Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Sure, I'd love another "frying pan"

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I have no opinion and just wanted to vote in this poll

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I thought of this too... I squashed my hubbies helpfulness over a decade ago because we didn't see eye to eye on gift giving... I have it all to do by myself now... I guess I got what I wanted...:ohwell:

Samething with him giving me gifts... if he got me anything to expensive or frivalous I would thank him then make him take it back... I no longer get jewelry and such... I guess I got what I wanted... :ohwell:

I'm raising my daughter better than that... she has a similar mindset when it comes to her boyfriend spending money on her... she knows he works hard for what he has... I'm trying to mentor her into finding a happy medium where she can be receptive without letting him spend too much... hope she has luck with that...:lol:

Maybe you can take it back? Write a letter to Santa and get some bling?

We don't have kids, so we don't have those kind of issues. His family, so he will make the final decision. :shrug: I just give advice, and my advice is no frying pans. :lol:

Maybe you can take it back? Write a letter to Santa and get some bling?

We don't have kids, so we don't have those kind of issues. His family, so he will make the final decision. :shrug: I just give advice, and my advice is no frying pans. :lol:
I actually don't care for jewelry and rarely wear what I have... I just miss the spontaneous gift giving side of him that I killed years ago...:lol:

lovinmaryland

Mig, think of it this way. At least he's TRYING to help out with the gift giving. I mean, he could just leave it all up to you and not worry about it, right? :yay:

:lol:

:yeahthat: I gotta go w/ this too. Its the thought that counts right!

either the day of or before birthdays, mother's/father's day, christmas, etc... Big B always looks at me and goes Oh did you get a card and gift for them from me????

Its hard enough to buy for my own damn family let alone his nuerotic ones :lol:

BTW I thought your gift basket idea was ADORABLE and I am going to steal it myself :biggrin:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
:yeahthat: I gotta go w/ this too. Its the thought that counts right!

either the day of or before birthdays, mother's/father's day, christmas, etc... Big B always looks at me and goes Oh did you get a card and gift for them from me????

Its hard enough to buy for my own damn family let alone his nuerotic ones :lol:

BTW I thought your gift basket idea was ADORABLE and I am going to steal it myself :biggrin:
:lol: See, I don't have the family on my side to worry about, so from the beginning it was obvious I wouldn't be the one to buy presents/cards since I forget Mother's Day, Father's Day, et al.. If I had my way, I'd buy a stockpile of Target gift cards and just have them around for every holiday, birthday, Christmas present and be done with the whole mess. It's a good thing I'm not the one responsible. :lmao:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I voted choice #1.

One year I needed a new frying pan and asked my Mom to get one for my birthday. She did (non-stick...I already had two cast iron pans)

This year I need a Swing-A-Way manual can opener.

*HINT HINT*

lovinmaryland

Oooh... you are making "I'm rooting for ya!" baskets full of turnips, potatoes and parsnips to give this year...:clap:
Damn Skippy! :lmao:
:lol: See, I don't have the family on my side to worry about, so from the beginning it was obvious I wouldn't be the one to buy presents/cards since I forget Mother's Day, Father's Day, et al.. If I had my way, I'd buy a stockpile of Target gift cards and just have them around for every holiday, birthday, Christmas present and be done with the whole mess. It's a good thing I'm not the one responsible. :lmao:

That is a good idea too :lol:

The irritation w/ his family (especially his mother) is that I go buy gifts for them from him, us and the grandkids then I run around to the post office mailing off the packages so they get there by Christmas. Do you know that every year EVER YEAR mind you. She mails the kids Christmas cards out anywhere from 2 weeks - 2 months AFTER Christmas. Its like hello the day doesnt change its the same day of the same month every year how difficult can it be to walk to your mail box and slip a card in :lol:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
this was the year of vacuums

got one for the house..
and a shop vac for the cars...

and a 6' ladder.....

all for MEEEEEEE :yahoo:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Damn Skippy! :lmao:

That is a good idea too :lol:

The irritation w/ his family (especially his mother) is that I go buy gifts for them from him, us and the grandkids then I run around to the post office mailing off the packages so they get there by Christmas. Do you know that every year EVER YEAR mind you. She mails the kids Christmas cards out anywhere from 2 weeks - 2 months AFTER Christmas. Its like hello the day doesnt change its the same day of the same month every year how difficult can it be to walk to your mail box and slip a card in :lol:

mail her stuff out late this year!!! :duel:

I actually don't care for jewelry and rarely wear what I have... I just miss the spontaneous gift giving side of him that I killed years ago...:lol:

My ex did that to me too.... I tried to be spontaneous, get her nice things, it always backfired. Took the wind out of my sails.

