Local car accidents

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Local car accidents
I've often wondered. Is it really a, "car accident"? Or is it a driver's accident. Being that the car is being commanded into action by a driver and all. By itself, a car will not get into an accident by itself, (unless the driver leaves it in neutral and the brake off on a downward slope). Though still applicable to driver/operator error. It's like saying, "gun violence", a misnomer if there ever was one. I think it comes down to lazy writing. Not a dig, or slight, at the OP's title. But from years of reporters doing so. Maybe the headline should read: Two Injured After Inattentive Driver crashed his vehicle in Lexington Park During Rush Hour Traffic While Driving Recklessly. Or maybe: "Two Innocents Hospitalized - Local Driver Caused Personal Injury and Property Damage"? Because cars do not have accidents. Drivers have inattentive moments, or equipment failures due to inadequate maintenance, or long overdue deferred maintenance, (tires, brakes, etc.) causing their vehicle to crash, or injure another.

However. Is it really an accident when driver's are not attentive or recklessly speeding or otherwise do not have complete control of their vehicle and attention to the road?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Where the heck do FDR and Three Notch intersect in California? Where was this crash at?
The entrance to all the condos in Wildewood before you get to the turn for St. Mary's Marketplace (Harris Teeter shopping center) is FDR and across the road from By The Mill Road.

MiddleGround

The entrance to all the condos in Wildewood before you get to the turn for St. Mary's Marketplace (Harris Teeter shopping center) is FDR and across the road from By The Mill Road.

No surprise there are accidents in that corridor. Too many people racing through the Rte 4/235 intersection in the far right lane to get ahead of traffic in the adjacent 2 left lanes and then cutting over to make the left into the apartments or to get into Wildewood. Just one of the many everyday idiotic driving occurances on Three Notch raceway!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Need to send some of the drivers here in Egypt over to St. Mary's to start some driving schools. They can show how it's possible to drive like complete maniacs, ignoring all manner of lane marking and traffic signals, darting in and out, left and right, at breakneck speed in rush hour traffic with pedestrians crossing randomly everywhere....yet surprisingly few accidents of any kind. ?? I've never seen anything like it.

officeguy

Need to send some of the drivers here in Egypt over to St. Mary's to start some driving schools. They can show how it's possible to drive like complete maniacs, ignoring all manner of lane marking and traffic signals, darting in and out, left and right, at breakneck speed in rush hour traffic with pedestrians crossing randomly everywhere....yet surprisingly few accidents of any kind. ?? I've never seen anything like it.

While I don't know a specific rate for St Mary's, but the general death rate for road traffic in the US is 12 per 100k. The rate for Egypt is 42.

glhs837

Power with Control
While I don't know a specific rate for St Mary's, but the general death rate for road traffic in the US is 12 per 100k. The rate for Egypt is 42.

Yeah, India looks good on the surface also, but it's death rate is pretty silly also. Here's the state by state. Maryland looks pretty good, in the single digits, 9.1. Other states not so well, but the worst at 23 is still almost half of Egypt.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/state-by-state

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Darwin in action? ;-p

I would not try to drive here if you paid me to. Got a superb personal driver who cuts the commute from hotel to base to dirt minimum by exhibiting some amazing dodging and hyper-aggressive driving skills...he'd dominate NASCAR, given the chance.

glhs837

Power with Control
Darwin in action? ;-p

I would not try to drive here if you paid me to. Got a superb personal driver who cuts the commute from hotel to base to dirt minimum by exhibiting some amazing dodging and hyper-aggressive driving skills...he'd dominate NASCAR, given the chance.

My buddy and I saw that in India. I've driven in Japan, Saudi, and Sicily but didnt even think of trying India. One time our driver, faced with a blockage like you see on 235 north in the afternoon on a similar road, cut over into the other side and jammed at high speed for about a mile.

officeguy

My buddy and I saw that in India. I've driven in Japan, Saudi, and Sicily but didnt even think of trying India. One time our driver, faced with a blockage like you see on 235 north in the afternoon on a similar road, cut over into the other side and jammed at high speed for about a mile.

If I had to put together a squad of men who have no fear for some nefarious undertaking, I would hire nigerian 'Okada' drivers. Those are the motorcycle taxies that weave through traffic in homey places like Lagos. On a 4 lane highway, they will go down the markers between the two lanes of oncoming traffic :oops:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I had to put together a squad of men who have no fear for some nefarious undertaking, I would hire nigerian 'Okada' drivers. Those are the motorcycle taxies that weave through traffic in homey places like Lagos. On a 4 lane highway, they will go down the markers between the two lanes of oncoming traffic :oops:
The food delivery motorcycle drivers over here drive like that. The cars and ubiquitous micro-bus taxis make a 4 lane road in to 6 lanes and then the delivery scooters split all of those...