LaBron to Cleveland...

I don't keep up with sports as a rule, but what you are saying is James has millions upon millions upon millions of dollars. Is he a nice guy that doesn't get in trouble, and not one that will squander it all? Is he the type that will share with his family, and charities? Just wondering. TIA

I'd be surprised if he isn't worth in excess of a hundred million dollars, I'd guess significantly more than that (perhaps many multiples of that). Samsung alone pays him $8 Billion a year (that's an exaggeration, just so we're clear).

As for the kind of person that he is, I obviously don't know him and you can't be sure about such things based just on what you glean from the media and his public comments. But he strikes me as a pretty bright guy and a decent enough fellow - conscientious, financially responsible, fairly charitable I'd guess. And for all the attention he draws, he's managed to keep his image relatively clean thus far - so not much (known) trouble to speak of.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
His minutes don't necessarily have to pick up much. With Lebron gone, he'll be the go to offensive option more often. Deng and Bosh and others will provide offensive as well, but any time you lose someone like Lebron... well, there's only one basketball and your offensive opportunities, if you have Wade's offensive skill set, have to increase as a result.

With the best player in the world gone, his minutes will HAVE to pick up. As it was, Miami had the luxury of being able to rest one super star or the other for good stretches. Now, with James gone, when Wade is on the bench...there is no James on the floor to pick up the slack.

In my view, come playoffs next year, Wade is spent if not already out with injuries.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
With the best player in the world gone, his minutes will HAVE to pick up. As it was, Miami had the luxury of being able to rest one super star or the other for good stretches. Now, with James gone, when Wade is on the bench...there is no James on the floor to pick up the slack.

In my view, come playoffs next year, Wade is spent if not already out with injuries.

Or maybe Wade's an uber-alpha male to his core and, his primacy returned and his feng shui unleashed, he'll experience a resurgence this year - his body will hold up and his game will soar to new heights.

That's one theory.

Beta

Smile!
Mike Miller is reportedly taking less money to sign with Cleveland. The potential on that roster is starting to be scary. Yes, much of it is young and we don't know how well it will develop. But there's scary good possibilities there. Kyrie is already a force and Lebron is of course the best player in the league, becoming one of the best ever I think. Then you have Waiters who is good and has significant upside, and Wiggins whose unproven at this level but has great upside, and Thompson who's also good with significant upside. And I'm not ready to pronounce Bennett as a Kwame Brown-esque bust just yet. He certainly disappointed last year, but there's still lot of potential there. Then there are some nice veteran pieces to help steady the team while all that young potential is trying to develop, like Verejao and Haywood and Miller.

All of the young pieces on that team may not develop into great players, but they don't need all of them to in order to be a scary team in a couple of years. If just two more out of Wiggins, Waiters, Thompson and Bennett live up to their potential, this team is going to be hard to beat over the next 5 or 6 years - assuming Lebron stays past his current contract.
Miller is an injury hazard. He's been healthy recently because he was used minimally. If he's expected to be used in a larger role, that could spell trouble. Kyrie -- I've never been a fan of his. He needs the ball in his hands. Playing without it, and then being expected to pass more when he has it, will be a HUGE change to his game that will take some time getting used to. They definitely have great potential -- that's what happens when you have all of those high draft picks. We'll see if they live up to it.

I don't keep up with sports as a rule, but what you are saying is James has millions upon millions upon millions of dollars. Is he a nice guy that doesn't get in trouble, and not one that will squander it all? Is he the type that will share with his family, and charities? Just wondering. TIA
He's a good family guy. You can tell he isn't the typical athlete, because of everything that just happened with him. He just went home because that's where his friends and family are. He looks after his own and doesn't waste all of his money.

I'd be surprised if he isn't worth in excess of a hundred million dollars, I'd guess significantly more than that (perhaps many multiples of that). Samsung alone pays him $8 Billion a year (that's an exaggeration, just so we're clear).

As for the kind of person that he is, I obviously don't know him and you can't be sure about such things based just on what you glean from the media and his public comments. But he strikes me as a pretty bright guy and a decent enough fellow - conscientious, financially responsible, fairly charitable I'd guess. And for all the attention he draws, he's managed to keep his image relatively clean thus far - so not much (known) trouble to speak of.
I heard he's worth half a billion, so $500M. Not bad since he still has a ways to go.

Wade's issue wasn't being tired. It's injured knees. It's not a matter of when he gets tired, it's just a matter of whether they get hurt again. It's possible he could get through the season, but not probable. They could still win easier games without him during the regular season. We'll see.

Lance Stephenson is reportedly signing with Charlotte.

Beta - I think I'd agree with you in wondering whether Indiana could be a better team without him. He may well have been more of detriment to team chemistry than he was worth. I think his psyche is such that he has to be the main man. And as good as he is, he isn't good enough to be the main man on most teams - certainly not on most good teams - not yet anyway. Even still, I think Indiana needs to add a new piece or two with Stephenson leaving.

Beta

Smile!
Lance Stephenson is reportedly signing with Charlotte.

