kids in diapers in public

Today in two different grocery stores I saw two different kids wearing diapers but no shorts or pants over their diaper. Am I the only one who thinks this is icky?? If's its a very young baby in a baby carrier I can almost understand - but I think after a point people should cover those diapers up! I couldn't help but notice that one of the kids in the diaper, was snacking on a cold hot dog that the parent had opened a package up for him. I kinda thought that was in poor taste too - I wouldn't want to use that cart after the kid with hot dog juice on his hands put his hands all over the cart handle etc.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
:barf: Ick - especially the hotdog thing. Heck, the parent should at least rinse the sucker off first!! People are ghetto, though. I would never ever have taken Mackenzie out in just a diaper, no matter how young she was - but that's just me.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I can think of a number of reasons for a kid to be in diapers w/o pants. My son refused to wear pants for a while. Granted, if I had to go out, I held him down and forced pants on him, but it was a violent struggle and I wouldn't blame another parent for not going through that. I can also see it if the diaper leaked and messed up the kid's pants and the parent forgot to bring a spare and had to get the errands done. But as a rule kids need to be dressed.
As far as giving them food in the grocery store. That's nasty, rude and illegal if it hasn't been paid for. It that really what you want to teach your kids?

D

DaMadman

You people are two upity these days. While I agree that my kid was always (99%) dressed in pants or shorts, you gotta realize Southern Maryland is "in the country" kids are out playing in the yards and getting dirty and having fun like kids should be. They are not sitting in front of the freaking computer or the video game or the TV all clean and brain dead like a lot of "cityfied kids" these days.

As far as the hotdog thing #1 it is not illegal as long as the parent takes the opened pack of hotdogs to the counter and pays for it. #2 I do agree that a raw hotdog is not the best thing to give a kid that is still in diapers, My parents used to give me a box of animal cracker to eat while we grocery shopped and they always took the empty box to the register and paid for them, so no harm done really.

If you don't want to see little dirty kids in diapers in the grocery store then go somewhere closer to the city where people keep their bratty little Air Condition, spoiled brats clean, dressed and all prim and proper.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by DaMadman
If you don't want to see little dirty kids in diapers in the grocery store then go somewhere closer to the city where people keep their bratty little Air Condition, spoiled brats clean, dressed and all prim and proper.
Must have been his kid you spotted.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I don't think a baby should only be in a diaper either. I have the messiest 20 month old I've ever seen. I've taken him out in the summer in just his onsie but I don't care what he got on it it wouldn't come off till we got in the car at least. I don't do that often either. Usually only if it's later in the evening and we're going to the grocery store and I know he'll be asleep in the car when we get home. That way I can take him straight from the car and put him in bed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kids should be dressed when they're in public. And Madman, no offense, but we're talking about kids in diapers here. I highly doubt they're sitting in front of a computer or video game, or that they've been playing outside all day. Unless the diapered kid in question is 5 years old, and that's another topic.

It's no crime to keep your child clean and presentable in public. It's good practice for their future.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
Kids get nasty, parents clean them up. The thing is, they have to complete the "getting nasty" process before you clean them.

True - I was just talking about giving them hot dogs or something like that and them smearing it all over the grocery store. I don't mind a few cookie crumbs - I can brush them away - but hot dog juice fingerprints and trails all over the place make me :barf:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And one more thing: I don't see anything wrong with giving your young child a snack to keep them happy so you can grocery shop. Just keep a few Wet-Naps on hand and wipe the kid and the cart down when you're done. Simple.

Y

yornoc

I agree with yardsalequeen! I think it is repulsive. :barf: There is a time and place for everything.

Originally posted by DaMadman
You people are two upity these days. .

Too not two.

What's wrong with clean? You make it sound like a dirty word.

I didn't say it was illegal to eat a cold hotdog in a grocery store - I just thought it was gross, and I'm glad others agree.

I was not aware that I had a "cityfied kid". My 3 year old (a Calvert County native) enjoys playing on his own "freaking" computer and watching golf on tv. I hope I'm raising the next Bill Gates. I passed a big sign in St. Mary's county today that said I was in the Technology Corridor, it didn't say it was the "Rural Corridor".

Last edited:

Dymphna

I said it was illegal because years ago, people used to get arrested and charged with shoplifting for doing it. I think the stores gave up on doing that because there are too many uncouth people feeding their kids off the grocery store shelves, but in the end paying for it, the stores stopped fighting it.

As far as being "citified" I grew up on a farm in Charles County. My mother always made us get dressed when we went out in public and she always made sure she had makeup to go into the grocery store. I think the problem is that people in general, rural, citified or not, are getting lazy and have lost sight of some basic manners. (off topic pet peeve alert) This is why we tolerate telemarketers and other total strangers calling us by our first names, a privledge formally reserved for close friends.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by yardsalequeen
I passed a big sign in St. Mary's county today that said I was in the Technology Corridor, it didn't say it was the "Rural Corridor".
:offtopic: Those signs are a joke. I mean come on, one is outside a bar and another outside the massage parlor

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by cmcdanal
This is why we tolerate telemarketers and other total strangers calling us by our first names, a privledge formally reserved for close friends.

:biggrin: When they do that to me I ask them, "Excuse me do I know you?" when they answer no I then reply "Well, then my name to you is Mrs. L". That usually starts the conversation off on a good note!

Dymphna

Originally posted by tys_mommy
:biggrin: When they do that to me I ask them, "Excuse me do I know you?" when they answer no I then reply "Well, then my name to you is Mrs. L". That usually starts the conversation off on a good note!

I don't bother to tell them my last name, I just tell them not to use my first name. The worst thing is when they shorten my first name. Remember the episode on MASH when they meet Charles for the first time. They call him "Charlie" and he makes it very clear that its "Charles." That's how I am about my first name. Only the very closest and oldest of friends and family are allowed to shorten my name, not even my in-laws do that. The telemarketer or sales person who does better look out.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cmcdanal
I don't bpther to tell them my last name, I just tell them not to use my first name. The worst thing is when they shorten my first name. Remember the episode on MASH when they meet Charles for the first time. They call him "Charlie" and he makes it very clear that its "Charles." That's how I am about my first name. Only the very closest and oldest of friends and family are allowed to shorten my name, not even my in-laws do that. The telemarketer or sales person who does better look out.
So we should call you Charles?