LaBron to Cleveland...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...internet rumor of the day; some screen name on another forum (dirt bikes, oddly enough) says he lives in Cleveland and plays in a mens rec B ball league with some of Jame's buddies and they say LaBron's kids are enrolled in Cleveland schools and his mom just got season tickets.

Book it!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Cleveland over South Beach? He must really be homesick. At least he's coming back home with a few championship rings.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Cleveland over South Beach? He must really be homesick. At least he's coming back home with a few championship rings.

It's about legacy at this point. With some titles under his belt, the GREAT challenge is the one he walked away from 4 years ago; the story book of the fight to bring a title to Cleveland.

...internet rumor of the day; some screen name on another forum (dirt bikes, oddly enough) says he lives in Cleveland and plays in a mens rec B ball league with some of Jame's buddies and they say LaBron's kids are enrolled in Cleveland schools and his mom just got season tickets.

Book it!

It seems pretty likely - not certain, but likely - after the trade to get rid of Jarrett Jack's (and a few others') salary. At least, I'd guess Cleveland thinks it has a fair chance of signing him.

Form LeBron's standpoint, I think the move makes sense. I'm curious how he and Irving will mesh offensively (if LeBron signs there), LeBron's never played with another offensive player that explosive and dangerous. Wade in his day was, of course, but by the time he and LeBron hooked up he was well off his best days.

So then where does Bosh go? Houston?

And Carmelo? I guess most think he's going back to New York. That kind of surprises me. I was thinking how cool it would be if he signed with Chicago, I think that would make the Bulls - if Rose returns near his former self, which is a big if - the team to beat in the east. Carmelo is exactly what that team needs, assuming his style didn't disrupt the chemistry and mindset there. Then again, as a hopeful Wizards fan, I suppose I should be happy if Carmelo returns to New York.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So then where does Bosh go? Houston?

And Carmelo? I guess most think he's going back to New York. That kind of surprises me. I was thinking how cool it would be if he signed with Chicago, I think that would make the Bulls - if Rose returns near his former self, which is a big if - the team to beat in the east. Carmelo is exactly what that team needs, assuming his style didn't disrupt the chemistry and mindset there. Then again, as a hopeful Wizards fan, I suppose I should be happy if Carmelo returns to New York.

Carmello goes to Chicago to make the East the Beast. Bosh goes to Argentina, in a fit of soccer fever, to play keeper.

Had they got passed Indy, they'd have matched up well with the Heat in the conference final.

That team made great progress over the course of the season and peaked at just the right time. Everything came together - role players had stepped up their games when injuries forced them to play more important roles, the young stars continued to improve and develop weaker aspects of their games, Gortat fit in great and executed the pick and roll beautifully which expanded the team's offensive options, their 3-point shooters were hot all year, the late season veteran signings over-delivered, and they finally got everyone healthy at the same time at the end of the year. Going into the playoffs I thought they'd make it to the conference finals and give Miami a bit of a scare, losing maybe 4-2.

The only piece that didn't come together was the rookie Porter, he was hurt early and got behind and then never could get enough playing time to develop into a contributor. I suppose that's the one potential major upside going into this season. But they really need to resign Ariza, I'm scared they won't be able to. He was a big piece of the winning recipe last year. He was solid all year, probably their best defender, and he gave them a third big time threat from long range. With him Beal and Webster there was always at least one, and usually two, outside threats on the court which made it difficult for opponents to contain Wall, Hilario, and Gortat. I don't know how they'll replace Ariza if he doesn't come back. And Booker turned into a solid role player over the course of the season, they need him back as well or else someone comparable to replace him.

But if they can resign Booker and Ariza, and Porter develops enough to contribute something meaningful, the Wizards should be among the best 2 or 3 teams in the conference. It's nice to have some excitement in Washington for basketball again. Oh, and Wall is the real deal - he does a lot of things very well now and his shooting has improved enough to make him scary to defend. As far as point guards go, I'd take Curry and Paul ahead of him right now (and perhaps Rose if he returns to form) and that's it. He's a good defender, a great passer, and the fastest guy in the league - and he isn't selfish except when his team needs him to take over. It took a while, but he's justified that number one selection.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh, and Wall is the real deal -

No, he's not. Everything you say about his skill set is true but, 'real deal' means you have that 'thing', that Magic/Bird/Jordan/Miller/Wade killer instinct. Wall, to me, was totally deer in the headlights against Indy at key moments. Not saying he can't get there but, those other guys, the real 'real deals', in my view, get there at the decisive moment and either close the deal or find that they need more help. Wall got there, had the help he needed but, I won't say choked, but, didn't close the deal. They, obviously, should have beaten Indy.

He just seemed kinda not all together at those moments where the true winners get SUPER focused.

