Local Fauna

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Much tastier than whistle pig, I'm sure. With today's economy, I'm looking for alternative sources of protein.
You need to wait until after First Frost for wild rabbit. They carry parasites and diseases, such as tularemia.
A good freeze will usually kill the the one's that are actively infected. Cooking thoroughly will take care of the others.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Southern MD is not a place for black bears. If DNR can tranq it, they will haul it back to Western MD.

Reactions: rio

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Had a big possum come by early this morning.
1663636621261.png

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Saw a rabbit in the side cam for the 1st time in a few weeks. I think they had to find other digs after Chuck moved under the garden shed.

A couple nights ago, had a chubby black cat with a stubby tail come by.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Found a juvenile Eastern Worm Snake under a portable raised bed I moved to cut the grass.
I am given to understand they avoid contact with anything but their tiny prey and are harmless to anything bigger them them.
1664390892188.png

glhs837

Power with Control
I get those in the garden from time to time, which given the amount of big fat worms in there when we plant, makes sense.

Beagle freaked out on a piece of roadside, the next morning, my neighbor saw a fox just sitting on the cap to her buried propane tank in her backyard. Gonna set of the trail cam where the beagle alerted tonight.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Chuck sat still when I walked out on the raised deck with the camera long enough to get a better picture.
1664417716439.png

ontheriver

I caught a red fox taking a wizz in my flower bed a few nights ago on my camera.
Last evening he was hunting a bunny in my yard. Bunny escaped because I was outside.
Gorgeous animal and looked healthy. 🦊

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Big red fox visited early this morning. I have a feeding station by the garage for the local free roamers. Have a few possums that come by, too.