Leonard Hall JNA Closing

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not really a surprise with around 50 students. I honestly thought it had closed years ago.
?? That's been a typical enrollment number for them for a very long time. They've always tried to maintain a student-teacher ratio of around 8:1. My son attended the academy during his middle school years; we had to help him escape the SMC Ghetto Skills Training Facility, also called Spring Ridge Middle School.

We really liked LHJNA and volunteered for a lot of activities and fund raisers.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
?? That's been a typical enrollment number for them for a very long time. They've always tried to maintain a student-teacher ratio of around 8:1. My son attended the academy during his middle school years; we had to help him escape the SMC Ghetto Skills Training Facility, also called Spring Ridge Middle School.

We really liked LHJNA and volunteered for a lot of activities and fund raisers.
Which may help to explain why they didn't have the funding to stay where they were (with the caveat that they had to do the maintenance and upgrades) or find another space.

I also think, just a little bit, that the County wanted them out and pulled the pin now since, apparently, none of the issues with the building that were cited were "new" or unknown..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Which may help to explain why they didn't have the funding to stay where they were (with the caveat that they had to do the maintenance and upgrades) or find another space.

I also think, just a little bit, that the County wanted them out and pulled the pin now.
They always operated close to broke in the last couple decades. Relied heavily on family members volunteering to run fundraising activities. Tuition didn't come close to break-even. So yeah..it's no surprise the deferred maintenance and repairs were piling up for that old building.

Not sure I see why the country would "want them out"...the county won't be able to do much with that building otherwise.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
They always operated close to broke in the last couple decades. Relied heavily on family members volunteering to run fundraising activities. Tuition didn't come close to break-even. So yeah..it's no surprise the deferred maintenance and repairs were piling up for that old building.

Not sure I see why the country would "want them out"...the county won't be able to do much with that building otherwise.
Declare it surplus and put it out for bid for redevelopment that puts it on the tax rolls. Maybe someone "connected" has had an off the record chat with a Commissioner or three about doing just that.

You could skip the putting out for bid part by requesting an RFP for redevelopment with the "winner" getting the property. A couple more ways are there but not as clean to do.

3CATSAILOR

So they can build a shelter for "Pan-American Migrant Democrats" to please the Governor?
Are you saying the building is not good enough for the kids but it is for the "migrants".

What is the difference between immigrant and migrant?
The word migrant refers to someone who moves to other places in search of work or better living conditions. The word immigrant refers to those who have moved to foreign countries permanently for work or for better living conditions. It can be used both as a Noun and an Adjective.

woogie

It appears that to the common observer that LHJNA died as a result of a
combination of incompetence, negligence and behind-the-scenes skullduggery
on SEVERAL levels.

Another wonderful St. Mary's institution relegated to the dustbin of history.

Sad,

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It appears that to the common observer that LHJNA died as a result of a
combination of incompetence, negligence and behind-the-scenes skullduggery
on SEVERAL levels.

Another wonderful St. Mary's institution relegated to the dustbin of history.

Sad,
Speaking from my own experience, LHJNA had a superb staff, in spite of their inability to provide a very competitive wage. The staff was very dedicated to the kids and the teaching and other programs very well run. I don't see how being perennially "near broke" would resemble any of the negatives you listed, but unfortunately that's where they operated.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
this is a bit off topic, but.... we've seen busses of "Bidens inductees" going to NY, Chicago, Los Angeles.... but none to places like southern Maryland... so does that mean they are NOT here???

ummmmmmmmmmm....scan the police blotter for St. Mary's, Charles County, Calvert County ( well not as much) ....
They're sending them where there is a greater need for landscaping.

Madonna has her own crew.

frequentflier

happy to be living
this is a bit off topic, but.... we've seen busses of "Bidens inductees" going to NY, Chicago, Los Angeles.... but none to places like southern Maryland... so does that mean they are NOT here???

ummmmmmmmmmm....scan the police blotter for St. Mary's, Charles County, Calvert County ( well not as much) ....
It's been a couple years since I went to the Charlotte hall flea market but I was one of the only people there that spoke English. Rte 231 flea market was full of them the last time I went. And thrift stores...don't even get me started on how rude and loud they are...