:buddies:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The problem with basketball is that it is a team game. The stars get paid by how many points they put up each night. That defeats the team first mentality. 2 high point players on a team will have a difficult time sharing the spotlight. When it's all said and done, there is still only 1 ball on the court at any time. 2 players averaging in the low 20s in points a game won't be happy sharing and getting mid 10s per game but winning.

No, he's not. Everything you say about his skill set is true but, 'real deal' means you have that 'thing', that Magic/Bird/Jordan/Miller/Wade killer instinct. Wall, to me, was totally deer in the headlights against Indy at key moments. Not saying he can't get there but, those other guys, the real 'real deals', in my view, get there at the decisive moment and either close the deal or find that they need more help. Wall got there, had the help he needed but, I won't say choked, but, didn't close the deal. They, obviously, should have beaten Indy.

He just seemed kinda not all together at those moments where the true winners get SUPER focused.

As much as it's in our nature to forget the times when our legends didn't get the job done, those guys came up short sometimes as well. They didn't always deliver at crunch time, they also had their share of failures. We just tend to remember the times when they did step up and carry their teams to victory.

I'm coming from the perspective of having watched Wall and the Wizards all season long. Time and time again he stepped up at crunch time and willed that team to victory. Sometimes he came up short, yeah. But he also made some incredible plays that just left you shaking your head - wow, how'd he do that - and I'm talking about at crunch time. He went on crazy runs to get his team back into games when none of his teammates was able to step up. He took the pressure shot quite often, and quite often he knocked it down even after having been cold the rest of the game. He made one play - I think it was against San Antonio - to send a game into overtime which was (considering the circumstances and what was needed) among the best I recall ever seeing. And that was the third score he'd made in something like the last 10 seconds to get his team to overtime after everyone in the building assumed the game was over.

Yes, he didn't finish the job this year and he didn't impose his will in their last playoff series. But having watched him over the entire season, I'll put the ball in his hands when it matters and take my chances. I think he's going to come through more often than not. Jordan didn't get it done in the playoffs on his first try either. Miller never did. And, at any rate, both of them as well as the others you mentioned failed when it mattered most - even in the playoffs - from time to time.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As much as it's in our nature to forget the times when our legends didn't get the job done, those guys came up short sometimes as well. They didn't always deliver at crunch time, they also had their share of failures. We just tend to remember the times when they did step up and carry their teams to victory.

I'm coming from the perspective of having watched Wall and the Wizards all season long. Time and time again he stepped up at crunch time and willed that team to victory. Sometimes he came up short, yeah. But he also made some incredible plays that just left you shaking your head - wow, how'd he do that - and I'm talking about at crunch time. He went on crazy runs to get his team back into games when none of his teammates was able to step up. He took the pressure shot quite often, and quite often he knocked it down even after having been cold the rest of the game. He made one play - I think it was against San Antonio - to send a game into overtime which was (considering the circumstances and what was needed) among the best I recall ever seeing. And that was the third score he'd made in something like the last 10 seconds to get his team to overtime after everyone in the building assumed the game was over.

Yes, he didn't finish the job this year and he didn't impose his will in their last playoff series. But having watched him over the entire season, I'll put the ball in his hands when it matters and take my chances. I think he's going to come through more often than not. Jordan didn't get it done in the playoffs on his first try either. Miller never did. And, at any rate, both of them as well as the others you mentioned failed when it mattered most - even in the playoffs - from time to time.

Well, instead of quibbling, I'll bow out and hope you are right. It WAS fun watching them close out Chicago and make it to a second round series. :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The problem with basketball is that it is a team game. The stars get paid by how many points they put up each night. That defeats the team first mentality. 2 high point players on a team will have a difficult time sharing the spotlight. When it's all said and done, there is still only 1 ball on the court at any time. 2 players averaging in the low 20s in points a game won't be happy sharing and getting mid 10s per game but winning.

Yeah, but, then there are those guys who do whatever it takes, a steal, a block, a pass, a rebound, a block out. LaBron is the best player in the league, by far, but, I don't see him as being in that class and, having knocked him for leaving Cleveland, I give him huge credit for going back there. I just think it will be better him trying to bring a championship to Cleveland than winning a couple here, a couple there.

This is his chance to be in the top tier and he'll do it, if he does, by making a block or a steal or a rebound and not just scoring.

So the Wizards lost Ariza but they signed Pierce with their mid level exemption. It would have been nice if they'd been able to keep Ariza and then use their MLE to add an extra piece. Oh well. Ariza was important because they were too close to the cap to sign a comparable player from another team, they could only afford him because he was their own free agent. Anyway, their cap space is pretty much gone now so they're left trying to resign a few of their own (most importantly Booker I think) or, possibly but unlikely, some kind of sign and trade.

Hopefully Pierce will have a bit of a resurgence playing with the young stars in Washington. He doesn't need to be the Pierce of old, he just needs to fill the void left by Ariza's departure and the Wizards should be among the top 3 in the East - with Chicago and Cleveland I think.