge jump from "Fallen Kingdom" - a few dinosaurs rescued from a volcanic eruption - to world domination.

I dunno - but pretty sure wife and I will see it soon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Granted, it does have a redhead - Bryce Dallas Howard - but - she just doesn't do it for me any more.

She's about as sexy as the urinal cake at a biker bar. I can't stop seeing her as Hilly Holbrook, and her dad's TDS rantings don't help. (Why, Opie? That is not how Andy raised you.)

But I can ignore her because.....dinosaurs! :cartwheel And super cool special effects! There may be a plot in there somewhere, too, but if not it's okay. I read books for that.

SamSpade

"Life will find a way..."
To survive and proliferate? Yeah, get that. Spread throughout the globe without the combined might of the world's firepower to wipe them out?
Hard to believe. There's just no way tens, hundreds of thousands of especially LARGE dinosaurs can grow quickly enough to cover the earth.

It's just like a lot of alien invasion stories - unless the aliens have incredible firepower, attack very quickly and have really superior technology and are somehow impervious to bullets, rockets, fire and missiles - a lot of alien movies just don't make sense, especially if the aliens themselves appear to be mostly just monsters.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
To survive and proliferate? Yeah, get that. Spread throughout the globe without the combined might of the world's firepower to wipe them out?
Hard to believe. There's just no way tens, hundreds of thousands of especially LARGE dinosaurs can grow quickly enough to cover the earth.

It's just like a lot of alien invasion stories - unless the aliens have incredible firepower, attack very quickly and have really superior technology and are somehow impervious to bullets, rockets, fire and missiles - a lot of alien movies just don't make sense, especially if the aliens themselves appear to be mostly just monsters.
You gotta just relax, turn off the reasoning centers, suspend reality and enjoy.

Kinda like Democrats do every day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You gotta just relax, turn off the reasoning centers, suspend reality and enjoy.

Exactly. I watch movies with one thought in mind: tell me a story and make it good.

Last night we watched "The Guilty" with Jake Gillawhatever - what a stinker that was. Between wanting to smack every single sobbing hysterical character and the way it draaaaaaaaaaaged on and never got to any point......yikes.

SamSpade

It's an almost direct quote from the 1st movie from Jeff Goldblum.

Oh I know. It kinda annoyed me, because in a very rare occurrence, I'd read the book first.
Crichton has this - habit - of inserting a chapter in every novle that might as well be named "the reason I wrote this whole damned book".
In the first book, the "moral" is pretty obvious - a message to science that goes, just cause you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. That scientists have a moral authority to consider what their new ideas visit upon the world.

Every one ELSE who saw the movie walked away with "life will find a way".

SamSpade

Kinda like Democrats do every day.
Yeah, and usually I do that. Some shows and movies are like - ok, vampires taking over a town? Maybe. The WORLD? I don't think so.
I like "The Walking Dead" but there are times when the walker is nothing but bones and I'm thinking dammit, it's one thing if a virus animates the dead, but the physics says you need SOMETHING to make those bones move. Like a working tendon.

Sometimes when I'm watching a zombie flick, there's a voice inside me saying - they've been rotting for years. They're all as flammable as gasoline by now. Sure, you can take 'em out with a KNIFE to the head - but napalm works so much better. Why don't they just use flamethrowers?

And then the voice says - Sam - ain't no such thing as zombies. OR vampires. Oh yeah,

And you're right, I do enjoy movies but again - don't you ask yourself questions like - if you see Bruce Lee or The Bride/Beatrix Kiddo make mincemeat out of about fifty guys - what aren't YOU running like hell? When you see the Boss choke the life out of his lieutenant for failing him - why do YOU stick around? At least in Top Gun - the other bogies left. In Iron Man 3, one of the guys leaves saying, these guys are too weird. Normal bad guys run when it's clear they're going to die.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sometimes when I'm watching a zombie flick, there's a voice inside me saying - they've been rotting for years. They're all as flammable as gasoline by now. Sure, you can take 'em out with a KNIFE to the head - but napalm works so much better. Why don't they just use flamethrowers?

And then the voice says - Sam - ain't no such thing as zombies. OR vampires. Oh yeah,

Well don't see Jurassic Park, then, because you'll have questions. :lol:

There's a scene where Claire easily outruns the dinosaurs with her own legs for quite a stretch, but Owen has trouble staying ahead of them on a motorcycle. A few times I had to remind myself that I wasn't there for plot or realism, I was there for dinosaurs and pure fun. In fact I'm not really sure what the plot was, and there may not have really been one.

Lots of good dino fights, though, and jump out of your seat scares. Laura Dern is still an ass kicker. :yay: My new favorite character is the woman pilot - that actress needs to be in more movies. But there's nothing like the original Jurassic Park - that was a Grade A classic.

PeoplesElbow

I'm the opposite - I've had it up to here, really, with the dinosaurs, but I couldn't wait for the Top Gun movie.
STILL haven't seen the Dr. Strange movie and no one I know is aching to see it.
And my wife DOES want to see Jurassic World but I think some of it might be to see Chris Pratt.

I understand - I've HEARD - that this movie's premise is, dinosaurs are now amok, running everywhere, and mankind is near extinction.
I hope I got that wrong, because it seems a huge jump from "Fallen Kingdom" - a few dinosaurs rescued from a volcanic eruption - to world domination.

I dunno - but pretty sure wife and I will see it soon.
Even though I had a small hand in Top Gun I'd much rather watch the dinosaurs.

