Leave it to San Francisco

slotted

Bustem' Down said:
I'm an atheist too. Is your belief in the non-exsistance of god so shaky that you can't say the words?

No shakey belief here, why would I want to say the words? Why would I want my kids to?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
slotted said:
No shakey belief here, why would I want to say the words? Why would I want my kids to?
What does it matter if they hold no meaning?

Would any christian parent be offended because they were required to put on a hat to go into a jewish synogoug? (sp?)

slotted

Bustem' Down said:

Would any christian parent be offended because they were required to put on a hat to go into a jewish synogoug? (sp?)

Strawman! Hats exist. :peace:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qpid said:
i said i thought about it
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I get tired of these screwy uber-atheists who think saying the words "under God" will kill them. I agree with Bust'em - if you're so insecure that you can't even say certain words, then you have a problem and I'm not interested in hearing about it.

My take is that these people really DO believe in God and are afraid He will smite them for their nutballery, so they daren't say the words for fear that, like Beetlejuice (and Crabcake), God will show up.

Do they have a problem singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town?"

No.

Do they cringe at the words "Here Comes Peter Cottontail"?

No.

Does "I Am the Walrus" make them start filing lawsuits?

No.

I rest my case.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
slotted said:
Strawman! Hats exist. :peace:
But it's part of the jewish faith to cover your head when entering a house of worship. I had to put a hat on to visit the wailing wall in Jerusalem because it was a consecrated temple. So I ask again. It's valid because it would be forcing someone to do something of another faith.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Bustem' Down said:

Good point. I guess the difference is that the synagogue is a private religious entity, while the Pledge is the official statement of American patriotism.

And Slotted, this isn't about the merits of religion. It would be just as wrong for the Pledge to include the phrase "under no god". As I see it, goverment should keep its grubby hands out of religious matters.

Qpid

vraiblonde said:

Anyway, I get tired of these screwy uber-atheists who think saying the words "under God" will kill them. I agree with Bust'em - if you're so insecure that you can't even say certain words, then you have a problem and I'm not interested in hearing about it.

My take is that these people really DO believe in God and are afraid He will smite them for their nutballery, so they daren't say the words for fear that, like Beetlejuice (and Crabcake), God will show up.

No.

No.

No.

I rest my case.

being a true christian means following what god tells you to do. If you have a complete understanding of his word, you'll know the pledge of allegiance is WRONG.

unfortunetly it took an atheiest to bring it to the attention of a judge to find it unconstitutional when it shouldn't have been put in there at all!!! :shrug:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
Next, we'll hear from the people who believe that "Satan Claus" is the devil's invention to mislead people about the meaning of Christmas.

slotted

vraiblonde said:

No.

No.

No.

I rest my case.

Yes, real afraid of Gawd smiting me. I don't tend to be afraid of large invisible jews who live in the sky.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Tonio said:
Next, we'll hear from the people who believe that "Satan Claus" is the devil's invention to mislead people about the meaning of Christmas.
And that Xmas was invented to take Christ out of christmas. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qpid said:
being a true christian means following what god tells you to do. If you have a complete understanding of his word, you'll know the pledge of allegiance is WRONG.
I'm not a Christian. :razz: Therefore I can say whatever I want.

Under God
Under God
Under God
Under God

God is great, God is good, let us thank him for our food!

America, America, God shed His grace on thee.

So there.

slotted

Tonio said:
And Slotted, this isn't about the merits of religion. It would be just as wrong for the Pledge to include the phrase "under no god". As I see it, goverment should keep its grubby hands out of religious matters.

I agree completely.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
slotted said:
I don't tend to be afraid of large invisible jews who live in the sky.
Then why do you care? If those words mean nothing to you, yet DO mean something to someone else, let them say them.

Are you one of those types that goes to weddings and refuses to bow your head in acknowledgment of prayer? Do you get up and walk out because it offends you?

slotted

vraiblonde said:
Then why do you care? If those words mean nothing to you, yet DO mean something to someone else, let them say them.

I have a problem with a child being required to say the pledge. That is not freedom of religion.

Religion doesn't belong in public schools.

Last edited:

Qpid

slotted said:
I have a problem with a child being required to say the pledge. That is not freedom of religion.

and they dont even know what REAL ALLEGIANCE IS :shrug:

its like baptizing a newborn baby.

Vince

slotted said:

Religion doesn't belong in public schools.
A little more religion in these schools and maybe these kids wouldn't be trying to shoot each other. I know you'll disagree, of course, but what's wrong with teaching the kids "thou shalt not kill."

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Vince said:
A little more religion in these schools and maybe these kids wouldn't be trying to shoot each other. I know you'll disagree, of course, but what's wrong with teaching the kids "thou shalt not kill."
Now that I disagree with. Religion like it always has is for the home. Maybe if people stepped up and started being parents they wouldn't be trying to shoot each other.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh come now...

Bustem' Down said:
I have to say, I really don't know what all the fuss is about. So they have to say under god, big deal.

I pledge ALLEGIANCE to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
one nation, under GOD
indivisible, with Liberty
and justice for all.

Don't you see?

For us sheep, pledging allegiance to an inanimate object is easy. We already do it to W.

For the very few intelligent people, why, it's just a symbol and you can't readily burn it if you've pledged allegiance to it, now can you? Of course, when you burn it, it somehow becomes speech. Which raises a good question; Can the very few intelligent people pledge allegiance to words? Like vows and such? Nevermind that for now.

Republic for which it stands. That's code, as anyone can see, for 'Republican'.
Nuff said?

One nation? What about the Untited Nations?

Under GOD????? Something bigger than SELF? No effing way, dude.

Liberty and justice for all is OK except for sheep who should all be stuck on a ranch in Crawford.

Anyway, you've got to see how horrible this is for someone who says they are an atheist, right? I mean, they believe in no God and if they have to say 'under God' then they have to say 'I believe in no God' which then brings up not wether or not faith exists but it's nature because as a non-believer merely saying 'under God' threatens their non faith and...well...what if there is a God and...well.

You see?