Kayaking

greenbag13 said:
Anyone tried the new Great Mills Canoe and Kayak Launch on rt 5?
Funny you should mention it. I just rode by there to have a look. I may give it a try this weekend if I get a chance. Its between Great Mills rd and Indian Bridge on the Northbound side. & miles to take out at St Marys City.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
thakidistight said:
If by "buy", you mean come take for free, then absolutley:lol:

What kinda kayak is it?
Actually it's a Poke Boat. Have the spray skirt, floatation bags, adjustable foot rests and a paddle.
Have the 28lb kevlar version.

bohman

I've been trying very hard to make time to get there. I checked it out; it looked great but I'm not used to canoeing (sp?) without getting wet and dirty just from launching. :lmao: I'm sure I can get used to it. I'm hoping to make a trip from there to the college at some point.

Anybody try it yet? How much clearance is there under the Rt. 5 bridge? Looks like there should be plenty, but I didn't really investigate. I'd prefer not to have to duck or lay down in the canoe in order to go under.

bohman said:
I've been trying very hard to make time to get there. I checked it out; it looked great but I'm not used to canoeing (sp?) without getting wet and dirty just from launching. :lmao: I'm sure I can get used to it. I'm hoping to make a trip from there to the college at some point.

Anybody try it yet? How much clearance is there under the Rt. 5 bridge? Looks like there should be plenty, but I didn't really investigate. I'd prefer not to have to duck or lay down in the canoe in order to go under.
Not yet. Maybe this weekend. Don't know about the clearance. Any idea how much flat/still water you'd be looking at?

bohman

desertrat said:
Not yet. Maybe this weekend. Don't know about the clearance. Any idea how much flat/still water you'd be looking at?

The announcement said that it is 7 miles from there to the college; on the map it looks like a few miles of narrow creek that will move pretty fast, then a few miles of open river. About half and half. If you time your trip with an outgoing tide, you should still get a little assist even in open river.

The last time I looked at it, I actually had the boat with me and planned on getting in, but saw the current was moving way too fast to get back upstream. Unless there's a drought, it looks like you really need to leave a vehicle somewhere downstream first, or plan to have a friend pick you up.

bohman said:
The announcement said that it is 7 miles from there to the college; on the map it looks like a few miles of narrow creek that will move pretty fast, then a few miles of open river. About half and half. If you time your trip with an outgoing tide, you should still get a little assist even in open river.

The last time I looked at it, I actually had the boat with me and planned on getting in, but saw the current was moving way too fast to get back upstream. Unless there's a drought, it looks like you really need to leave a vehicle somewhere downstream first, or plan to have a friend pick you up.
I'm trying to get it together for this weekend. Work may interfere, but if you're interested... There may be another canoe also.

bohman

desertrat said:
I'm trying to get it together for this weekend. Work may interfere, but if you're interested... There may be another canoe also.

I wish. My next two weekends are already committed, and Murphy's law dictates that the weather will be crap by the time I get a chance to make that trip. Not to mention that I have another boat that competes for attention vs. the canoe.

greenbag13

Make the voices stop!!!!!
A couple of us from work are planning on going Monday morning, with the rain this evening, water should be up.

Last edited:

bohman

I have a report for everybody! Finally got to make the trip on Friday morning. Rained like crazy while we loaded up gear and launched, but cleared up almost immediately afterwards and it turned out to be a really pleasant trip. There's plenty of vertical clearance under the rt.5 bridge; the water was bit shallow in that area but posed no real problems. Kayaks will have no problem at all; a big metal canoe required a bit of work to maneuver through.

Only the first mile or so had shallow water and fallen trees, after that it opened up into a broader creek with flat water for the next couple miles. Much less current flow than I expected, but understandable with the tide coming in. Then a couple of miles of real open water, as it becomes a tidal river just above Tippety witchity (sp?) island. It's incredibly scenic in that area; bring a camera.

A word of advice for the open river portion: try to pick a day with no wind, or wind out of the north. Otherwise you'll have quite a distance of paddling with the wind in your face.

Question: Where is everybody planning on getting out at the end of the trip? We used the college; as alumni we have some access to the boathouse. Is everybody else planning on using Historic St. Mary's city? Just pull out next to the Dove? Where do you park? We aren't sure Parks & Rec planned very well when they put in this launch. (even though I'm happy that it's there)

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I'm not ever going in a canoe again probably. Two times over has done me in for life. Doesn't help when some certain people who are with you are finding it incredibly entertaining.

bohman said:
I have a report for everybody! Finally got to make the trip on Friday morning. Rained like crazy while we loaded up gear and launched, but cleared up almost immediately afterwards and it turned out to be a really pleasant trip. There's plenty of vertical clearance under the rt.5 bridge; the water was bit shallow in that area but posed no real problems. Kayaks will have no problem at all; a big metal canoe required a bit of work to maneuver through.

Only the first mile or so had shallow water and fallen trees, after that it opened up into a broader creek with flat water for the next couple miles. Much less current flow than I expected, but understandable with the tide coming in. Then a couple of miles of real open water, as it becomes a tidal river just above Tippety witchity (sp?) island. It's incredibly scenic in that area; bring a camera.

A word of advice for the open river portion: try to pick a day with no wind, or wind out of the north. Otherwise you'll have quite a distance of paddling with the wind in your face.

Question: Where is everybody planning on getting out at the end of the trip? We used the college; as alumni we have some access to the boathouse. Is everybody else planning on using Historic St. Mary's city? Just pull out next to the Dove? Where do you park? We aren't sure Parks & Rec planned very well when they put in this launch. (even though I'm happy that it's there)
Pull out if I get someone to pick me up will be right at the little bridge. If I have to park I guess by the Dove. Thanks for the report. Is the Island inhabited still?