SoMDGirl42

Make sure to let his sisters know he really needs some weed eater string, weed be gone, grub killer, bug spray, and fertilizer for christmas this year!

Letme know how that works out for him. :killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well in that case tell him we all say no to the frying pan and he needs to move on...:lol:

Wait just a minute! I was driving all day and didn't see this thread.

Gotsta stick up for Yle on this one - a cast iron skillet is a GREAT gift. Larry got me one for Christmas one year and it was exactly what I wanted. I use it several times a week, easily. Nice solid Lodge cast iron, a multi-purpose pan that will last forever.

You ladies who sniff at a Lodge pan are crazy.

Wenchy

Hot Flash

Gotsta stick up for Yle on this one - a cast iron skillet is a GREAT gift. Larry got me one for Christmas one year and it was exactly what I wanted. I use it several times a week, easily. Nice solid Lodge cast iron, a multi-purpose pan that will last forever.

You've met my sister. She wouldn't know what to do do with a cast iron Lodge skillet. She might kill her husband with it if was a gift she didn't want. He would cook with it, but that's a gift for him .

Ideas. I don't need two.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, I think people knock themselves out trying to find the "perfect" gift, and it makes Christmas suck. I give others what I love myself: one year it was Bare Minerals for the ladies, another year I fell in love with Laurel Burch earrings and scarves, then it was Harry and David's Moose Munch and Royal pears, etc. And if they indicate they don't like what I got them, I cross them off my list and they never get another gift from me for any reason.

It's a "gift" not an obligation or gimme. And the only thing you say when someone gives you a gift is, "Thank you."

buggin

I sure hope it is okay b/c I am giving 3 frying pans, 2 saucepans, a dutch oven and a large soup pot to my daughter for Christmas. She likes to cook. Besides isn't it the thought and not the gift? Be glad you get one at all. Of course if it's from the hubby then just hit him with it, he should know better by now.:smack

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

I have several cast iron skillets. But I truly think that women who have established kitchens without one at this stage in the game, really don't want one. Besides, I cannot see one in my SIL's pristine white and silver shiny showroom floor kitchen with custom built appliances and cabinets that she dropped a lot of money for. What a crap gift for her. And for my other SIL who feeds a small army at every meal, she needs cafeteria sized cookware, not a regular sized skillet. When I cooked breakfast for everyone one morning at her house, I used the largest frying pan I have ever seen in my life, and I still had to make triple batches. I doubt she wants to be weilding an even heavier pan. She needs a massage or something instead of cookware.

A cast iron skillet is a great gift for someone who is starting out or who asks for one, or as a wedding gift, new home gift, but not for established kitchens as a Christmas present.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Also, I think people knock themselves out trying to find the "perfect" gift, and it makes Christmas suck. I give others what I love myself: one year it was Bare Minerals for the ladies, another year I fell in love with Laurel Burch earrings and scarves, then it was Harry and David's Moose Munch and Royal pears, etc. And if they indicate they don't like what I got them, I cross them off my list and they never get another gift from me for any reason.

It's a "gift" not an obligation or gimme. And the only thing you say when someone gives you a gift is, "Thank you."

Agreed. I love getting and giving gifts..I don't care what people get me, I am perfectly happy with it. The insane gifts from my wacky grandma are the best..they may be totally innapropriate or useless, but they make me smile and I thank her profusely for thinking of me. And when I give gifts I give them to people I care about and I give them soemthing with a little thought behind it. But I am not rich and I am not going broke for christmas and everyone understands that. I feel no pressure about gifts at christmas..never have :shrug: my family just doesn't put that much stock in gifts..we prefer big dinners and alcohol :buddies: I used to get one or two "big" presents and a few little things when I was a kid..I never felt deprived, we just had so much more fun with other aspects of the holidays..presents were like a really nice bonus.

I feel really sad for people who feel lots of pressure about this kind of thing..it totally ruins the good time.

E

EmptyTimCup

:lol: I want a convection oven. But the reason for this poll is my husband thinks it's a good idea to buy his sisters each a frying pan for Christmas, while I think it's a horrible idea.

well as long as it his sisters and not you

:jet: