Local player makes the Major Leagues

cincymusiclover

I grew up in Charles County but live outside of Cincinnati,OH now. Last night I went to see the Reds game to catch our new rookie pitcher, Daryl Thompson. Boy was I surprised when I looked up at the scoreboard and it said his hometown was Mechanicsville, MD!! Turns out he is a graduate of La Plata High.

Have any other local baseball prospects made the majors??

Jackie

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I know of alot that have played different levels of minor leagued baseball but I can't think of any local players (SOMD) that have played in the bigs.

sockgirl77

Last one I can think of was Steve Farr. Played most of his career with KC

And the Yanks. My aunt dated him. Him and my mom were good friends. I can remember talking on the phone to him as a child. I asked him to "Pitch one for me Stevie". :lol:

OldHillcrestGuy

There was another guy, think he was from Thomas Stone who made it to the majors about 10yrs ago, didnot last long, think maybe he played for the Twins. Come on someone help me out here, he came back to the Waldorf area after his major league career was over.:shrug: Think he was a pitcher.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
On the ladies side, Megan Elliot (Calvert HS) is pitching for the ASU Sun Devils (NCAA Div 1 Champs) and is on the US Jr. National Team.

Could the next Cat or Jenny be from SoMd? :yahoo:

Aa3rt

Are you thinking of Tim Drummond?

There was another guy, think he was from Thomas Stone who made it to the majors about 10yrs ago, didnot last long, think maybe he played for the Twins. Come on someone help me out here, he came back to the Waldorf area after his major league career was over.:shrug: Think he was a pitcher.

Tim Drummond spent 3 seasons (or portions of seasons) with the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Minnesota Twins.

Tim Drummond career record

Steve Farr also spent time with the Cleveland Indians (2 stints) and finished his career wth the Boston Red Sox.

Steve Farr career record

deemerma

Since I graduated from Stone in '97, I should know who you're talking about, but I'm at a loss. I know some of our football players were big at the college level, such as Wake Forest, but other than that...:shrug:

donbarzini

Last Twins pitcher I remember from Md was Eric Milton, but he grew up in Pa and went to U of Md

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Last Twins pitcher I remember from Md was Eric Milton, but he grew up in Pa and went to U of Md

I forgot about Farr.

Milton didn't play in SOMD but he did play in the same American Legion League Calvert was in.

When we went away on tournaments we would get him to come along and play for us. Very good player at that level, obviously.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I grew up in Charles County but live outside of Cincinnati,OH now. Last night I went to see the Reds game to catch our new rookie pitcher, Daryl Thompson. Boy was I surprised when I looked up at the scoreboard and it said his hometown was Mechanicsville, MD!! Turns out he is a graduate of La Plata High.

Have any other local baseball prospects made the majors??

Jackie
:sarcasm: I'm sure this new ballpark is going to create a ton of superstar talent from Charles County. :sarcasm:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Last one I can think of was Steve Farr. Played most of his career with KC

Ran around with his older brother and sister, think they moved to the La Plata area when Steve was 7th or 8th grade. Think he and my ex b-in-law were drafted by Pittsburgh the same year. Steve's arm made it thru the minor leagues, my b-in-laws didn't.

Last edited:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Adding to the above...purest ballplayer I ever saw before he hit the minors or majors was Harold Baines(Salisbury, I think?)..he had pro written all over him as a high schooler.