Beta - I think I'd agree with you in wondering whether Indiana could be a better team without him. He may well have been more of detriment to team chemistry than he was worth. I think his psyche is such that he has to be the main man. And as good as he is, he isn't good enough to be the main man on most teams - certainly not on most good teams - not yet anyway. Even still, I think Indiana needs to add a new piece or two with Stephenson leaving.

Agreed, they need another starter. Considering they only had 5 scoring threats last year (the starters) and one just left, they need someone to step in. :lol:

The Wizards resigned Gooden and picked up Blair in a sign and trade with Dallas. They've got a good bit of depth in the front court now, if everyone stays healthy (a big if with Nene) I hope they don't have discontent over some people not getting the minutes they think they deserve. I wish they had another guard that could shoot the three as insurance in case Webster misses much time or doesn't return to his early season form from last year. All things considered though, I'm feeling pretty good about how things have come together for them. Not world beaters, but a solid team with some firepower in the starting lineup and some good depth.

Now we just need the season to start. Actually, the season is to long - we need the second half of the season to start.

Larry and Beta - Have you guys been following the NBA, and in particular the Wizards, this season? If so, any thoughts to share?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Larry and Beta - Have you guys been following the NBA, and in particular the Wizards, this season? If so, any thoughts to share?

Pleasantly surprised how good the Bullets are!!! I thought losing Ariza was going to be fatal but, shows what I know!!! What depth!!! What balance! T-E-A-M!!!

As for LaBron, I ripped him endlessly for leaving Cleveland and I give him all the credit I can for coming back to fight the fight.

I'm not watching regularly but, I am keeping much more aware than last season. :buddies:

Pleasantly surprised how good the Bullets are!!! I thought losing Ariza was going to be fatal but, shows what I know!!! What depth!!! What balance! T-E-A-M!!!

As for LaBron, I ripped him endlessly for leaving Cleveland and I give him all the credit I can for coming back to fight the fight.

I'm not watching regularly but, I am keeping much more aware than last season. :buddies:

Speaking of Ariza, the Wizards started their toughest stretch of the season tonight against Ariza's Rockets. This 5 game road trip against some of the best teams in the West will be a real test, it should give us a better idea of just how good this team is. Going in I was hoping they could go 3-2.

The Wizards' leaders stepped up to the challenge with some great individual performances and they got the win tonight. Beal and Wall handled the pressure and made all of their free throws down the stretch to seal the deal. This team has really come together and is playing solid ball - leading the league in assists, leading the league in 3PT%, second in the conference in scoring defense, second in the conference in FG% defense. They need to cut out a few careless turnovers and improve their free throw shooting to be an elite team, but there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about this team's future.

Rasual Butler and Kevin Seraphin in particular have been pleasant surprises. And John Wall... so much to be said for this guy. He's continued to step it up, particularly on defense. And on offense he forces the pace and gets his guys shots, then when it's needed he'll take over scoring. He might come out in the first half and have 4 points with 9 assists, and then when the team gets into a slump in the third quarter start driving to the basket and score 10 straight. He's become a real leader and, as dynamic as he can be, he's a legit point guard - not just a great athlete playing the position. He's more Chris Paul than Russell Westbrook, which earlier in his career I didn't expect him to be.

The Wizards play went into the toilet not long after I made that last post. I hope they can get it together before the start of the playoffs. I'm still optimistic.

I do like the addition of Ramon Sessions (at the cost of Andre Miller) so that they can keep forcing the pace when John Wall isn't on the floor. And seeing how they had both of those guys and Garrett Temple on the floor at the same time for a stretch during the last game, I'm guessing they think they might be able to occasionally use a small but quick lineup with Wall, Beal, and Sessions playing together to give other teams match-up problems.

At any rate, they have to get back to committing themselves on defense. And they need Beal back as an outside shooting threat.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The Wizards play went into the toilet not long after I made that last post. I hope they can get it together before the start of the playoffs. I'm still optimistic.

I do like the addition of Ramon Sessions (at the cost of Andre Miller) so that they can keep forcing the pace when John Wall isn't on the floor. And seeing how they had both of those guys and Garrett Temple on the floor at the same time for a stretch during the last game, I'm guessing they think they might be able to occasionally use a small but quick lineup with Wall, Beal, and Sessions playing together to give other teams match-up problems.

At any rate, they have to get back to committing themselves on defense. And they need Beal back as an outside shooting threat.

Yeah, but, how about the guy Cleveland added? Seems sorta like check and mate for the East?

Yeah, but, how about the guy Cleveland added? Seems sorta like check and mate for the East?

Cleveland made a number of moves earlier in the season that I think make them the favorites in the East. Check and mate? Rarely do I think that's the case in the NBA or NFL or MLB. But a strong favorite in my mind? Yes.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Cleveland made a number of moves earlier in the season that I think make them the favorites in the East. Check and mate? Rarely do I think that's the case in the NBA or NFL or MLB. But a strong favorite in my mind? Yes.

I forget the guys name but the talking heads say he makes Kevin Love's play no where near as critical.