Locksmith that will program car key?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Ace Hardware in Lusby can do it no problem! They have the same type of key machine. They can cut keys and program most keys and fob/remotes. Employees at ACE are also super helpful and friendly.

Just another example of how sorry this Lowes is.
A big part of it, is Maryland law, not whether or not we want to perform the service.
Penalties, per occurrence, can be in the $1000's and months in jail.

Are you willing to go to jail for your employer?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Honda: I can use the key to unlock the door and start the engine. I don't know if it will shut off, but if the attached chip isn't engaged, it will sure as hell make the alarm system go off (which you can't turn off without the working fob)

Only one source for the key/fob - Honda. Arm and two legs.

calvcopf

A big part of it, is Maryland law, not whether or not we want to perform the service.
Penalties, per occurrence, can be in the $1000's and months in jail.

Are you willing to go to jail for your employer?
You are so full of crap! You are either seriously confused about many things or are just a compulsive liar.

Show me a Maryland law that says you have to buy the key blank at Lowes to get a key duplicate made.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
You are so full of crap! You are either seriously confused about many things or are just a compulsive liar.

Show me a Maryland law that says you have to buy the key blank at Lowes to get a key duplicate made.
That first, amazing analysis from a limited data set.

Looking at the Maryland law again, I was incorrect about the jail time. However, the fines are $1000 for 1st offense and $5000 for second and subsequent offense. Re-keying does, as I remembered, fall under the needs to be a licensed locksmith area of services.

A quote from the FAQ page... http://dllr.maryland.gov/license/locksmiths/locklicfaqs.shtml

2. What services require a license?
Repairing, rebuilding, rekeying, repinning, recombinating, adjusting, or installing mechanical, electrical, or electromechanical locking devices, safes, vaults, or safe deposit boxes; or operating a mechanical, electrical, or electromechanical locking device or opening safes, vaults, or safe deposit boxes by a means other than that intended by the manufacturer of such locking devices.

I've worked at Lowe's in 3 different states, none of which were licensed locksmiths.

There is an exemption, we can rekey locks we sell, at time of purchase. We have some leeway if you have a receipt and the lock has not been installed (like if you buy a lockset for home delivery off our website). We have kits for Gatehouse, Kwikset, Baldwin and Schlage. Some of our locations that sell Tell or Yale will also have those kits. We get $5 per key cylinder, a fee that has not changed in the 16+ years I've been with the company.

That second falls under liability. Why would I cut a key we do not sell, and cannot replace? If we did offer a service like that, there would be some way of charging for it, which there is not.

Also, the new machines we have, if the key is not one we sell, it is not in the system database, which would allow us to cut it.

It is long past the old machine on which I learned to cut keys over 50 years ago, where you clamped the original in one side that had a guide and the blank in the other side that had the cutter.

The newest machine has a camera scanner, a limited database and the function is controlled by a Windows 10 tablet, older machine is similar, but controlled by Windows XP.

The new system (even the slightly older machine that is controlled by a Windows XP tablet) is not as capable of doing non-vendor supplied blanks as even the previous machine with the cartridges that went away almost 2 years ago.

PeoplesElbow

Do some research, buy blanks on ebay, have a regular key place cut them and then I believe some place like Bulbs and Batteries can program them much cheaper than a locksmith or dealer.

I went through this a while back, couldnt program a new key myself because the guy i bought the car from only had the valet key which does not allow programming of new keys.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Do some research, buy blanks on ebay, have a regular key place cut them and then I believe some place like Bulbs and Batteries can program them much cheaper than a locksmith or dealer.

I went through this a while back, couldnt program a new key myself because the guy i bought the car from only had the valet key which does not allow programming of new keys.
Some of the car keys have to be put it in the car's ignition switch to program properly.
Others have varying levels of encryption.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I bought two blanks for my charger and went to Lusby Motors in PF and had the blanks cut. Went home and followed the directions and now both keys are programed and will start the car but the other buttons (trunk, lock, unlock, panic) do not work. I need to find out how to get those features programmed.

I found this and will try it this evening:
Step 1
Enter your car and press and release the "Lock" button on your remote five times in about ten seconds.
Step 2
Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the "Run" position, then press and hold the "Unlock" button on the remote.

Step 3
Continue holding the button and press and hold the "Panic" button for one second. Release both simultaneously.
Wait for the car to cycle its locks, then press both the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons on your remote, release, and then press and release just the "Unlock" button to finish the programming.

Itstillruns.com has other methods for other vehicles.

An update: I tried this method and it successfully programed my two new key fobs. Now my daughter has a key to the car and a spare.

Last edited: