Large groundhog holes in pasture and barn

BluesFarm

Help - I need advice on what to do about these holes! There are 4 of them near the edge of a pasture I want to fence in.

What has worked for you?

We have tried to kill (shoot) the darn critters, but they are too wiley to be out when we're home or they sense us (or the gun) and duck back in their holes. DH *almost* got one, thinks he may have winged it, but it's inconclusive - we haven't seen the hog by that hole since but there are new holes elsewhere on the farm.

So back to the filed holes - we could fence around them.....but what's to say the hogs don't later dig a nearby hole inside the fence?

We could, as a neighbor suggested, pour some dry mix down the holes and fill them with dirt. Again, that may not trap the critters inside, so they may just dig their way out or if we don't get lucky and entomb them while they're inside, they'll just dig new holes.

Also have some holes behind our house and two in one of our barns. But what works in one place should work in the others.

M

Mousebaby

Help - I need advice on what to do about these holes! There are 4 of them near the edge of a pasture I want to fence in.

What has worked for you?

We have tried to kill (shoot) the darn critters, but they are too wiley to be out when we're home or they sense us (or the gun) and duck back in their holes. DH *almost* got one, thinks he may have winged it, but it's inconclusive - we haven't seen the hog by that hole since but there are new holes elsewhere on the farm.

So back to the filed holes - we could fence around them.....but what's to say the hogs don't later dig a nearby hole inside the fence?

We could, as a neighbor suggested, pour some dry mix down the holes and fill them with dirt. Again, that may not trap the critters inside, so they may just dig their way out or if we don't get lucky and entomb them while they're inside, they'll just dig new holes.

Also have some holes behind our house and two in one of our barns. But what works in one place should work in the others.

Hubby is pretty damn good with a gun, you want him to come out there and try?

onebdzee

off the shelf
Build a fire in one of the holes....they will come out the other end and then shoot them

My brother would sit out and wait for hours to shoot the ones that were living under the house next door to my mom....he had a high powered rifle with a scope on it

I

Inkpen

Such wonderful, compassionate people.
No wonder we are called The Pest Species.

Woodchucks were here long before you and your horses were and will be here long after you are gone!!

Get rid of the food source and they will leave to find food.
Take rocks, cement pieces, fill in holes.
Reason they live there is that it is an easy place to dig tunnels..and they dig a lot of them.

But you may be too late,...they hibernate starting this time of year and dont come out until spring.

Best time to get them is in late summer when babies do not need momma...then trap them out, fill in ALL the holes and you just might get rid of them.

If you really want to find a humane solution, PM me and I will help.

Otherwise, happy hunting.:howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I filled holes in here with horse poop..jammed it full..ran the suckers away and they never came back..

Cowgirl

Simple..
Get rid of what it is eating ..what part of that is hard for you to understand?
Go see what it is eating and get rid of it.:popcorn:

From DNR's website:
Groundhogs are herbivores; almost complete vegetarians. They are most often seen sitting on their haunches grazing on grasses, leaves, flowers, clover, alfalfa, wheat, and rye. They like to raid people's gardens and eat farmer's cucumbers and melons. Occasionally, they will climb trees and eat an apple or nut.

Gee, how does one get rid of grasses, leaves, flowers, clover, alfalfa, wheat and rye? She can't very well get rid of her pasture now, can she?

Last edited:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Hubby is pretty damn good with a gun, you want him to come out there and try?

Yeah...but can he take one with a Bow???
:Muahaha:

I have a better pic, but too graphic!
:dye:

Attachments

• DSC01374.jpg
    DSC01374.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 195

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Woodchucks were here long before you and your horses were and will be here long after you are gone!!

Take rocks, cement pieces, fill in holes. :

That's great for the plough or the horse or cow, rocks and cement. So, the move their new hole, what, 3 feet to the left or right?

M

Mousebaby

Take rocks, cement pieces, fill in holes.
Reason they live there is that it is an easy place to dig tunnels..and they dig a lot of them.

But you may be too late,...they hibernate starting this time of year and dont come out until spring.

Best time to get them is in late summer when babies do not need momma...then trap them out, fill in ALL the holes and you just might get rid of them.

If you really want to find a humane solution, PM me and I will help.

Otherwise, happy hunting.:howdy:

Hubby was not going to do it to be inhumane, he would have eatin them. Or donated them to the Rod and Gun club for their wild game dinner.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
NICE SHOT!!!

How far???

Thanks, it was about 10 yards...it was hysterical. An IRS agent had just left the house, we were battling a HUGE groundhog problem, and this sucker ran across the back yard. BAD Timing for MR groundhog! Didn't have time to open the safe, so grabed hubbies recurve and let er rip! I owed him a new set of arrows! We shot several, as holes were cropping up all over the pastures. Also got rid of shrubs and brushes near the fields so they don't have a place to hide. Haven't seen a groundhog for over a year now!:yahoo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Thanks, it was about 10 yards...it was hysterical. An IRS agent had just left the house, we were battling a HUGE groundhog problem, and this sucker ran across the back yard. BAD Timing for MR groundhog! Didn't have time to open the safe, so grabed hubbies recurve and let er rip! I owed him a new set of arrows! We shot several, as holes were cropping up all over the pastures. Also got rid of shrubs and brushes near the fields so they don't have a place to hide. Haven't seen a groundhog for over a year now!:yahoo:

...you're a girl? And killed you a gh with a bow??? That's so kewl! :buddies:

M

Mousebaby

Yeah...but can he take one with a Bow???
:Muahaha:

I have a better pic, but too graphic!
:dye:

Yes actually he probably could. He is a damn good shot! He wins all kinds of trophy's when he goes skeet shooting. He can even use a long bow. GROUND HOGGY'S BEWARE! :lmao: