Local Food Lions purchased by Weis Markets

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I loveeeeeee weis. I had one next to me when I lived in Frederick and I did all my shopping there. It is very much like food lion, so its cheaper and they have a ton of store brand stuff so all of the snobs will turn up their noses. But I saved a ton of money and I was always super pleased with the store brand..PLUS in the fall they had store made pumpkin whoopie pies that were my favorite thig....thats the pennsylvania dutch influence..that and the turkey hill tea.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Love me some whoopie pies. There is an Amish woman that makes them and "Twinkees" for Keep'in It Local. A true guilty pleasure. :drool:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Yes, that's what this sale is about. By selling those stores, the merger of Ahold and Delhaize can get past the FTC.

That may also be the reason why some of the Food Lions (e.g. Charlotte Hall) are not on the purchase list. They don't create a monopoly situation in their respective market area (or they simply don't have the numbers to be interesting for Weis).

Thanks!

paxnewbie

I find the Food Lion grocery stores to be so drab, dark and old. I'm a transplant, though, from an area where my stores were bright, with a ton of selection, and presentation was a good part of the displays. Is Weis the type of place that will freshen things up, or do you all think it's going to stay the same as it is.

Bonehead

Anyone with experience shopping @ a Weis do they have any organic products, milk, vegetables, bread etc. ? Do they buy local produce for their stores ?

BlueSunday

Anyone with experience shopping @ a Weis do they have any organic products, milk, vegetables, bread etc. ? Do they buy local produce for their stores ?

Yes they have "organics" but how much I don't know.I do know Harris Teeter has a very nice selection.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Interested as well. I used to shop at the Giant in Lusby and their produce section has taken a huge nose dive over the past 6 months. I have been finding much better produce at Food Lion in Solomons and hit the farm stands when I can. I wish we could get a Wegmans!

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
As typical with you ,you are wrong. What ever the store was before it stays as is now .The Giants in Fredricksburg will remain Union as will the Salisbury store.The Food Lions which were not Union will remain Non-union.Thanks.

Weis is a non- Union grocery chain. If they take over a store.......Bye, bye Union.........

...and we are not talking Giant stores, we are talking Food Lion

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Weis is a non- Union grocery chain. If they take over a store.......Bye, bye Union.........

...and we are not talking Giant stores, we are talking Food Lion

Food Lion is union here? When I worked at Kroger way back in the day the propaganda presentation they gave to us was how evil Walmart K-Mart, and Food Lion was and the union had to give up something so they could compete with the axis of evil.

BlueSunday

Food Lion is union here? When I worked at Kroger way back in the day the propaganda presentation they gave to us was how evil Walmart K-Mart, and Food Lion was and the union had to give up something so they could compete with the axis of evil.

No Food Lion is not Union here or anywhere .Bird Dog does not know of what he tries to speak of.Kroger is still Union .All I stated is that the stores that were Union are staying Union the ones that are not will stay non-union.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Unions in this day and age do nothing but extort money for less than stellar performers...

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I lived in Laurel, MD for a number of years and the closest grocery store was Weis. I found that they had decent prices and a wide selection of brands. The store that I frequented was a bit older than some of the other stores in the area, but I was happy with the products. They did have organic fruits and veggies - but I think that you will likely find the best produce at some of the local food stands.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I know that the newly opened Weis markets were recently discussed on another thread, but this seemed the better thread to post.

I've not been to one yet, but three different people have told me that they found the prices are closer to Giant than Food Lion. The Callaway store's parking lot was packed on Saturday.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I went to the Lusby store on Sunday and was not impressed. Sold out or nearly sold out of a lot of things. Also, even with coupons and Rewards card, I seemed to pay more than I normally would. Only bought about half my normal weekly purchases but paid about the same as if I bought more. I was not impressed. Plus somebody posted on FB that there were bugs in the baked goods item. Video showed some sort of bug crawling around under the wrapper.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I went to the Lusby store on Sunday and was not impressed. Sold out or nearly sold out of a lot of things. Also, even with coupons and Rewards card, I seemed to pay more than I normally would. Only bought about half my normal weekly purchases but paid about the same as if I bought more. I was not impressed. Plus somebody posted on FB that there were bugs in the baked goods item. Video showed some sort of bug crawling around under the wrapper.

I would be surprised if the Callaway store was sold out of most things by Sunday based on the number of cars in the parking lot Saturday. I wrote it off to the novelty of a new store.

As for the bugs... just a little more protein for the poor people.