Kids swimming alone

lovinmaryland

My daughter is 12 and I still require a responsible adult to be around if I am not.

At least 16

My daughter is 13 and this is the first year I've dropped her off at the pool without me. She's not alone, she's with friends.

My boys are 13, 12, and 10. 99% of the other parents in the neighborhood allow their children to go swimming off the pier w/ out an adulst being present. I just dont think that is safe, and of course my kids are all saying we are being to strict. All three are excellent swimmers, it is I just dont trust and accident not to happen. Especially with that dark water.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My boys are 13, 12, and 10. 99% of the other parents in the neighborhood allow their children to go swimming off the pier w/ out an adulst being present.

That's something entirely different. I take my daughter to a pool. I WOULD NOT allow my child to swim in the river/creek/pond without an adult being present. :nono:

daisy

I swear I already posted on here, but I'm not seeing it...I'd say 16 at a private residence, 12ish at a public pool with a lifeguard on duty. I think it has less to do with age and more to do with what you're comfortable with as a parent though.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
That's something entirely different. I take my daughter to a pool. I WOULD NOT allow my child to swim in the river/creek/pond without an adult being present. :nono:
I agree with Chasey...

No life guard, moms going with you. I don't care how old and mature you are, when an emergency does happen all that goes out the window. Ever watched and adult react to a child drowning.

I have it was a life guard watching my son in a community pool, he was in the deep end got a leg crap and started drowning (grandma watching who can't swim) and life guard paying zero attention. All while I am walking into pick him up. So in my goes dress clothes and all to save boy child, while lifeguard never got out of his chair...

T

toppick08

My boys are 13, 12, and 10. 99% of the other parents in the neighborhood allow their children to go swimming off the pier w/ out an adulst being present. I just dont think that is safe, and of course my kids are all saying we are being to strict. All three are excellent swimmers, it is I just dont trust and accident not to happen. Especially with that dark water.

How's the crabbing ?......:howdy:

I was swimming by myself by 10, but I had been in lessons since I was 3, and my dad was a lifeguard and instilled the respect of the water in me. The beach I grew up on didn't have lifeguards, but all the parents watched out for all the kids. This was back in a time where if you did something wrong, the "network" made sure your parents knew about it! Couldn't get away with nuthin' !

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

Off a pier? NFW Especially with NO adults. Kids are idiots most of the time.

pumpkin0824

Swimming in dark water, I would say 15 or 16 is an okay age given that they are great swimmers and responsible enough. I was a lifeguard, pool operator, pool manager for about 10 years during the summer time and I cannot stand parents who let their 9, 10, 11, 12 year olds go to the pool unsupervised. Lifeguards are NOT babysitters. Kids get rowdy in the water and like to goof off and have fun and there is nothing wrong with that but if an accident does happen you will want someone to be there that can react calmly.

lovinmaryland

Ok so I am not the worst mom in the world then :lol: I dont have a problem if I am at work and they call me and I speak to a parent who is at the pier and says they will watch them, but they are not just allowed to go there and swim unsupervised... not happening.
I agree with Chasey...

No life guard, moms going with you. I don't care how old and mature you are, when an emergency does happen all that goes out the window. Ever watched and adult react to a child drowning.

I have it was a life guard watching my son in a community pool, he was in the deep end got a leg crap and started drowning (grandma watching who can't swim) and life guard paying zero attention. All while I am walking into pick him up. So in my goes dress clothes and all to save boy child, while lifeguard never got out of his chair...
Actually about 2 weekends ago 2 little boys almost drowned and myself and two other parents had to jump in to save them and the mother who had ran in fully clothed in jeans to try and save them. Apprently the tide was low when they swam out to the swim floats, but it rose and they couldnt get back to shore or swim in the deep water.
Times have changed .
I just hoped I'd be dry by the time I got home :lol:

Oh I have one on restriction for that very reason lol!!! It seems like I am the only parent in the nieghborhood who have a problem with this, and that sucks for my kids.

lovinmaryland

Off a pier? NFW Especially with NO adults. Kids are idiots most of the time.

It boggles my mind that people allow their kids to do this. One of the children my kids play with is 9 years old, he goes swimming whenever he wants. I think a lot of the parents use the pier as a baby sitter for their kids.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Oh I have one on restriction for that very reason lol!!! It seems like I am the only parent in the nieghborhood who have a problem with this, and that sucks for my kids.
Won't suck so much when someone drowns and it's not them. Just tell them wait till you have kids then you can do it. :killingme

poster

It boggles my mind that people allow their kids to do this. One of the children my kids play with is 9 years old, he goes swimming whenever he wants. I think a lot of the parents use the pier as a baby sitter for their kids.

Stick with your rules, we have an adult must be present rule also.
Have you talked to the other parents? Maybe their kids are "hoping to be dry" when they get home also.

By the way, who's pier are we talking here?