Kids swimming alone

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Wow. I grew up in Upper Michigan across the street from Lake Michigan. I don't remember how old I was but I never remember my parents actually taking me to the beach. As soon as the training wheels were off my bike me and my pack of little friends were about living at the lake, unsupervised, all summer. I had to be home for supper and that was about the only rule. The 70s were a great time to grow up, before everybody got so paranoid.

I went to school up in Great Lakes during my Navy days, and all I know as hot as it was in July, Aug, I jumped into Lake Michigan and was walking across the water like Jesus! Damn that water was cold! :cds:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I went to school up in Great Lakes during my Navy days, and all I know as hot as it was in July, Aug, I jumped into Lake Michigan and was walking across the water like Jesus! Damn that water was cold! :cds:

Yep, blue lips and uncontrollable shivering were a few times a day experience. I remember swimming in that water when it was cold enough outside to wear a jacket. I think we all had an incredible tolerance for the cold being raised there.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Yep, blue lips and uncontrollable shivering were a few times a day experience. I remember swimming in that water when it was cold enough outside to wear a jacket. I think we all had an incredible tolerance for the cold being raised there.

Make great winter wives!!! :buddies:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
My boys are 13, 12, and 10. 99% of the other parents in the neighborhood allow their children to go swimming off the pier w/ out an adulst being present. I just dont think that is safe, and of course my kids are all saying we are being to strict. All three are excellent swimmers, it is I just dont trust and accident not to happen. Especially with that dark water.

I'm with you. :yay:

jedi2814

Times have changed .
I just hoped I'd be dry by the time I got home :lol:

Gotta agree with you there - our only rule was no swimming after dinner. We'd be in the water all day have to be back to the house by 5 for dinner, get showers after that and we were supposed to stay out of the water after that even though we were allowed to go back to the pier/beach. So, yeah, we were with the "get dry before you go home" crowd. Jumping off the pier, swimming all day from about 10 yrs. old, probably younger. And *shocker* we're all still around to talk about it.

...and to whoever posted about it - we knew exactly what was under the water, every inch, right down to where the rock/board covered in barnacles was so we could stay away from it. You knew where the sandbars were, where the muddy spot was, and where it was deepest. You lived in the water and you knew every square foot.

Wow - I miss summers at Kenwood!!!

Lilypad

Gotta agree with you there - our only rule was no swimming after dinner. We'd be in the water all day have to be back to the house by 5 for dinner, get showers after that and we were supposed to stay out of the water after that even though we were allowed to go back to the pier/beach. So, yeah, we were with the "get dry before you go home" crowd. Jumping off the pier, swimming all day from about 10 yrs. old, probably younger. And *shocker* we're all still around to talk about it.

...and to whoever posted about it - we knew exactly what was under the water, every inch, right down to where the rock/board covered in barnacles was so we could stay away from it. You knew where the sandbars were, where the muddy spot was, and where it was deepest. You lived in the water and you knew every square foot.

Thanks for your post-so many wonderful memories growing up on the waters edge! :yay::yay: