Lights?

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
They are on top of 6 telephone poles. One light per pole. 3 poles on each long side. Covers an area about 100x175. If I were to do it again, I'd have put a pole on the short ends as well.

How tall are the poles that you used? 20 ft vs 30 ft??

What is the wattage on the lights? are they 400 Watt or 1000 Watt??

:confused::confused:

Sparks

How tall are the poles that you used? 20 ft vs 30 ft??

What is the wattage on the lights? are they 400 Watt or 1000 Watt??

:confused::confused:

Each Light is 400w MH.

Jeez, on the height, I don't think the poles are 30ft but I don't think they are 20 either. I do think they are about 4-5 feet in the ground. Maybe they were 25 foot poles??? I would like them a little taller if I had that choice. My guess would be that they are about 18-20 feet OUT of the ground.

We got the poles from a company in Warsaw, VA.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
:banana:

thanks for the help!! i think i will try to get 30' poles - 5-6 feet in the ground

so excited!!

Not sure where you are located but SMECO gives away used telephone poles. U-Haul. (however, back in the day, some of the local crews working nearby would drop a few off for a case of beer :killingme)

If you are in maryland, and the poles arent going to be used for anything other than a light pole 3-4 feet is plenty! MOST telephone poles are set 3' in the ground, depending on how much tension is on them. The local line crews who have to occasionally set them buy hand, told me what the depth requirement was. Most augers dig about 3-4 ft. I have a 9 inch auger that is PTO driven, and we set our high tensile fence posts (that had tension on them) at 4 feet, and we had to actually dig the last little bit. I have 1000lbs of tension on my poles.

NOTE: Augers are dangerous and unless you are very familiar with farm implements and PTO, I recommend you get someone to do it for you.
Augers have the potential to kill you in a matter of seconds!!!

Last edited:
Frost line in MD is 32" I believe. Either 28 or 32. So long as you are below the frost line, you are fine.

Sparks

Not sure where you are located but SMECO gives away used telephone poles. U-Haul. (however, back in the day, some of the local crews working nearby would drop a few off for a case of beer :killingme)

If you are in maryland, and the poles arent going to be used for anything other than a light pole 3-4 feet is plenty! MOST telephone poles are set 3' in the ground, depending on how much tension is on them. The local line crews who have to occasionally set them buy hand, told me what the depth requirement was. Most augers dig about 3-4 ft. I have a 9 inch auger that is PTO driven, and we set our high tensile fence posts (that had tension on them) at 4 feet, and we had to actually dig the last little bit. I have 1000lbs of tension on my poles.

NOTE: Augers are dangerous and unless you are very familiar with farm implements and PTO, I recommend you get someone to do it for you.
Augers have the potential to kill you in a matter of seconds!!!

I would not try and set a 30 foot telephone pole myself. As far as how deep they are set, I'd imagine you'd want to consider the weight of the light. My lights were quite heavy. I'd call SMECO and see if they'll set the poles for you.

We also rented a Lift to install the lights on the poles once they were set.

huntr - what does the frost line have to do with it??

CountryLady

luvmyponies
If you don't plant the pole to a depth below the frost line, when the ground freezes it can push the poles up out of the ground. It also can freeze water in the pipes if they are not below the frost line.

Sparks

If you don't plant the pole to a depth below the frost line, when the ground freezes it can push the poles up out of the ground. It also can freeze water in the pipes if they are not below the frost line.

I know what the frost line is, just not sure what it has to do with this conversation. :shrug: The bottom of a planted 30' pole will be several FEET below the frost line.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I know what the frost line is, just not sure what it has to do with this conversation. :shrug: The bottom of a planted 30' pole will be several FEET below the frost line.

I think huntr was just trying to make sure you were aware of what the frost line LOCALLY as too take it into account for your project.

The local building codes should take frost depth into account because of “frost heaving,” which can damage buildings by moving its foundation and or (push your telephone pole up out of the ground which can cause leaning). Foundations are normally built below the frost depth and likewise fence posts, light poles & water pipes are installed below this line for this same reason. So knowing what the frost line is for your area is important information. I think huntr is right, but I would double check with the utilities company or local county office (bldg permits) tho.

Also, You might want to call "Miss Utility" at 1-800-257-7777, to have all utilities located prior to any digging. You have to give them 48hrs notice prior to digging. It is free of charge for them to come mark.

Also, Most counties do not locate or mark your private water and sewer lines. They usually have no information or maps indicating how the plumber ran your private water and sewer lines. So they will only mark up to your property line, which usually means your water meter, and sewer cleanout.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
I think huntr was just trying to make sure you were aware of what the frost line LOCALLY as too take it into account for your project.

The local building codes should take frost depth into account because of “frost heaving,” which can damage buildings by moving its foundation and or (push your telephone pole up out of the ground which can cause leaning). Foundations are normally built below the frost depth and likewise fence posts, light poles & water pipes are installed below this line for this same reason. So knowing what the frost line is for your area is important information. I think huntr is right, but I would double check with the utilities company or local county office (bldg permits) tho.

Also, You might want to call "Miss Utility" at 1-800-257-7777, to have all utilities located prior to any digging. You have to give them 48hrs notice prior to digging. It is free of charge for them to come mark.

Also, Most counties do not locate or mark your private water and sewer lines. They usually have no information or maps indicating how the plumber ran your private water and sewer lines. So they will only mark up to your property line, which usually means your water meter, and sewer cleanout.

- burning my hand on hydraulic auger - check
- called miss utility for random wires running around farm - check
- called local boys about poles - tempted them with beer and stuffed ham sandwiches - check
- called in professional to deliver and set poles - check
- walked through it with electrician (who wasn't bad looking charming personality) - check

now i just need a check to pay for it all!!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
- burning my hand on hydraulic auger - check
- called miss utility for random wires running around farm - check
- called local boys about poles - tempted them with beer and stuffed ham sandwiches - check
- called in professional to deliver and set poles - check
- walked through it with electrician (who wasn't bad looking charming personality) - check

now i just need a check to pay for it all!!

:lmao:
GOOD JOB!