SamSpade

Even though I had a small hand in Top Gun I'd much rather watch the dinosaurs.
We are planning to see it this weekend.

When I think about it - I couldn't wait to see the original Jurassic Park in theaters. And as excitement goes, it was and is extraordinary.
Terrifying - those kids in the car, when the T. Rex escapes - zooming away in the Jeep where the mirror reminds you "Objects are CLOSER than they appear". The kitchen scene. The ending showdown.

But there's been tons of movies since then they have even marginally realistic looking dinosaurs. Heck, today I was flipping channels and there was a T. Rex on "Land of the Lost" (the movie). Dinosaurs, just by themselves, aren't scary enough - there must be more than that.

Since I've been married - EVERY dinosaur movie I have seen has been at the urging of my wife. They bore me. Ditto vampire movies. She wants to see them, and I go (draw the line at those vapid Twilight crap - thank God I never saw one minute of them).

SamSpade

Well we saw it. Theater was sparsely populated but we saw it in 3D. Action, chases and effects were awesome and it was cool to see O’Neil, Dern and Goldblum all in the same movie again. It also ends with a kind of final closure indicating there’s probably no more movies coming.

Overall, pretty good but while it’s visually entertaining, the story is kind of thin and most of the characters were kind of flat. Example - why was Goldblum even IN the movie? He wasn’t clever or funny and his part could have been any character - plus he clearly despised the company he was working for. Heck it totally goes against his established character.

Anyway we liked it and my youngest, who sat next to me, leaped out of her skin a few times when I grabbed her at especially tense moments.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
why was Goldblum even IN the movie?

Nostalgia for people like you and me so we'll go see it.

It also ends with a kind of final closure indicating there’s probably no more movies coming.

From your mouth to God's ear. I'm tired of these franchises - they go on WAY longer than they should. Talking to you, Star Wars.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I read and shared the book "Where the Crawdads Sing" and though it is not my usual reading choice (prefer murder mysteries and lawyer books), I LOVED it as did the friend I shared it with.
Not sure when the movie comes out but we plan to see it together.

SamSpade

Nostalgia for people like you and me so we'll go see it.

From your mouth to God's ear. I'm tired of these franchises - they go on WAY longer than they should. Talking to you, Star Wars.

The one thing about Star Wars was - it was announced in the mid 80's that there were plans for six more movies - one prequel trilogy, and one followup trilogy. THAT much was not a secret for close to twenty years.

Unfortunately, it resulted in six somewhat forgettable films. Unless you're a serious die-hard fan, I bet I can show a clip from either trilogy, and you won't know which one it's from. Whereas, the original three - it won't happen.

What IS unavoidable - is for one, Star Wars is now part of our culture. "The Force", the sound of Darth Vader's breathing, Death Star, Yoda's weird way of speaking - you probably can't go a month watching TV without seeing a reference, however oblique. (For example, on the re-booted Magnum, P.I., Magnum's ringtone for Higgins is the Darth Vader theme.)

The other is, it spawned an extremely strong fanbase. Within months of the original movie, there were paperback stories of Luke and Leia and Darth out there, along with a "canon" and timeline to follow, for consistency. It's hard to change the fact that kids still want Darth and Boba Fett action figures, even though the original movie was 1977, and Boba Fett wasn't even NAMED in "Empire". Ancient history to them. By comparison, it would be like ME playing with toys commemorating Charlie Chaplin. I have a nephew in law who yearly dresses in his Stormtrooper gear (and it's probably more authentic than the ones on the screen, because he's a lawyer, makes way more money than I do, and can easily afford it). I've been on both Disney Star Wars rides (and there's a new one). Fact is, people just love it. I can't begin to count how many TV shows have come about.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The one thing about Star Wars was - it was announced in the mid 80's that there were plans for six more movies - one prequel trilogy, and one followup trilogy. THAT much was not a secret for close to twenty years.

Unfortunately, it resulted in six somewhat forgettable films. Unless you're a serious die-hard fan, I bet I can show a clip from either trilogy, and you won't know which one it's from. Whereas, the original three - it won't happen.

What IS unavoidable - is for one, Star Wars is now part of our culture. "The Force", the sound of Darth Vader's breathing, Death Star, Yoda's weird way of speaking - you probably can't go a month watching TV without seeing a reference, however oblique. (For example, on the re-booted Magnum, P.I., Magnum's ringtone for Higgins is the Darth Vader theme.)

The other is, it spawned an extremely strong fanbase. Within months of the original movie, there were paperback stories of Luke and Leia and Darth out there, along with a "canon" and timeline to follow, for consistency. It's hard to change the fact that kids still want Darth and Boba Fett action figures, even though the original movie was 1977, and Boba Fett wasn't even NAMED in "Empire". Ancient history to them. By comparison, it would be like ME playing with toys commemorating Charlie Chaplin. I have a nephew in law who yearly dresses in his Stormtrooper gear (and it's probably more authentic than the ones on the screen, because he's a lawyer, makes way more money than I do, and can easily afford it). I've been on both Disney Star Wars rides (and there's a new one). Fact is, people just love it. I can't begin to count how many TV shows have come about.

They definitely got their money's worth out of that franchise - milked it for all it was worth.
Boba Fett

Boba Fett is one of those monkey-see-monkey-do things where some media person told us rabble that we should love this obscure character that didn't have a name OR a story line, so we did. Just shows to go ya.....