List Of Base Closings In Alphabetical Order

Elle

Happy Camper!
You guys do know that this is only the Department of Defense’s recommendation ~ the final decisions won't be made until September and even then it will still be like 2 months later until anything is definite.

alex

Club'nBabySeals said:
This is only the preliminary BRAC recommendation list. It will go to Congress for either approval, or a kick back.

Once Congress approves it, it will go to W. for a signature. By all historical averages, it'll be well into September before the finalized version is signed.

Point being, we're not out of the woods yet. It's not been unheard of for a location that hadn't made the draft to suddenly show up after Congress has had a go. More than likely, however, the fact that PAX didn't make the draft cut is good news.
I thought that the recommendations went to W. who could accept or kick them back and then they went to Congress for a straight up or down vote. I thought Congress could not make ANY changes to the list had to accept or not as is?

alex

huntr1 said:
So Pax would lose 3 military positions and gain a total of 31 contractors between the 2 divisions affected. Def. Finance and Accounting is slated for closure (loss of 53 contractors) and generic "Pax River" is slated to lose 10 military in some area, then gain 7 in another, and lose 142 contractors in 1 area and gain 226 in another.

Looks like Indian Head came out pretty well too.
Will someone explain how an additional 226 people are going to buy/live in all the new housing being built in ST. Mary's? At last count there are 1000+ new homes slated in the Town of Leonardtown alone, this does not even count any new developments outside the town limits.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
alex said:
I thought that the recommendations went to W. who could accept or kick them back and then they went to Congress for a straight up or down vote. I thought Congress could not make ANY changes to the list had to accept or not as is?
This list (DOD List) goes to the BRAC Commission now. I think it is a nine-member panel that can with 5 votes add a base or with 7 votes remove a base from this list. They then forward their list to GW by 8 September and he will have until 23 September to approve the list in it's entirety and forward it to Congress which will then have 45 legislative days to approve or deny the entire list.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
alex said:
Will someone explain how an additional 226 people are going to buy/live in all the new housing being built in ST. Mary's? At last count there are 1000+ new homes slated in the Town of Leonardtown alone, this does not even count any new developments outside the town limits.
These 87 are permanent additions, projects coming here for three, five, ten or whatever years will drag many of their company people with them and need what appears to be the surplus housing.

Midnightrider

Ken King said:
This list (DOD List) goes to the BRAC Commission now. I think it is a nine-member panel that can with 5 votes add a base or with 7 votes remove a base from this list. They then forward their list to GW by 8 September and he will have until 23 September to approve the list in it's entirety and forward it to Congress which will then have 45 legislative days to approve or deny the entire list.
I think its the other way around 5 votes to remove, and 7 to add, but either way, the list isn't final yet

alex said:
What, is there some law somewhere that only employees of PAX can live in St. Mary's? :confused: Does that mean I have to move since I work in Silver Spring?

In other words, build the houses and the people will come to buy them. In fact, they will come in DROVES to buy them in such numbers that they will be sold out before they are even close to done building.

Merlin

Registered Smarta$$
alex said:
This only accounts for the BRAC additions. JSF is supposed to be bringing in quite a few jobs over the next few years.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Fifty jobs is nothing and can not be looked at alone. We probably just grow more than fifty jobs a quarter as is.

alex

huntr1 said:
What, is there some law somewhere that only employees of PAX can live in St. Mary's? :confused: Does that mean I have to move since I work in Silver Spring?

In other words, build the houses and the people will come to buy them. In fact, they will come in DROVES to buy them in such numbers that they will be sold out before they are even close to done building.
Yeah, but will they come with the big salaries to pay the big $$ alot of these homes are going for? However, Ken answered my question since I do not work with or for the DOD .

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
alex said:
Yeah, but will they come with the big salaries to pay the big $$ alot of these homes are going for? However, Ken answered my question since I do not work with or for the DOD .

Wildewood has a waiting list of over 120 people already who have all put $3k in escrow to be on the waiting list.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
aps45819 said:
What does REALIGN mean?
They're changing the name on the front gate?
Realignment refers to the moving around and redistributions of certain functions among various installations. For instance, the Joint Strike Fighter pilot's school will be taught at one Air Force base, instead of the more traditional approach of having a separate school and location for each branch of service. Walter Reed is going to move into the Bethesda Naval hospital, and that facility (when the upgrades are finished) will be the joint military medical center. The submairne base at New London, CT will close, but the submarine base at Groton (just up the Thames river a couple of miles) will absorb whatever is left without a home there. I saw at least a few reserve training centers and recruiting centers consolidated into single locations in a number of states.

NESEA was technically absorbed by (can't remember the current name) NAVELEX in Charleston. The Webster Field facility was absorbed by PAX. The Shipboard Comms, Air Traffic Control, etc. activities stayed there, but their upper management moved. Nothing significant there, except that the commands could elect to consolidate their activities and pull out of Webster. So Webster experienced a realignment.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
alex said:
This is ONLY new growth.. the projected growth already approved is still coming.. JSF is supposed to bring >2000 contractors to the base.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And someone mentioned Solomons Rec Center not being on the hit list.. don't be so sure.. Solomons isn't part of Maryland.. it falls under Naval District Washington which is losing 953 jobs.